VAMO OHM Error FIX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KerryK

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2012
Madtown, WI
So my new VAMO started reading OHM's like 9.9ohm and certain 510 devices stopped working. This link on Reddit was posted in a thread here on ECF, it was a huge find for me so I wanted to give it more attention.

The problem is from over-tightening and pushing the center pin down too far. There is a small white gasket that needs to be under the center connection, this pushes up the center pin to make the connections. If the gasket is missing or the center connection is pushed into the gasket you will get issues with firing and ohm reading.

I used a blunt dental tool and carefully pushed the white gasket back under the center pin, and tightened my vivi very gently and it works like it should. I'm going to follow this advice and replace the gasket as it seems to be a great fix.

Here it is:

"I literally just went through this with my SS Vamo earlier this evening. I just received an AGR cartotank from Steammonkey and the 510/510 adapter piece pushed my center pin down into the washer. I screwed it on really tight which I guess isn't necessary. After the fix below I screwed it down as far as it would go and it didn't push the pin down again so I'd say its a success.

Here's what I did to resolve it and actually improve it.

• Remove the original washer (with tweezers.)
  • Push up the center pin with a tiny screwdriver (or toothpick.) Work around the edges so its more or less up.
  • Go to Home Depot (Lowes should have them too, OSH did not) and buy new #60 size washers (Plumbing section.) They are almost twice as thick and black. It was $2.47 for a pack of 10 or something.
  • Cut the new washer in one spot with scissors
  • With the tiny screwdriver / toothpick (this will probably be really difficult with a toothpick as it requires quite a bit of pressure) push the new washer down (hard) diagonally away from the center pin. You should feel and hear a light pop. I believe this is the washer either getting under the center pin or the threading on the inner wall.
  • Continue to do this "threading" around the center pin in by pushing down on the washer diagonally in small increments from one side of the cut in the washer, to the other. The last 25% will be the most annoying as it gets harder. You want to get the washer under the center pin so act accordingly.
  • Toward the end the center pin will be roughly 50% over the washer, and 50% under. Just keep threading around toward the other end of the cut you made. Finally when you feel the washer won't go under the center pin any further with this method, attempt to get your tiny screwdriver under the center pin on the side thats still under the washer and pop it over the remaining washer.
Tedious and annoying but it only took me 5 minutes. The new washer is thicker and tighter and shouldn't get pushed down again.
Edit: I read a less detailed version of this on ECF forums and that user said to cut the washer in half. I wasn't having luck with that and found it easier to do it with just 1 cut but you may want to try both to find the path of least resistance for you."

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/17ai9i/low_ohm_reading_on_vamo/c83uj18

Last edited:

Day

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Thats exact brand number and item number I just bought... those are the ones. It's much smaller than that picture makes it seem. You can see a better pic of it compared to the white washer that comes with the vamo in the reddit link in the OP. At first it will seem impossible but it does go under there.. I put a clearo on tight and no issues now.

Last edited:

45root

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
montgomery, AL
Was this just a certain batch that had this problem? I've had mine for a couple of months and I've never had any problem with mine at all.

I am just rough on mods. Broken a vamo, a sigelei telescope, a plastic bolt and a vmax. all the 510 connectors.

and I just fixed it. I just took a drip tip o-ring and basically cut it in half. I already had the positive pin pulled out from my previous attempts to repair it. This time I just cut a drip tip o-ring in have and followed the OP instructions the best I could. It worked. :D happy guy now. I had no way to check the ohms on my rbas.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
This 'washer' is most likely the top portion of the grommet that isolates the center pin from the sides of the battery connector. Over tightening (and normal wear over time) can cause the top section (washer) of the grommet to be cut off of the rest of the grommet. The center pin then touches the outer section of the connector and causes a short.

Here's a picture of the center pin grommet from Avid Vaper
IMG_0657__29691.1316761780.1280.1280.jpg

With the washer fix, you'll still have to be careful when you tighten your atty/tank/carto.

Day

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Wow that's interesting and gives me even more insight on what exactly happened, and why after putting that white "washer" back in it did not work properly... and this seems to be the trend on others who have this issue. I will say though, I see a lot of blaming on "over tightening" when I don't think that's the case really. I don't crank down on anything but I do expect my clearos etc to not wobble all over the place.

I think the real culprit is 510-Ego adapters, as almost everyone I've seen with this issue has used one. I closely inspected the adapter and when you put it on a clearo theres an extra little nub that pops down. This seems to be a sliding piece that you can push back up in there when it's off a clearo. I really didn't tighten the thing like a mad man when it first broke. I think those adapters are about an 1/8th inch too long when they are on a clearo.

The new black washers described in the thread are much thicker, so much so it almost seems like it would be impossible to get it on there, but once it's there, it would take some serious, serious cranking to push that pin down past it. I'm not even sure it's possible to tighten it that much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread