Leaving the pass through plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 part question:

1) Has anyone had any issues with leaving the whole unit, atomizer, cartridge and pass through plugged into the usb power source for extended periods, even over night?

2) Has anyone had any issues with leaving just the pass through only connected to the usb power source for extended periods, even over night?

I just got mine yesterday and would rather learn from other peoples mistakes instead of my own.

Thanks,
Paul

jimgman

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2008
delaware
mines been plugged in straight for well over a week, and no problems, though the pc does shut down at night. i have that atomizer dedicated to the usb, so the whole thing hasnt been unplugged since i got it.id say it pretty safe. seems to me that it would be like saying you should unplug your keyboard and mouse every day:confused:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I'm afraid of the switch failing, which some here have reported. I am not electrically inclined so I'm not sure what the ramifications could be, but I figure I'm not going to risk my $800 Chinese product to a $15 Chinese product. LOL! There's no reason to not unplug it so that's what I do when I'm not sitting here.

The first time I used a USB passthough on my computer I got an error stating "USB Plug Overload" and quickly pulled it out--lucky no damage to my new computer--BUT no way was I going to try that again. That is why I ordered a USB Powerblock for 20 dollars. I know it has been stated on the forum that no reports of computers frying, but the passthough has no fuse in it and with the error message I got I am not risking it. Plus with the Power Block, I am not tethered to my computer for USB vaping.

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
I understand your concern Gabby

I have a passthrough too and I had it plugged into my computer till my USB portable power pack arrived. I disconnected it at night, using the "safely remove hardware" tab at the bottom of screen. After doing it the first time, the tab dissappeared.

I don't turn my comp. off every night (reboot) and it came back after I did, but I only use my portable or batteries from now on. I don't want to risk it either.

I've had mine for a few days now. Though I have it plugged into a USB2.0 hub that has it's own power block. I can even shut down the computer and use it since the hub is always powered through it's own brick.

I would think that plugging it into your keyboard port (like on a Mac) or into the front or back of your PC could cause problems since there is a maximum power load it can handle. Which incidentally is why USB hubs come with power bricks.
:thumb:

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
I got mine and it made an unsatisfying vape, my USB ports only output 500ma but the atomiser likes to have twice that power. Luckily I found my old ipod mains charger, it plugs into the mains and provides an amp via its USB port, works perfect now! I'm waiting for my USB battery to arrive and had the idea of getting me a USB splitter cable to allow the power of 2 USB ports to power the ecig much like some portable hard drives use. I leave it plugged in and powered on all the time, I am sure the crusty old ipod charger doesn't care :)

OK, so I've been experimenting with my USB passthrough and reading all these posts about a USB Hub not having a minimum of 1 amp.

So, I sit at my desk all day long anyhow. I don't need it for the car or whatever. So I scrounged around my electronic components and found a power cube from some old router or drive or something (don't know what it came from). Nevertheless, I read that it puts out 5VDC @ 2.5amps! Sweeeeet!

So I proceeded to hack off the USB plug on the passthrough and directly wired it into the newly found power cube.:thumbs:

So now I plug into the wall and straight into my vaporizer with cartridge! It works GREAT!!

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
OK, so I've been experimenting with my USB passthrough and reading all these posts about a USB Hub not having a minimum of 1 amp.

So, I sit at my desk all day long anyhow. I don't need it for the car or whatever. So I scrounged around my electronic components and found a power cube from some old router or drive or something (don't know what it came from). Nevertheless, I read that it puts out 5VDC @ 2.5amps! Sweeeeet!

So I proceeded to hack off the USB plug on the passthrough and directly wired it into the newly found power cube.:thumbs:

So now I plug into the wall and straight into my vaporizer with cartridge! It works GREAT!!

Wow you must be getting a great hit--but I think that would fry any atomizer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look out:confused:

Oh ye of little faith! :rolleyes:

It hits strong and hasn't missed a beat. Been using it every minute or two since I last posted. Dripping 2 small drops every 10-15 minutes. This thing KICKS hiney!

This is too much fun! :shock:

Wait, I'm think I'm feeling a little whoooosey...:confused:

Just kidding! :D

I'll let you all know tomorrow how it goes.

Last edited:

Duncan

Dec 19, 2008
North Wales, UK
I bought a USB portable power block for mine so I can vape anywhere with it and I never take it off unless I need to recharge the power block. I get 2 full days of heavy vaping with the usb battery block before the block needs recharging and a much stronger hit. Goodbye batterys!!

If this will power the Janty Classic Kissbox, via the USB connector, I want one! Could some kind soul post a link to one, preferably in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread