Wicks systems or Cartomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

derby62

Aug 7, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Been smoke free for almost a year straight! Tried to quit, several times (once for 7 months), after being diagnosed & treated for Oral cancer (i have a minor disorder, which they have recently found id directly related to oral cancer and my Dad passed 4/27/11 after a 7 year battle with same exact cancer...i'm answering before asked :)) So I'd love to hear some advise & opinions from some of the true experts...
Thank you in advance!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Congrats on almost a year. Sorry to hear about your issues and your Dad's passing. Cancer has also ravaged my wife's side of the family.
Here's some info:

Different delivery systems:- note bolded Atty, Carto, etc is the abbreviated form

Atomizer/ Atty- an element on to which 3-4 drops of juice is dripped- usually used for testing new juices because Attys are easy to clean. There are some diehard Atty users because it’s the best vape possible but very time consuming.

Cartridge/ Cart- a container with sponge (filled with juice) that is used with the Atty- juice drips on to Atty from filled cart and is vaporized- older outdated first “tank” system and prone to leaks unless the user is willing to buy extra seals and “fiddle” with them.

Cartomizer/ Carto- metal tube with stuffing and element. Holds anywhere form 1- 4 ml of juice. Carto is fully saturated and must be occasionally refilled when juice runs out. My Cartos last 1-2 weeks. Best Cartomizer I’ve found is the Smok Tech XL 1.7 single coil. Boge 2.0 ohm cartos will give a cooler vape. Always use single coil cartos with 3.3- 3.7 PVs for the best vape.

Carto+Tank- a Carto with a hole punched in it. Carto is than placed in a glass, metal or plastic tank which is filled with juice- juice saturates Carto by way of hole in Carto. My Cartos with a tank last, before tight draw occurs: light juices- 80-90 ml. dark juices- 50-60 ml.

Clearomizer (includes the Stardust and the Vivi Nova Tank)- a plastic or metal tank with a wick and element. Contains NO stuffing. The rebuildable clearos come with heads (coil+ wick) that can be cheaply $2.00) and easily ( 10 secs) replaced. When the head burns out simply unscrew the old head out and screw in new head- takes 10 secs. My Vivi Nova heads are lasting about 8 weeks BUT I wash the heads every few days. I've found the Vivi Nova to give the best draw. After 8 weeks my heads are stilling firing great but the wicks begin to shred.

When I first began vaping I used Boge 2.0 ohm single coil cartos (1 ml). After 1 month I switched to Smok Tech XL 1.7 single coil cartos (1.8 ml). Next I used a carto+and tank (3ml) setup. When the cracking and wicking issues were resolved I got into Startdusts (1.6 ml). I now use the Mini Vivi Nova (2.0 ml) rebuildables as I feel they give a better draw and are far superior in quality. It is VERY important to match the correct ohms delivery device to the PV we are using otherwise, dry hits or a weak vape will occur.

You have to be careful if vaping acidic juices as they will damage the plastic tanks. Some use a carto with the glass http://www.ibtanked.com/ As noted above (carto+ tank) the cartos must have a hole in them. You can either order pre punched or do it yourself.
There is a new glass “clearomizer” type tank with replaceable coils about to be released. Will wait for the reviews before buying.
http://www.sz-kanger.com/collections/kanger-protank

Last edited:

d3p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2011
Belgium
Congrats, keep strong and keep on vaping!
To be honest I think that you should give them both a try; purchase some carto's and a tank for them and some good clearos so you can decide for yourself which you like best. You can read all you want about them, but eventually it will boil down to putting them to the test. Maybe you'll enjoy and continue to use them both, as I do.

mirrorim

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
Rochester, NY
www.facebook.com
I've been vaping a little more than 3 weeks. My only experience with a stardust style clearo is with a Smoov XL clearo, I do not wish to comment on that since that was where I started and my experience got much better immediately after my first web order came in.

I also have been using the Mini Vivi Novas. They are great, very easy to clean and maintain and I have been able to get a lot of use out of these without changing the coil. I guess you can rebuild them too if you like to get into that.

Got a Drunker Tank as well, love it, but I'm nearing time to rebuild and don't currently have the supplies in order. I love this thing and I will definitely continue to use it for quite a while.

I picked up a SmokTank XL Dual Coil 1.5ohm Carto/Tank setup last night and a new bottle of liquid after I sampled a few at my favorite brick and mortar. I love it! Easily as clean and tasty as the Drunker Tank gives me, but way more consistant and less fiddling around with making sure wicks are working well.

I would definitely agree with d3p, you should try them both and decide where your preference lies. Who knows? You may find you like one or the other depending on what liquid you are using at the time. I personally plan on using both systems for the long haul, and expanding my stock on both sides.... there are so many things I want to try it may take quite a while. And yes, great post Vapoor eyes er!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.