What does "protected battery" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeannieB360

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2009
Central New Jersey, USA
Colors matter to some extent, but only within the line/brand of batteries. My original 18350's are unprotected, and thay are yellow/orange; my new ones are protected and they are royal blue.

But I'm reasonably certain I saw both unprotected and protected versions of one brand of 18650's that were both red, but they had different patterns of black and white stripes.

If you look at the negative side of a protected battery, you MIGHT be able to see the outline of a little printed circuit card under that bottom 'cover'

prof beard

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Stafford UK
Most protected batteries are only protected against under/over charge, some are also protected against short-circuit. Used PROPERLY in an e-cig and charge in a PROPER charger (which has protection built in), problems with unprotected batteries should be VERY rare indeed - many reported problems (I'm not saying all) are caused by "misuse/mischarging".

fatalis

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
www.myspace.com
Colors matter to some extent, but only within the line/brand of batteries. My original 18350's are unprotected, and thay are yellow/orange; my new ones are protected and they are royal blue.

But I'm reasonably certain I saw both unprotected and protected versions of one brand of 18650's that were both red, but they had different patterns of black and white stripes.

If you look at the negative side of a protected battery, you MIGHT be able to see the outline of a little printed circuit card under that bottom 'cover'

Can I buy these batteries anywhere? Like Radio Shack or Best Buy? :)

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
Here's what the protection circuit looks like.

prot1.jpg

pc.jpg

Sign-Man

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Adding to Houdini's post:

The voltage of a Li-poly cell varies from about 2.7 V (discharged) to about 4.23 V (fully charged), and Li-poly cells have to be protected from overcharge by limiting the applied voltage to no more than 4.235 V per cell.

Overcharging a Li-poly battery will likely result in explosion and/or fire.

Personally speaking for myself I would have a problem constantly thinking about having a potential explosion and/or fire hanging in front my face..

Use protected batteries always!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread