vaping bad for you???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife says that constant vaping is worse than cigarettes, she noticed that I was vaping a lot and keeping the smoke in my lungs for too long. She went online and read about vaping on a W.H.O. world health organization site that explains that vaping is possibly worse than smoking, and that they are looking into banning vaping!!!! So, can anyone help enlighten me and my wife?? (My wife still smokes by the Way!!)

BabyFeet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Hercules, CA
I feel your pain.

My girlfriend still smokes and gives me hell about vaping every chance she gets. (I think it's because I'm not in the same analog smoke
boat as she is.)

However, I now love the way things taste, my loud snoring has stopped, my breathing is clear, I feel better and have more energy,
I could go on and on but won't. Sometimes I think the tobacco lobbies have infiltrated every organization which tries to improve health by not smoking analogs.

Thank goodness for vaping. I got tired of being tired from smoking analogs. (Also, I'm back in the gym now.)

Hang in there. Vaping is not in the same ballpark or as bad as smoking analogs

mrfixit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Akron, Ohio
Seriously how possibly could vapping be worse? First of all when you burn tobacco and inhale its smoke you putting over 4000 different chemicals into your body most of which are carcinogenic e liquid contains no carcinogens. The who are dead wrong on this one sir there are no current studies that show this about vapping and many health professionals will say vapping is a healthier.alternative than smoking or burning tobacco. I can tell you from personal experience that my health has improved since I started vapping. Many others can also make the same statement. I'll pray for your wife that she sees the light soon cause she is poisoning herself with tobacco smoking that's a fact. Maybe she should read up on what tobacco does when you burn it and inhaie it. Don't go back to cigarettes keep on vapping

I agree with you all.. I feel a lot better even though its only 13 days today I've been vaping! Last week I asked my wife for 1 inhale of her light strengh cigarette to see if anything had changed in me...and boy, it was DISGUSTING!!! There's no way I'm going back to the cancer sticks! Maybe I am using my PV wrong by inhaling more often than I should?

rdix33

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
david1967:9038089 said:
My wife says that constant vaping is worse than cigarettes, she noticed that I was vaping a lot and keeping the smoke in my lungs for too long. She went online and read about vaping on a W.H.O. world health organization site that explains that vaping is possibly worse than smoking, and that they are looking into banning vaping!!!! So, can anyone help enlighten me and my wife?? (My wife still smokes by the Way!!)

All you have to do is read a few sentances on w.h.o. website and you'll realize how radical they are. No facts at all.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with you all.. I feel a lot better even though its only 13 days today I've been vaping! Last week I asked my wife for 1 inhale of her light strengh cigarette to see if anything had changed in me...and boy, it was DISGUSTING!!! There's no way I'm going back to the cancer sticks! Maybe I am using my PV wrong by inhaling more often than I should?

Pretty typical experience after quitting the cigarettes. Once you have released their hold on you, you are then free to discover just how terrible they really taste.

There is a different technique to vaping than how you possibly were smoking cigarettes. Slow, patient draws of 3 - 6 seconds in length, much like sucking on a straw in a milkshake. Hold temporarily in your mouth, then inhale if you wish. Then exhale through your mouth and nose.

Because the nicotine in vapor is mostly absorbed in the mouth, throat, and nose, there is no real need to inhale into the lungs unless you desire that experience. And because our sense of taste has been harmed from years of smoking, exhaling some vapor from your nose can actually assist your sense of smell to help you "taste" your e-liquid flavors.
______

The future of e-cigarettes is in danger the world over. It has been banned in places like Malaysia and Singapore, e-liquids with nicotine have been banned in Canada, and e-cigarettes in general banned in some counties in the US.

This is not because of proven harm caused by e-cigs, but because of corrupted government motives and special interest groups that stand to either benefit from such bannings or to lose big money from the competition to their own products currently on the market.

The US's Federal Drug Administration will be holding public hearings in April to discuss their plan on how to handle e-cigarettes in the US. This organization has already banned e-cigs a few years ago and it was temporarily overturned in court until the present time. The final outcome of these rulings likely will have a world-wide effect on what will happen to the e-cigarette market, as how the US goes the rest of the world tends to follow.

CASAA is the vapor's lone advocate in these hearings, and will be pitted against not only the FDA's slanted view on e-cigs, but the special interests of Big Tobacco and the Pharmaceutical Industry, also. I therefore urge all vapors to join CASAA, as every organization that represents a group becomes stronger with the number of members that it has.

Last edited:

StevesCVO

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Clown School
Bad's post is dead on. BT and BP are loosing millions of dollars a day because more and more people are discovering vaping. BT realizes we now have options to get off their deadly products and stay off. This wasn't the case just a very short time ago. When all we had were the cheap disposables or cigalikes they had nothing to worry about. You might have quit for a week or two then went back to smoking because it didn't satisfy your cravings. BP is scared because you don't need chantix, zyban or any of the other crap they have developed, all of which have lots of negative side effects. Just look at what phen-phen did to people and it was FDA approved. Now these two giant industries are lining the pockets of politicians to get ecigs banned.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Most likely more propaganda from WHO.

To my knowledge, all the e-liquid that I have consumed has been produced in the US. I honestly can't speak about the quality control of China e-juice factories.

My question would be: "Where's the proof of those claims? Who did the testing? What was the harm reported? Give me a link."

Blanket statements without scientific documentation like WHO makes means little to me except for the scare tactecs it feeds to the anti-vapor groups.

Last edited:

E Dub

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Midwest
Lately my vaping has increased. Its turning into a hobby. Where as before I only hit it when I felt like having a smoke. Anyway the other day after working out my smokers cough returned. Not bad, two coughs and I was cleared up. But it was weird. I haven't had that cough in a year and a half. Not sure if it was related to vaping or not. I noticed if I have a PV near me I vape almost mindlessly. Especially sitting on the couch. So I'm cutting back a bit. After all too much of anything can be bad....

Sikko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
WHO are a bunch of nutjobs really. The last thing I heard about their "recommendations" was that vaping looks like smoking so it's bad. Really? That's a pretty weak argument considering the health benefits that come with vaping. I guess they would much rather people smoke.

Here's a good article on what I'm talking about.

http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/10/world-health-organization-urges.html

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
The Canadian Govt just made a strong difference between smoke and vapor and it was probably very unintentional.

Flight of Cuba-bound Canadian plane aborted by white vapor - UPI.com

Everyone above dismissed it as vapor and not smoke while all passengers thought they would die. So if they can dismiss that as safe, then our vapor must certainly be safe.

ziggy929

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
FL USA
I would say one thing and I know its a repeat. "If you smoked analogs, you have NO WORRIES about vaping." Maybe she is upset because she can't quit the analogs like you did. Just try to encourage her to try it sometimes and maybe she will finally switch. Maybe if she gets a taste of some Good eliquid and a good MOD that has that throat hit, she may change her mind. I know my sister in law has been smoking cigs for over 35 years and she JUST tried my VAMO and said she could quit on it. I helped her order her first set up and she spent about 250.00 for everything up front, but she is excited to give this a go. But my sister on the other hand tried mine and just blew me off saying she doesn't like it and doesn't even want to give it a try. To each their own, but you keep doing what you are doing. Best of Luck to you!!!

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com

How does that work? Cigarette smoke has been found to contain thousands of chemicals, over 50 of which are known to cause cancer, while vaping has nicotine and flavoring. And the base liquids are used is thousands of consumer products. Many of which are in your house right now. Also, they're used in medications.

Ooo, here's something about the chemicals in cigs:

[url=http://www.tricountycessation.org/tobaccofacts/Cigarette-Ingredients.html]Cigarette Ingredients - Chemicals in Cigarettes[/URL]

What Chemicals Are In Tobacco Smoke? What Is Cigarette Smoke?

"Experts say that cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 different compounds. A significant number of them are toxic (poisonous) and can damage our cells. Many of them are carcinogenic..."

Some of my personal favorites:

Benzene - used in gasoline
Formaldehyde
Hydrogen Cyanide - some states use this chemical in their gas chambers for executions

(Yeah, cyanide, actual poison used in "gas chambers"... she's inhaling it)

Lead
Carbon Monoxide - this is a poisonous gas.
Methane (sewer gas)
Arsenic (well, poison)
Ammonia! (so... window cleaner?)
Butane (lighter fluid)

But get this:

Nicotine - this is not carcinogenic...

Huh. So the one thing vaping has in common with smoking is nicotine which is not carcinogenic. Interesting.

What about the base liquids? Well, PG (propylene glycol):

Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The acute oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low, and large quantities are required to cause perceptible health damage in humans..."

"It would be nearly impossible to reach toxic levels by consuming foods or supplements, which contain at most 1 g/kg of PG."

Wait, wait... food and supplements? They put it in our food? So we were getting PG already?

"Propylene glycol does not cause sensitization and it shows no evidence of being a carcinogen or of being genotoxic."

"Similarly, propylene glycol is an approved food additive for human food as well..."

I'll be damned. We eat the stuff already. Huh.

What about VG (vegetable glycerine)?

Glycerol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In foods and beverages, glycerol serves as a humectant, solvent, and sweetener, and may help preserve foods. It is also used as filler in commercially prepared low-fat foods (e.g., cookies), and as a thickening agent in liqueurs. Glycerol and water are used to preserve certain types of leaves.[6] As a sugar substitute, it has approximately 27 kilocalories per teaspoon (sugar has 20) and is 60% as sweet as sucrose. It does not feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. As a food additive, glycerol is labeled as E number E422. It is added to icing (frosting) to prevent it setting too hard.

As used in foods, glycerol is categorized by the American Dietetic Association as a carbohydrate. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) carbohydrate designation includes all caloric macronutrients excluding protein and fat. Glycerol has a caloric density similar to table sugar, but a lower glycemic index and different metabolic pathway within the body, so some dietary advocates accept glycerol as a sweetener compatible with low carbohydrate diets."

Um... so it's in food all over the place is it?

And there's:

"Glycerol is used in medical and pharmaceutical and personal care preparations, mainly as a means of improving smoothness, providing lubrication and as a humectant. It is found in allergen immunotherapies, cough syrups, elixirs and expectorants, toothpaste, mouthwashes, skin care products, shaving cream, hair care products, soaps and water-based personal lubricants. In solid dosage forms like tablets, glycerol is used as a tablet holding agent. For human consumption, glycerol is classified by the U.S. FDA among the sugar alcohols as a caloric macronutrient."

Huh. Almost as if it's safe for humans or something.

Exactly how is it "worse" than inhaling cyanide, methane, butane, ammonia... I mean, come on. Really?

I'd like to actually see these sites that claim this...

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
By the way, the WHO wants vaping banned because it "looks like smoking":

http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/10/world-health-organization-urges.html

"The World Health Organization is arguing that electronic cigarettes should be banned because their use "normalizes" smoking and that a ban on these products would result in the "de-normalization" of smoking."

Like the man says, "What a bunch of crap."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread