Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Does anyone have any experience with using EkoWool for wicks? Is there a US source for it?

I have seen quite a bit of very positive buzz about it on some of the European forums and I really want to try some. I believe it is what ships stock in the kayfun devices which are highly acclaimed as well. Some are calling it the "Ferrari" of silica wicks.

Here & here & here for example.

I have written the manufacturer in Russia, but their minimum order is $182 (includes shipping from Russia). If I cant find a US source is there any interest in a co-op purchase? I would be willing to do the legwork but I personally dont need 100 meters of wick. :facepalm:

It comes in 1, 1.5, 2, & 3mm sizes and I would get some of each. Cost (includes shipping from Russia but not US postal) would work out to be about $2 per meter.

Mike

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
One of your forum links says they buy it here: Silica Wick - 1, 1.5 and 2mm - Ecigwizard.com.

£1.99 / meter for 2mm. (about US$3.02, or close to $1/ft)

Looks like they ship to the US for £7.55 (about US$11.45), so not cheap unless people want to bundle orders.

I'm very tempted to just place an order. I've been using German silica (braided) from eBay and it's really a lot nicer than the common twisted stuff.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
@ Jeremy Evans: I would post in the coop section but I haven't been an active poster long enough, my "post count" is too low. While I have been lurking for months, I only recently registered and started posting. If I cant find any domestically then I would order all four sizes listed above, and yes they can be combined to meet the minimum. I would envision putting together an assortment pack of each size for those who joined in. Three of the sizes are hollow "sleeving" type products, but the 1.5mm size has a description of "Silica Cord (6 threads inside) 1.5mm" and this sounds VERY interesting as its not hollow like the rest.

EDIT: Maybe I should, but I dont intentionally try to inflate my post count, for example by replying to all three in different posts.

@JD1: Thanks, actually I already placed an order with McMaster Carr for several variants of silica and ceramic seals and sleeving. Hopefully it arrives today.

@StaircaseWit: Yes, if I cant find it locally, and there is not enough interest in coop, (or trust, I belong to some green coffee bean coops so I understand the importance of vetting) then I will place an order through one of the Euro sites. Thanks for the vid, it looks interesting. The thing appeals to me the most is that it allegedly has fewer broken fibers than other products, ie it doesnt shatter or splinter as easily. I use the silica stuff in a dripping atty and I occasionally get a dry hit, would hate to think I was inhaling little fibers.

Last edited:

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
@StaircaseWit: Yes, if I cant find it locally, and there is not enough interest in coop, (or trust, I belong to some green coffee bean coops so I understand the importance of vetting) then I will place an order through one of the Euro sites. Thanks for the vid, it looks interesting. The thing appeals to me the most is that it allegedly has fewer broken fibers than other products, ie it doesnt shatter or splinter as easily. I use the silica stuff in a dripping atty and I occasionally get a dry hit, would hate to think I was inhaling little fibers.

I think I'll probably just order it. The shipping is high but if I buy enough it'll be worth it. I just wish there were more reviews and opinions on it before I invest. I've become a fan of silica after trying out just about every wicking material except ceramic fish wicks. The German silica seems to be the best, but I just placed an order at COV and forgot to check if they have the Imeo silica in stock, and now they do. Should have added some of that to try it.

Section1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Metropolis, IL, Earth
I went ahead and ordered some ecowool yesterday from Cloud9 to try out. Kinda on the expensive side with shipping the US but I really wanted to get my hands on this asap. If I get the same results as others then I will be pleased. I plan on using it in my Terminator and Drunker to start with. If possible I would like to try to use it as a sleeve around a small mesh wick in my mini DID.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
I went ahead and ordered some ecowool yesterday from Cloud9 to try out. Kinda on the expensive side with shipping the US but I really wanted to get my hands on this asap. If I get the same results as others then I will be pleased. I plan on using it in my Terminator and Drunker to start with. If possible I would like to try to use it as a sleeve around a small mesh wick in my mini DID.

Keep us updated. I blew my vape budget on something else. :p

Jeremy Evans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2013
Columbus, Georgia, United States
Since it is hollow, I would think that maybe some cotton stuffed inside would be better than SS, since it inherently soaks up more fluid and the sleeve would insulate it from the heat from the coil. That would be the way I would try it.

@section1, how much did it end up to get it shipped to you?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
My intent is try various "sleeve" type wicking (including Ekowool) around a piece of 3/32 7x7 SS wire rope in my AGA T2 as being explored in another thread. The SS rope supposedly wicks extremely well, rather than going through the whole oxidizing thing some are just slipping a small piece of silica or ceramic sleeve just over the portion of the rope that the Kanthal coil covers, ie just about a 1/2" to cover the cable extending above the top deck of the AGA. The beauty is ZERO shorting problems. The sleeve serves as an insulator while the wire rope handles the bulk of the wicking. The SS wire rope has outperformed mesh in its capillary ability by a long shot. Many types of rope were tried and its seems that "7x7" construction performed the best.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Yes, it really caught my attention. Check out this thread on it. I got my rope here. I got some of all three sizes to play with various RBAs. I got it in yesterday, but I wont be able to play with it until Sunday, I am excited about it though. The whole "oxidation" thing is a royal PITA.......

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Yes, it really caught my attention. Check out this thread on it. I got my rope here. I got some of all three sizes to play with various RBAs. I got it in yesterday, but I wont be able to play with it until Sunday, I am excited about it though. The whole "oxidation" thing is a royal PITA.......

This stuff does work well,i do not use the wire rope i get the Ceramic rope from them here

McMaster-Carr .It works well on my terminator-c.I will have to pick up some of there wire rope to use for my gene atty's.Thanks i did not know they had wire rope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread