Vaping is making me sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannavaap

Jan 3, 2010
VA
Ok, I'm new to vaping. I smoke a pack to a pack and a half of Marlboro Lights a day. My goal was to quick cigarettes all together and just vape. I have started with the blu to keep the testing cost down. Here is my problem. After about a day on the blu medium carts, I started getting headaches and my neck began to ache like crazy. At first I thought it may be too much nicotine and then began to wonder if it was the PG. I don't believe I am over vaping. I am using the blu like a standard cigarette. 10 to 15 drags and I put it down. I have ordered the Johnson Creek low PG smoke juice and I like it. HOWEVER, I am still getting monster headaches. Their sample pack comes in 24 mg of nicotine only. I also cut it in several different methods, but that didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations to help me out.

Clem68W

Dec 29, 2009
Hawaii
It may be a more mechanical problem. I got headaches and a tiny bit of neck strain my first week most likely because I was smoking the 510 like a crack pipe and probably because I was trying very hard to get a "analog" hit. I'm also still going through withdrawals (24mg just doesn't seem to be doing it for me), and that makes life suck a little, too.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ok, I'm new to vaping. I smoke a pack to a pack and a half of Marlboro Lights a day. My goal was to quick cigarettes all together and just vape. I have started with the blu to keep the testing cost down. Here is my problem. After about a day on the blu medium carts, I started getting headaches and my neck began to ache like crazy. At first I thought it may be too much nicotine and then began to wonder if it was the PG. I don't believe I am over vaping. I am using the blu like a standard cigarette. 10 to 15 drags and I put it down. I have ordered the Johnson Creek low PG smoke juice and I like it. HOWEVER, I am still getting monster headaches. Their sample pack comes in 24 mg of nicotine only. I also cut it in several different methods, but that didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations to help me out.

You may be having an adverse reaction to the PG... You should switch to 100% usp VG... and I would recommend... the usual conversion is 8-10 drags to one cigarette and instead of 24mg, 18mg, or 11mg.. try ordering some 6 or 8mgm maybe 11. These are more comparable to a marlboro light... headaches are the first sign of high nic concentration in the system. If you start having constant diarrea, uncontrollable esophigial philangea(i), dizziness, and/or nausea consult a doctor. Low concentrations of nicotine stimulate concentration and mental well being.. but high concentrations begin to act like poison on the body.
Just a little info on nic itself. Every cig is est. to have .08 mg of nic. 20 cigs per pack rank in at 16mg. Every pack has this without regard to flavor strength. Light, ultra lite, full flavor... no difference as pertaining to nic level just flavor. Most start vaping at higher nic levels as a reward to deter them from reverting to the analog.. I always recommend to play around in the 8mg to 18 mg area rather than automatically jump to 24 and above.
Just remember there is a learning curve to this.. once you find the perfect moderation for you... I am sure you will truly enjoy vaping and leave those coffin nails behind.

Happy Vaping..
Tom:thumbs:

P.S. I forgot to mention.. the neck thing with the headache is also a tale that you are trying to drag on this apparatus just like a cig. Can't do that.... It is better while vaping to take slow, evenly pressured drags.... That is don't enhale too strongly using a lot of pressure and try to be moderate. I usually try to equally drag for four seconds each time .. nice and slow with an even pull. Sometimes.. If I really need that fix.. I will do what is called a primer puff.. this is simply a quick three pulls to get the cart primed followed by a long steady five or six second drag. This just gets me back from being a little edgy if I was away from my vape too long..LOL

Last edited:

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The reduced PG formulas are a good angle, even pure VG formula would be worth a try.

I had pretty bad headaches at first, I think it was from the nicotine and the fact that I was constantly fiddling around with my PV trying to use it right, so I was vaping more than I should have been. It also could have been a withdrawl symptom from cigarettes. There are a TON of other chemicals and additives in tobacco cigarettes that you are no longer consuming, so there are likely some side effects fnow that your body is no longer getting those.

Try lowering the nic, try and take it easy with the vaping, take 10 puffs, sit it down for 15 mins.

It would also suggest to contact your doctor to let him/her know what you are doing, and your concerns. They may be able to give you an idea if PG is/could be the cause.

What I did to deal with my headaches, was to take a couple of tylenol. That helped me out a bunch, and eventually I stopped getting any headaches at all.

As for nicotine levels, cutting that 24 down with some 0-nic of the same flavor would stretch the juice out more, without losing any flavor.

Worst case, hang onto that stronger juice for a later day, and look into getting some 8-12mg liquid. If necessary, look into getting some snus to keep you off the analogs while you wait for some lower nic juice to arrive.

Best of luck, and don't forget about contacting your doctor.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Headaches for me are a common sign of mild dehydration. Muscle aches can also come with the beginning of dehydration. PG (and VG to some extent I've found) is drying/dehydrating. Drink a ton more water/Gatorade/whatever noncaffeinated and see how you feel.

I've been pacifier vaping to avoid the smokes during these first couple months of tapering/quitting, so I've been doing a lot more deep breaths to vape than I would otherwise. That will dry up your mouth and dehydrate you.

Nicotine's also a vasoconstrictor, which can worsen headaches, but that would only be likely if your body is getting more nicotine than it's used to, and you'd probably have anxiety and a racing heart then too.

Many of us got various symptoms when we started vaping. It's hard to sort out whether it's due to stopping smoking, nicotine excess (if we're consuming more), nicotine withdrawal (if we're consuming less), dehydration, or actual PG intolerance. But not all symptoms are PG intolerance.

Hope your headache goes away.

phillyd

ECF Veteran
I had a migraine the first couple of days that I quit and just contributed it to cigarette withdrawals. They eventually went away with the help of Tylenol. I don't think it was from the juice type as I was vaping and smoking for at least a month before I quit and didn't have any headaches.
To be sure though, I eventually switched over to Intellecig EcoPure Rich in 30mg and I only experience true vaping pleasure. I will not go back to any type of DEKANG liquids anymore as they just taste foul to me. I don't trust PG either no matter what anyone has to say about how safe it is. It may be but I just don't have good throat hits with it or vapor and like I said it all just tastes nasty. Just my take. But no matter what you choose, an e-cig is the way to quit as it has been 64 days for me. Good Luck, Phil

Thatdamncat

Aug 29, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
if you smoked a 1&1/2 packs a day and have switched to LOW juice, you are probably getting your headaches from nicotine withdrawal. Because you were a heavy smoker, I highly doubt your problems stem from too much nicotine. You would probably benefit from a higher dose liquid to start with. PG allergies are possible, but unlikely as they are very rare. I smoked a pack a day and started with 24mg and could tell I was getting less nic. than I was used to (I now use 12mg and plan on going to 0).
Another thing to consider, is that the lack of chemicals other than nicotine are causing your symptoms. I had a friend who switched from marlbs to American Spirt cigs to avoid chemical additives and she suffered headaches and insomnia from chemical withdrawal.
I would suggest trying a higher dose to keep you away from those tempting smokes and that you stick with it. After smoking for 10+ plus years, I didn't think I'd be able to quit but I've been smoke free since Aug :)! Good luck!

Blooper

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Vegas
I smoked 1-2 packs a day and found that 18-24 mg was good for me. There is some trial and error with each individuaL regarding the proper nicotine level when your first starting out. I would recommend emailing blu or whoever about sending you a sampler type package with different strengths so you can see what works best with your body. There is also some technique and adjusting as to how you're vaping. Long, slow, relaxed drags work best for me. Be gentle. You should not be dragging on your PV the same way you would on a cig. I do not believe a headache and neck cramps alone is cause to worry about allergy to PG. If you had an allergic reaction you would have other symptoms such as an extremely sore throat and uncontrollable coughing and discomfort in the lungs I think. I would try some different nic levels and relax my vaping style if I were you. You should tell Blu about your issue and see if they would help you out with a discount or something on a sampler pack for different nic lvls.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
Wife and I had this discussion last night. I have some 30mg m/boro and 18mg Coffee both VG. I am using the 30 and only take 3-5 "drags" when I vape. Guess what, I am getting too much nicotine. She switched to the 18 and it allows her to vape more without getting that HUGE nicotine rush when she does. I ordered some 24mg (though its PG) mistakenly... so probably will make a trip down to Richmond to pick up some lower mg stuff and maybe some 0 to cut this with. Also, notice you are in VA, check out nosmokeva in richmond if anywhere close. Jimi sells VG juice.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
For anyone pondering the amount of nicotine they may be getting using an e-cig, here are some good articles to help you either suss things out or, at least introduce you to some of the immense amount information available on the forum.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...efficient-e-cigarettes-nicotine-delivery.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...g-i-think-i-know-about-vaping-vs-analogs.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/dvap/391-whats-scientist-do.html

And for those with the technical ability to follow it
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ow-much-nicotine-destroyed-during-vaping.html

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Madame Psychosis is on-target here. Very few people have any true allergic reactions to PG, or VG for that matter. But both are humectants. The areas they coat will release moisture to the air if the air is drier than the mouth interior. That's often the case, but is absolutely the worst in winter, with cold, dry air being sucked in.

Your nose might crack and bleed, your skin itches, your lungs seem to gasp for air. And dry air warmed up is just as bad. Your body is radiating its moisture! Dry air sucks. It's not cold temperatures that cause germs to bring you down; it's low humidity cracking the areas where germs enter - throat and nose.

Solution: Drink lots of water, Gatorade or something non-caffeinated. You won't find some magic e-liquid that solves the problem. Once you begin drying out, you will get headaches and muscle cramps. Athletes know this well.

Present conditions in the U.S. are turning us into human jerky! Stay hydrated.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Thats a Bold Statement Bob.
I think TropicalBob's making a safe statement. The best data I can find on the incidence of any type of PG sensitivity in the literature on a very cursory search comes from this very large meta-analysis:

In the several publications reviewed in this article, propylene glycol (PG; 1,2-propylene glycol) is described as a very weak contact sensitizer, if at all. However, particular exposures to PG-containing products might be associated with an elevated risk of sensitization. To identify such exposures, we analysed patch test data of 45 138 patients who have been tested with 20% PG in water between 1992 and 2002. Out of these, 1044 patients (2.3%) tested positively, 1083 showed a doubtful, follicular or erythematous reaction (2.4%) and 271 explicit irritant reactions (0.6%). This profile of patch test reactions is indicative of a slightly irritant preparation, and thus, many of the 'weak positive' reactions must probably be interpreted as false positive. No private or occupational exposures associated with an increased risk of PG sensitization were identified, except for lower leg dermatitis. Therefore, according to our patch test data, PG seems to exhibit very low sensitization potential, and the risk for sensitization to PG on uncompromised skin seems to be very low.

True allergies are actually a small subgroup of those and indeed are even rarer. This abstract, though I'll dig up the full text when I get on Medline, defines four subgroups of PG intolerance/sensitivity:
(a) irritant contact dermatitis, (b) allergic contact dermatitis, (c) non-immunologic contact urticaria, and (d) subjective or sensory irritation.
(urticaria = hives)

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
It's always an amazement to me how people who have been smoking chemical soup cigarettes for years suddenly become "sensitive" to e-cig juices!!! THINK ABOUT IT.
Your body is finally able to gather and expel chemicals that are deposited throughout every tissue in your body, and you complain of a headache? Wow. Most people's "headaches" are usually just over-worked facial muscles, you are drawing too hard and too often.
There are over 4000 known used chemicals to treat inferior tobacco to give you a smoker's delight akin to a free-basing nicotine hit. And 24mg/ml of juice makes you sick?
Really, it's not likely you will ever get an overdose of nicotine unless you're drinking it straight out of the bottle. Find a density that keeps that Devil away, and never go higher than you need. And put the darn PV down once in awhile. RELAX, and trust what you're trying to do is right. It's been "Right" for thousands of people here.
VG and PG sensitivity? That's something that will present itself after a month or so of over-vaping. I did develop an aversion to PG myself, it's very unpleasant and does get worse cummulatively. Switch to VG, not quite so drying. DRINK WATER, Gator-aide, cranberry juices, green tea, increase your veggies and whole grains, use anti-oxident foods and drinks to help your poor body rid itself of poisons. AND DO GET SOME exercise. Walking and breathing with some vigor will help your body recover faster than you ever imagined. So get up out of that chair!!
Long, slow, easy draws from your PV will give you the best vapor production, and your nicotine. Your headache may be from trying to suck Carbon Dioxide out of a tailpipe (calm yourself down, this isn't going to hurt a bit!) Over-vaping with a higher Nic density will give you a headache. Just slow down your cadence a bit.
Give your body a couple months to come to terms with withdrawal symptoms. It will happen. The most important thing is to realize you are in a potentially much safer place, finally.....there are three ingredients to worry about, nicotine, VG or PG, and and a well performing PV. THIS IS YOUR NEW REALITY. The hand-to-mouth habit is the hardest part of all this to lose. But that will happen, also, just give yourself some time. Lately I've been forgetting where I put mine down. That's a GOOD thing!
Now the thing is to deal with dead batteries, dry or dying atomizers, and finding a suitable strength juice to keep your comfort zone. DO NOT PANIC, but do be prepared with replacement parts, a nice juice stash. It's not like you can run to a gas station for a fix quick. This vaping thing requires some planning and forethought. Cigarette smoking is a death sentence. Nicotine does not kill, smoke does. And it is no longer an option if an e-cig isn't working for you. So the only thing left is BIG PHARMA or COLD TURKEY. Your choice. Whichever choice you make will not be easy to pull off, unfortuately...it takes time, and you getting a grip on your over-use of the Panic Button.
Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread