Freaking Out the Checkout Girl at Wal-Mart (on accident)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathsMistress

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
jeneefowler.com
So, it's four in the morning and I need some tortillas and hair-dye (don't judge, I work strange hours) and I decide to go to the only open store (Wal-blah). While waiting in line I'm vaping per-the-norm when the girl behind me starts spouting off stuff about smoking an illicit substance. I don't even realize what she's saying until the cashier literally jumps away from her post and starts waving her arms like she's being swarmed by bees (with knives). So I'm like "no no, it's just vapor and it can't hurt you." And cashier's like, "I've never smoked anything in my whole life and it's bad enough when people come through my line smelling like *illicit substance* but, what if I breathed some of that in!" So, I'm calming her down explaining it's the same stuff in asthma inhalers or the poof at rock concerts and skating rinks and it's not a drug. The other girl went off again about how she'd be sure to use it for smoking *illicit substance*.

I wanted to konk her out with my Vamo but, instead I exited politely after explaining again that I don't do any of those things because they are illegal and it's just water vapor and there is no risk associated with second-hand vape.

DeathsMistress

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
jeneefowler.com
The next day another employee came up to us to tell us he'd just ordered his first kit. He was so excited. He said he'd read my blog after talking with us because he'd seen us vaping. I think it's worth it to deal with the few idiots here and there if I can possibly save/alter someone's life for the better. I'm not hiding in the shadows anymore. I vape and I'm proud. I will always try and be respectful and appropriate but I refuse to let the screaming idiots snuff out this amazing discovery. Everyone needs to know and the more of us there are, the less chance the FDA can just take them away from us on a whim.

Atlexus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2012
Norcross, GA
The next day another employee came up to us to tell us he'd just ordered his first kit. He was so excited. He said he'd read my blog after talking with us because he'd seen us vaping. I think it's worth it to deal with the few idiots here and there if I can possibly save/alter someone's life for the better. I'm not hiding in the shadows anymore. I vape and I'm proud. I will always try and be respectful and appropriate but I refuse to let the screaming idiots snuff out this amazing discovery. Everyone needs to know and the more of us there are, the less chance the FDA can just take them away from us on a whim.

good job!

-Atlexus

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
I vape in public also. I get strange looks all the time but no one has said anything to me. I vape in the grocery store, department stores, drug stores, any where I'm happen to be. I've never had anyone ask what it is but I'd be happy to explain if someone did. Educate the masses, they need it. Most smokers are always looking for a way to quit and a shocking amount of people know nothing about e-cigs. My wife says no one ask or says anything because I'm scary (6'3",220lbs, covered in tattoos) but I think it's because they are scared of looking ignorant. The only time I draw the line is if kids are in close proximity and that's just out of respect for the children.

OttoBahn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
I don't have any aversions to vaping in public places (I do it fairly often), but I can't imagine feeling the need to in a checkout line (at Wal-Mart, or anywhere else.) If I did though, I would likely prepare myself for the high potential for comments (such as the OP experienced.)

Typically - I chose to leave my PV in the car for quick run-in/outs (not always, of course - but I do tend to pick my vaping spots with the above in mind.):)

DeathsMistress

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
jeneefowler.com
One stupid situation diffused and one new vaper (and possibly his girl friend). The idea is to familiarise people with it, be respectful and informative. When I first tried vaping (and failed) I didn't know anybody else it had worked for or even tried it. My goal is to share this wonderful invention not to hide. Ten of my friends have started vaping locally and two from other states. Most of this stared with a simple "what's that?" I feel that vaping could potentially change the testy of my life and every one's life who ever tries it. A little ignorance is to be expected the moment we step out of our doors. I'm not in people's faces about it but, after hiding my horrible addiction for so long it's really nice to step in out of the cold.

Tober138

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
cHARLOTte, NC
I don't usually vape in public spaces like in line at a retail store, it would draw way too much attention in a line.

I don't either. I have never even considered vaping while in a store or standing in a check-out line. Its not like I can't wait until I'm outside.

In fact, it seems about as common and tacky as people who feel the need to yap away on their cel phones while strolling down the aisles.

Reactions: Garden gnome

paleocon12111971

Feb 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
I don't either. I have never even considered vaping while in a store or standing in a check-out line. Its not like I can't wait until I'm outside.

In fact, it seems about as common and tacky as people who feel the need to yap away on their cel phones while strolling down the aisles.

I've vaped in line at coffee shops and fast-food restaurants, but I haven't vaped in line at grocery stores (mainly because I'm too busy either fiddling with my wallet or the food that I wanted to purchase). I have vaped in many stores, but whenever I'm at the grocery store I always tend to forget my PV at home, so I can never use it.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
There's a huge difference between not hiding or educating and being "in your face" with other people whether you think what you're doing is harmless or not. No one, but no one, appreciates others shoving their personal likes/habits/behaviors down their throat. Education is fine but discretion is called for otherwise we'll all face more and more bans. When people feel helpless appealing to you when their personal boundaries are violated, you've created yet another person getting behind laws to control you.... march on to a bigger nanny-state.

Last edited:

2nd chance

Moved On
Jan 21, 2013
United States
I don't usually vape in public spaces like in line at a retail store, it would draw way too much attention in a line. I can wait until I'm outside. However I do stealth vape when no one is around and I feel like getting some nic

Same here :):)
And great post (above) Patkin!!!Clap Clap

Last edited:
i have vaped on an airplane and in an airport,I vape everywhere I just don't blow vapor in peoples face

I had airport security follow me around the terminal at DFW Airport for almost an hour while I was waiting for my roommate to land, about a month ago. They finally cornered me by one of the snack bars and confronted me about my e-cig. When I showed them (and explained to them how it works) they backed off and left me alone.

I would honestly be a little nervous about vaping while on a flight though....

jeffd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
ontario
we recently came back from a trip to Dominican Republic and had already decided that I would not vape on the plane. I did stealth vape while waiting for my flights but my thoughts are why create a situation when not needed. I chomped on some Nic gum for the flights and dug into my carry on bag for my pv as soon as I was off the aircraft. I'm not out to prove anything or to educate anyone. Common sense and respect for others goes a long way. For everything, there's a time and a place.
kcvo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread