Status
Not open for further replies.

pmos69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2011
Portugal
Does anyone know what is the influence of temperature in the break down of PG into formaldehyde?

Apparently there is also a process for VG to turn into formaldehyde, but it may be different. (oxidation or hydrolysis of glycerin?).

The questions arise from the recent studies that detected formaldehyde in e-cigs but with big variations between e-cig brands.

It would be important to determine the important factors in the generation of formaldehyde so better design choices could be made.

Formaldehyde is definitely something that should be avoided as much as possible.

ninfreak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2011
burkesville, kentucky
the temps needed to cause this are unobtainable with vaping gear. as long as the wick is wet you are keeping vg/pg at or under boiling point. there may be trace amounts of things like this in nic due to how nic is extracted. you would probably stop vaping if you knew the chemicals used to extract nic if you are this concerned about what the fda is "claiming" they found in nic juice, which as far as im concerned is fear mongering and nothing but, or a sign of china quality control......which these tests where conducted on chinese liquids not u.s. liquids

Last edited:

pmos69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2011
Portugal
the temps needed to cause this are unobtainable with vaping gear. as long as the wick is wet you are keeping vg/pg at or under boiling point. there may be trace amounts of things like this in nic due to how nic is extracted. you would probably stop vaping if you knew the chemicals used to extract nic if you are this concerned about what the fda is "claiming" they found in nic juice, which as far as im concerned is fear mongering and nothing but, or a sign of china quality control......which these tests where conducted on chinese liquids not u.s. liquids

No, not because of any FDA claim.
Recent vapor studies have found formaldehyde on e-cig vapor. See the previous post for an example.
The amounts found vary a lot between different e-cig models/brands, and can get to relatively high values (about half of what is found in cigarette smoke, on some models).
Those differences have got to have some cause in different characteristics of the e-cig models and/or liquids tested, be it coil temperatures, different PG/VG ratios, different e-cig materials, possible contaminations, etc.
It is in everyone's best interest to find the causes of formaldehyde generation causes in e-cigs and minimize them.

Woundtite

Oct 27, 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
I too am interested in finding out more on this topic. I agree with pmos69 that it's in everyones best interest to know more on this subject. The studies I've read always seem to suspect glycerin (PG/VG) as a possible hazard. Don't get me wrong, as a former 35 year smoker, I in no way believe that vaping can do anywhere near the harm to our body that cigarettes do. I just sometimes wonder if there is an alternative to glycerin. Maybe a plant extract, or natural oil that has simular atributes (vaporization/evaporation) to glycerin.

pmos69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2011
Portugal

Some additional materials from that study:

testatutnesteetzpsbf53e.jpg

Interesting to notice the difference between stated and real levels of nicotine.

models.png

extraction.png

SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIALS – MATERIALS AND METHODS

Supplementary Table 1 - Detection and quantitation limits

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Dr. Mike and those suspecting PG in the formation of formaldehyde appear to be wrong. The particular study mentioned here does not specify the specific makeup (or PG versus glycerin content) of the liquids studied.

BUT, many of the same authors are presenting a paper at the SRNT meeting in Boston this week that DOES. And from the following it is pretty clear that indeed it is glycerin, and not PG, that is associated with formaldhyde (and acrolein) being found in vapor:

SUBSTANTIAL REDUCTION IN EMISSION OF SELECTED CARBONYLS
AND VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS FROM ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES
COMPARED TO TOBACCO CIGARETTES

Andrzej Sobczak, Ph.D.*1,2, Leon Kosmider1,2, Maciej L. Goniewicz, Ph.D.3,4, Jakub
Knysak2, Marzena Zaciera, Ph.D.5, and Jolanta Kurek5, 1Institute of Occupational
Medicine and Environmental Health, Sosnowiec, Poland; 2Medical University
of Silesia, Katowice, Poland;3Queen Mary University of London, UK; 4Roswell
Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, USA; 5Institute of Occupational Medicine and
Environmental Health, Sosnowiec, Poland

Significance: Electronic cigarettes (ECs) are purported to deliver nicotine vapor
without any toxic substances generated from tobacco combustion. However, using
ECs involves heating a nicotine solution to high temperatures. This may induce
chemical reactions which result in the possible formation of carbonyl compounds
(CCs) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Many CCs and VOCs are common
tobacco-specific toxicants with proven carcinogenic and cardiotoxic properties. Aim
of the study:The aim of the study was to quantify and compare the levels of selected
CCs (formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein, acetone, propanal, butanal) and VOCs
(benzene, toluene, etylobenzene and ortho-, meta-, para-xylene) in EC nicotine
refill solutions, vapors generated from ECs,and mainstream smoke from tobacco
cigarettes. Methods: Six commercially available nicotine refill solutions for ECs
(Chic Group Ltd. Poland) were examined. Three solutions contained a mixture of
propylene glycol and glycerin (Volish brand) as a solvent for nicotine, while the
other three contained only propylene glycol (Mild brand). Thirtypuffs were taken
using an automatic smoking machine. Mainstream smoke was generated from
a3R4F reference tobacco cigarette. CCs were extracted from vapor and smoke to
solid phase with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine, and analyzed using HPLC/DAD. VOCs
were absorbed on activated carbon and analyzed with GC/MS. Results:Traces of
acetaldehyde were detected in all examined EC solutions(0.081±0.042 μg/mL).
Acetaldehyde was found in all EC vapors (0.153±0.116 μg/30 puffs), but at levels
more than a thousand-fold lower than in tobacco smoke. Formaldehyde and acrolein
were only found in vapors generated from glycerin-based solutions (0.116±0.022
and0.110±0.190μg/30 puffs) and in tobacco smoke (12 and 32-fold higher levels,
respectively).
None of the examined VOCs were detected in the vapors, while all
were found in tobacco smoke. Conclusions: In contrast to tobacco smoke, the
vapors generated from ECs does not contain VOCs. Exposure to CCs from ECs is
significantly reduced compared to tobacco smoke and may be attributable to the
glycerin content in the nicotine refill solution.

Bookworm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
USA
Dr. Mike and those suspecting PG in the formation of formaldehyde appear to be wrong. The particular study mentioned here does not specify the specific makeup (or PG versus glycerin content) of the liquids studied.

BUT, many of the same authors are presenting a paper at the SRNT meeting in Boston this week that DOES. And from the following it is pretty clear that indeed it is glycerin, and not PG, that is associated with formaldhyde (and acrolein) being found in vapor:

SUBSTANTIAL REDUCTION IN EMISSION OF SELECTED CARBONYLS
AND VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS FROM ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES
COMPARED TO TOBACCO CIGARETTES

Andrzej Sobczak, Ph.D.*1,2, Leon Kosmider1,2, Maciej L. Goniewicz, Ph.D.3,4, Jakub
Knysak2, Marzena Zaciera, Ph.D.5, and Jolanta Kurek5, 1Institute of Occupational
Medicine and Environmental Health, Sosnowiec, Poland; 2Medical University
of Silesia, Katowice, Poland;3Queen Mary University of London, UK; 4Roswell
Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, USA; 5Institute of Occupational Medicine and
Environmental Health, Sosnowiec, Poland

Significance: Electronic cigarettes (ECs) are purported to deliver nicotine vapor
without any toxic substances generated from tobacco combustion. However, using
ECs involves heating a nicotine solution to high temperatures. This may induce
chemical reactions which result in the possible formation of carbonyl compounds
(CCs) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Many CCs and VOCs are common
tobacco-specific toxicants with proven carcinogenic and cardiotoxic properties. Aim
of the study:The aim of the study was to quantify and compare the levels of selected
CCs (formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein, acetone, propanal, butanal) and VOCs
(benzene, toluene, etylobenzene and ortho-, meta-, para-xylene) in EC nicotine
refill solutions, vapors generated from ECs,and mainstream smoke from tobacco
cigarettes. Methods: Six commercially available nicotine refill solutions for ECs
(Chic Group Ltd. Poland) were examined. Three solutions contained a mixture of
propylene glycol and glycerin (Volish brand) as a solvent for nicotine, while the
other three contained only propylene glycol (Mild brand). Thirtypuffs were taken
using an automatic smoking machine. Mainstream smoke was generated from
a3R4F reference tobacco cigarette. CCs were extracted from vapor and smoke to
solid phase with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine, and analyzed using HPLC/DAD. VOCs
were absorbed on activated carbon and analyzed with GC/MS. Results:Traces of
acetaldehyde were detected in all examined EC solutions(0.081±0.042 μg/mL).
Acetaldehyde was found in all EC vapors (0.153±0.116 μg/30 puffs), but at levels
more than a thousand-fold lower than in tobacco smoke. Formaldehyde and acrolein
and0.110±0.190μg/30 puffs) and in tobacco smoke (12 and 32-fold higher levels,
respectively).
None of the examined VOCs were detected in the vapors, while all

Thanks for posting this. It puts my mind at ease quite a bit. May be time to lower my vg a bit, though.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
The human body produces formaldehyde. It is carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.

I would like to see the tests run on the exhalation WITHOUT the vape as it is my understanding that you will detect it.

Harpocrates Speaks: Demystifying Vaccine Ingredients - Formaldehyde

What many people may not know is that our own bodies produce and use formaldehyde as a part of our normal metabolism (Final Report on Carcinogens Background Document for Formaldehyde[PDF], 2010). When we are exposed to methanol (e.g., via inhalation or ingestion of foods like citric fruits and juices, vegetables or fermented beverages), our bodies break it down into formaldehyde and other byproducts. Our bodies produce formaldehyde as a result of DNA demethylation (animportant process for controlling gene expression, e.g., in developing embryos) and other biological processes. It is such a regular part of human metabolism, that our normal, naturally produced blood concentrations are generally about 2-3μg of formaldehyde per gram of blood (or about 2.12-3.18μg/mL)*. And it is actually a pretty important chemical; our bodies use formaldehyde to form DNA and amino acids (Toxicological Profile for Formaldehyde [PDF],

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
As with most things, it's all a question of how much of the substance is there.
ex: I'm not worried about the amounts of dihydrogen monoxide detected in e-cig vapor for example, as I know the concentrations found are not enough to cause harm.

Two things:

1. I heat then filter dihydrogen monoxide through charred beans before drinking.

2. Lots of us use a mixture of PG/VG, and rebuild our own wicks, and use different wattages, and I'm sure the cleaning regimens and wattage vary a lot between users and even between stressful times vs. relaxed times. So if we have the choice of 1/10 of the ormaldehyde found in cigarettes vs. 1/2, I'd sure like to know whether I should be cleaning more often vs. breaking-in new wicks, etc.

For example, I need a higher voltage once my coil gets pretty caked up, but I'm too lazy to change it until the flavor starts going away.

Am I making things worse for myself or saving my behind? Could be either! If we can get someone to look into this for us, I'd donate $100. Others could maybe donate $5. Maybe we could ask Dr. Collins for a research connection.

Last edited:

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
and 0.110±0.190μg/30 puffs) and in tobacco smoke (12 and 32-fold higher levels,
respectively). None of the examined VOCs were detected in the vapors, while all

They need to go back to the lab and develop a new method for testing for acrolein, if this isn't a typo. :blink:

0.110 +/-0.190

If I had ever reported such a result to my boss when I was doing analytical work, he would have probably given me a Jethro Gibbs smack up side the head.

tenshi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
United States
Indoor air that contains formaldehyde should be below 123 μg/m3 in order for it to be safe.... below 50 μg/m3 shows no adverse affects. A typical home contains formaldehyde levels of 20-40 μg/m3. Another example, a southern California study measured an average formaldehyde concentration of 15.3 µg/m3 while in a vehicle.

According to what was posted here in this study, looking at the Supplementary table, they found 0.06 μg/m3 in this study just barely above the limit of detection which was 0.01 μg/m3...

So vape on :vapor:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread