Not open for further replies.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
So I'm contemplating a new Mini (yay)

My concern is that the batteries are only 700-900 mah, which will not last me the whole day. Well, that's not really a big deal, since I can carry a spare battery in my pocket. The concern is how to know when the battery needs to be replaced, and what happens if I let it get too low?

All my current mods have 18650ies, with 2000-3000 mah. By the end of the day, they are at about 3.7V, and I throw them in the charger.

What would happen if I overdischarge the 14500s in the Mini?
Would it be any better if I used protected batteries?
And if so, would they fit? :)

Thank you!
Commie

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
So I'm contemplating a new Mini (yay)

My concern is that the batteries are only 700-900 mah, which will not last me the whole day. Well, that's not really a big deal, since I can carry a spare battery in my pocket. The concern is how to know when the battery needs to be replaced, and what happens if I let it get too low?

All my current mods have 18650ies, with 2000-3000 mah. By the end of the day, they are at about 3.7V, and I throw them in the charger.

What would happen if I overdischarge the 14500s in the Mini?
Would it be any better if I used protected batteries?
And if so, would they fit? :)

Thank you!
Commie

Stick with the AW IMR 14500. Yes, you will need to pull and change more often. You will notice a drop in heat, vapor and flavor.

The protected batteries will fit but very tight. Virtually no room for the spring to collapse in case of a short.

Don't let them drop too far, not good for the battery. You can figure about 4 hours then change them with normal vaping using only the Mini.

You might consider the Mini 2.1. A larger battery that will give you a few more hours. Also the drip well is large enough for any RBA.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
batteryawimr14500.jpg

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Stick with the AW IMR 14500. Yes, you will need to pull and change more often. You will notice a drop in heat, vapor and flavor.

The protected batteries will fit but very tight. Virtually no room for the spring to collapse in case of a short.

Don't let them drop too far, not good for the battery. You can figure about 4 hours then change them with normal vaping using only the Mini.

You might consider the Mini 2.1. A larger battery that will give you a few more hours. Also the drip well is large enough for any RBA.

Thank you, Karen!
The reason I'm looking at a 14500 mini is for something more compact. As far as my pocket is concerned, there's little to no difference between my Grand and Mini 2.1. Height matters less in this case than thickness.
So, replacing every 4 hours will probably do it for me :)

FEEDER

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Geordieland UK
I've used 14500 batteries, for roughly a year, just recently got a reo mini, before that it was in a v mod, if you can get them yezl batteries are as good if not better than aw, they're 900mah, & on tests, by torchy the battery boy, perform better than aw's, they're cheaper, & protected, they also fit the mini, no problem, with plenty of room

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I've used 14500 batteries, for roughly a year, just recently got a reo mini, before that it was in a v mod, if you can get them yezl batteries are as good if not better than aw, they're 900mah, & on tests, by torchy the battery boy, perform better than aw's, they're cheaper, & protected, they also fit the mini, no problem, with plenty of room

Looks like I'm gonna have to go scouting - thanks!

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
I am not a battery expert so i'll get that out of the way.

If you run low ohm attys imr are the ticket as they can take a high amount of discharge rate as they have a low internal resistance. Vaping with low ohm attys do put a strain on the batteries. The imrs do have a different chemistry than regular protected lithium ion batteries thus they sacrific some of the capacity. They also dont start on fire but vent gas instead. They can easily handle the high drain applications that low rez attys require.

I dont know how Touchy runs his tests as i am not in the mood to read about it now. I do know that testing on torches or flashlights doesnt equate to testing on applications where high drain is being done. Perhaps touchy does that testing.

I do know that the builder of the Reo reccomends Aw IMRs so thats good enough for me.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Right, I understand.

One more question -- what happens if I accidentally overdischarge a battery? As in, keep using it after it runs too low?

Your wife smacks you in the back of the head for being a fool. JK.

I believe it reduces the life span of the battery resulting in having to buy more resulting in the aforementioned smack.

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun

FEEDER

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Geordieland UK
I am not a battery expert so i'll get that out of the way.

If you run low ohm attys imr are the ticket as they can take a high amount of discharge rate as they have a low internal resistance. Vaping with low ohm attys do put a strain on the batteries. The imrs do have a different chemistry than regular protected lithium ion batteries thus they sacrific some of the capacity. They also dont start on fire but vent gas instead. They can easily handle the high drain applications that low rez attys require.

I dont know how Touchy runs his tests as i am not in the mood to read about it now. I do know that testing on torches or flashlights doesnt equate to testing on applications where high drain is being done. Perhaps touchy does that testing.

I do know that the builder of the Reo reccomends Aw IMRs so thats good enough for me.
Unless you read how he tests them, you won know
I've got aw imr batteries here, & yezls, & I know for fact, that the yezls last longer per battery than the imr's do, now that is just my opinion, & I offered that opinion, to try & help a fellow Vaper , but obviously I shouldn't have ventured that opinion, as it differs to the norm, so it won't happen again

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Your wife smacks you in the back of the head for being a fool. JK.

I believe it reduces the life span of the battery resulting in having to buy more resulting in the aforementioned smack.

Hehe, I'll take the smack over an acidy explosion in my pocket. I'm not planning on having more kids, but I try to keep hot acid away from my lap, as a general rule :)

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Unless you read how he tests them, you won know
I've got aw imr batteries here, & yezls, & I know for fact, that the yezls last longer per battery than the imr's do, now that is just my opinion, & I offered that opinion, to try & help a fellow Vaper , but obviously I shouldn't have ventured that opinion, as it differs to the norm, so it won't happen again

Sorry, i really didnt mean to be confrontational. All opinions are welcomed. All the posts add up to important information that help others with their vaping. So keep on posting. Your opinions are welcomed and as valuable as anyone elses here. Once again i apologize for the "tone " of my post.

With a battery thats small like the 14500 its more important to run an imr than it is with a larger battery such as an 18650 if you are using low ohm attys.

Last edited:

FEEDER

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Geordieland UK
Sorry, i really didnt mean to be confrontational. All opinions are welcomed. All the posts add up to important information that help others with their vaping. So keep on posting. Your opinions are welcomed and as valuable as anyone elses here. Once again i apologize for the "tone " of my post.

With a battery thats small like the 14500 its more important to run an imr than it is with a larger battery such as an 18650 if you are using low ohm attys.

I've run nothing but lr306 attys for nearly a year, don't use anything else.
Torchy the battery boy, is the person, that most people on uk vapers turn too for battery questions, but obviously you know better

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Frank, we want to hear about all the options.....good information is good information. And Commie, you'll know when your battery is getting low. I used Minis MOST of the time during my first year with REOs, and you'll definitely know when the battery needs to be switched out because the vapor, the heat, and the flavor will be out the window. After a time or two of running one down, you'll get the routine going.....change the batts at lunch break.....or in the car on the way home....or whatever. I daresay you'll love the Mini if you've already tried the 18490 and found it too thick. The Mini is the cutest, tiniest little powerhouse you'll ever vape. No matter what other REOs I get (I'm amassing quite a collection!!) I'll always have a Mini in my purse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread