REOs not performing well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
I have had few people send me their mods recently. They're aggravated they paid a lot of money for a mod and its not running like it was when they first got their mod.

I totally understand I would be unhappy myself. Their mods were dirty. It took me 10 seconds and they were running perfectly. I know this because I tested them before and after under load. If you want to have a mechanical mod you need to maintain it, simple as that. Mechanical mods are great if you understand them... you cant beat them for reliability. The down side is you have to clean them and apply noalox. For me its about every two months. For some, it could be less time or more.

The most important thing is keeping the positive battery contact clean. You need a small flat file or an emery board or even a piece of sand paper will work. Scuff up the point of the contact, put a drop of noalox on the very tip of the positive contact and your mod will run like its brand new.

You cant stop a mechanical mod it will run perfect for years and years if you just take the time to clean it properly. I hope people don't think I am going off on a rant. I am not. I am trying to help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
FYI, my Grand was still working great before I sent it to you. The atty connector had gotten a little bit wobbly, but that understandable considering the hundreds of times attys, cartos, and adapters were screwed in and out of that sucker.

I just figured after two years of hard use, I might as well let the modmaster give it a good once over. :D

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
FYI, my Grand was still working great before I sent it to you. The atty connector had gotten a little bit wobbly, but that understandable considering the hundreds of times attys, cartos, and adapters were screwed in and out of that sucker.

I just figured after two years of hard use, I might as well let the modmaster give it a good once over. :D
I gave it a once over all right you wait to you see what I did to it :evil:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Well, just because of this post I am going to grab the metal REO's I use every week and give them a good cleaning!

We do tend to get use to having a hassle free REO and at least I neglect a good cleaning more than I should.

I consider myself spanked!!!!

I kinda liked it though Robert.....:wub:

Northernshrink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Bracebridge Ont Canada
Reo's are like anything if you take care of them they will take care of you people just get lazy:blink:

For my mechanical mods I like to give them a good weekly bath in very hot water and use a toothbrush to clean all the nooks and crannies. Personally I have never found the need for nolax just a very rare scuffing of the firing pin.

The VV's are a bit of a different story just a good scrub with a moist rag I use a large syringe to give the feeder tube a good flush and like to give the juice well a thorough cleaning.

Having bought a cpl of mod's on the classies I can only imagine some of the nasty messes Rob has had returned to him with notes like my mod isn't firing properly etc . Well of course not stupid do you think the 1/8 of an inch of crusted juice slop everywhere may be your problem :facepalm:

Rant/Hijack over I apologize

harley05

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2010
Scarborough, Maine
I have had few people send me their mods recently. They're aggravated they paid a lot of money for a mod and its not running like it was when they first got their mod.

I totally understand I would be unhappy myself. Their mods were dirty. It took me 10 seconds and they were running perfectly. I know this because I tested them before and after under load. If you want to have a mechanical mod you need to maintain it, simple as that. Mechanical mods are great if you understand them... you cant beat them for reliability. The down side is you have to clean them and apply noalox. For me its about every two months. For some, it could be less time or more.

The most important thing is keeping the positive battery contact clean. You need a small flat file or an emery board or even a piece of sand paper will work. Scuff up the point of the contact, put a drop of noalox on the very tip of the positive contact and your mod will run like its brand new.

You cant stop a mechanical mod it will run perfect for years and years if you just take the time to clean it properly. I hope people don't think I am going off on a rant. I am not. I am trying to help :)

I have a Grand just like the one in the video. Was gonna send it in, but now I'll back up and try that first. Thanks Rob! And ignore the naysayers, they exist everywhere in society.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Just seeing that freaks me out (no wonder why my old Grand need your help...it was filthy). Obviously the very best way to clean your REO...great job Rob. :thumbs: Should I ever go metal again I'll revisit this video for sure. After I recently got my Woodvil back I'll make sure to clean connector often....but Im sure you'll understand I won't be putting the Tesla under the faucet. :lol:

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Just seeing that freaks me out (no wonder why my old Grand need your help...it was filthy). Obviously the very best way to clean your REO...great job Rob. :thumbs: Should I ever go metal again I'll revisit this video for sure. After I recently got my Woodvil back I'll make sure to clean connector often....but Im sure you'll understand I won't be putting the Tesla under the faucet. :lol:
Hello Gil many people give up on mechanical mods because they dont realize if the positive contact isn't clean the mod wont perform properly . The contact gets dirty and they feel they have to push the button hard to make the mod work properly . Some people end up bending the contact flat from applying to much pressure on the button . When all that was needed was to remove the oxidation buildup on the positive contact . You dont even have to clean the mod just the tip of the positive contact . So they get rid of there mod no realizing they just sold one of the best devices money can buy

Reactions: ENAUD

harley05

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2010
Scarborough, Maine

Rob if you're still here, would you recommend putting my Nebula under a faucet? Or if not whats the best way to clean it?

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Hello Gil many people give up on mechanical mods because they dont realize if the positive contact isn't clean the mod wont perform properly . The contact gets dirty and they feel they have to push the button hard to make the mod work properly . Some people end up bending the contact flat from applying to much pressure on the button . When all that was needed was to remove the oxidation buildup on the positive contact . You dont even have to clean the mod just the tip of the positive contact . So they get rid of there mod no realizing they just sold one of the best devices money can buy

:blush::facepalm:...that would be me.....

thisguy.jpg

embarassed1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread