Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
After reading a recent post by Juicejunkie regarding surface area vs coil diameter, i decided to try what i would call a micro coil. I was already using tiny diameter coils, but wanted to take it a step further. I wound a very small diameter coil using one of these picture hanging nails (with the large head). I chose that because the big head was easy to grip and provided a good scrunching mass.

It is tiny in diameter - exactly 1/16" O.D. It is 10 or 11 (cant focus on it cause its so small) coils wide. I already threaded a piece of rolled cotton thru it to prove to myself that it could be wicked - it is that small. The I.D. Is barely larger than the era/hornet Allen wrench.

I had to quit to go pick up the young ones, but I will meter, install, photo and post the operation later.

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun

Last edited:

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
After reading a recent post by Juicejunkie regarding surface area vs coil diameter, i decided to try what i would call a micro coil. I was already using tiny diameter coils, but wanted to take it a step further. I wound a very small diameter coil using one of these picture hanging nails (with the large head). I chose that because the big head was easy to grip and provided a good scrunching mass.

It is tiny in diameter - exactly 1/16" O.D. It is 10 coils wide. I already threaded a piece of rolled cotton thru it to prove to myself that it could be wicked - it is that small. The I.D. Is barely larger than the era/hornet Allen wrench.

I had to quit to go pick up the young ones, but I will meter, install, photo and post the operation later.

Must have been a challenge to thread the cotton without binoculars! :) It would seem with that small of a coil/wick and cotton that you would need to squonk more often as to not burn what little wick there is in that microcoil?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
DSC04542.jpg

Preinstalled

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
DSC04547.jpg

Trimmed wick. So far vapes very nice. This coil metered at 1.51. I used 30 ga Kanthal A1. One might have to squonk more often (i dont know because I squonk alot anyway with the chalice because you can get away with it) however, that may attribute to more flavor?

The coil itself gets wet each time I squonk due to its proximity to the juice port. Pretty damn awesome. Almost like an Kanthal wick with a little cotton filler?

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
View attachment 184739

Trimmed wick. So far vapes very nice. This coil metered at 1.51. I used 30 ga Kanthal A1. One might have to squonk more often (i dont know because I squonk alot anyway with the chalice because you can get away with it) however, that may attribute to more flavor?

The coil itself gets wet each time I squonk due to its proximity to the juice port. Pretty damn awesome. Almost like an Kanthal wick with a little cotton filler?

So the verdict? With the smaller coil/wick theory of more wraps and surface area can you tell a difference in flavor, vapor, warmth over "regular" size coil/wick you used before?

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio
thats exactly what i did about an hour ago, pulling the cotton through was tough

mine also metered at 1.5

first time using a cottonball, hope my wife doesn't mind lol (hope it was the right kind of cotton, it said 100 pure cotton??)

how is it possible to oversquonk a reomizer? would the juice have to be a 1/4 inch deep?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
So the verdict? With the smaller coil/wick theory of more wraps and surface area can you tell a difference in flavor, vapor, warmth over "regular" size coil/wick you used before?

I like the setup. It is more ohms but equal or better vape than less ohms wIth larger dia coils. There isn't much flavor in unflavored nic, sort of tastes like a Marlboro light. I like it. I would recommend the setup and request opinions from flavor groupies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
thats exactly what i did about an hour ago, pulling the cotton through was tough

mine also metered at 1.5

first time using a cottonball, hope my wife doesn't mind lol (hope it was the right kind of cotton, it said 100 pure cotton??)

how is it possible to oversquonk a reomizer? would the juice have to be a 1/4 inch deep?

Dan, from what I can see in pix, it looks like the juice tube protrudes off the flat floor of the REOmizer? That would mean that the juice would collect in it, rather than wet the goods then flow back down the port that sits flush in the sloped floor chalice. So it could, in theory be over squonked to the point where your flooding your coil and over cooling it producing a less than optimum vape?

As for cotton, I got sterile as it appears to be the most pure? Dunno.

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
As for cotton you can buy organic cotton balls. No pesticides used in the growing and it's treated differently in the processing. Just sounds like a better option and for how many wicks you can make out of a bag, why not.

LT, where did you find the organic? I will try my local health food / medicine store...

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
LT, where did you find the organic? I will try my local health food / medicine store...

Actually I haven't bought any yet as its a drive out of my way. Will be picking up soon. Two drug stores in my area carry it....CVS and Walgreens. At least they show it being carried in the stores when I looked at their websites. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/studio-35-beauty-organic-cotton-balls/ID=prod6097939-product

And. http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Organic-Triple-Size-Cotton-Balls?skuId=405326

Last edited:

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
Actually I haven't bought any yet as its a drive out of my way. Will be picking up soon. Two drug stores in my area carry it....CVS and Walgreens. At least they show it being carried in the stores when I looked at their websites. Studio 35 Beauty Organic Cotton Balls | Walgreens

And. CVS Organic Triple Size Cotton Balls - CVS pharmacy

The local Walgreens in my area do, in fact, stock the organic version. I found it on the endcap of one their aisles. Bag looks a tad smaller than the non-organic and it cost a little bit more. Haven't bought any myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread