SmokTech RSST Genesis Rebuildable Atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

klondikes

Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
I can not seem to find much on this rba that I received yesterday. It is called a SmokTech RSST Genesis Rebuildable Atomizer where I purchased it at LiteCigUSA.net. It is my first rebuildable. It comes with no wick or coil.

I made a wick from 400 SS mesh (40 x 40 mm), unoxidized. I built a 4/3 coil from 32AWG kenthal using the Petar K method which came out to 2.2 ohms. I am not impressed with the flavor but understand that these have to get broke in before they start tasting good. Or, maybe I need to fiddle with coils more until I get it perfect.

Here are a couple of pics with this atomizer on my Vamo.

RSST_zps3d9f26c6.jpg
RSSTWickandCoil02_zps2c269872.jpg

klondikes

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I can not seem to find much on this rba that I received yesterday. It is called a SmokTech RSST Genesis Rebuildable Atomizer where I purchased it at LiteCigUSA.net. It is my first rebuildable. It comes with no wick or coil.

I made a wick from 400 SS mesh (40 x 40 mm), unoxidized. I built a 4/3 coil from 32AWG kenthal using the Petar K method which came out to 2.2 ohms. I am not impressed with the flavor but understand that these have to get broke in before they start tasting good. Or, maybe I need to fiddle with coils more until I get it perfect.

Here are a couple of pics with this atomizer on my Vamo.

RSST_zps3d9f26c6.jpg
RSSTWickandCoil02_zps2c269872.jpg

klondikes

i actually just recieved one the other day, set it up with ceramic and am actually impressed with the flavor. i would tend to think its the set-up, they do take a little time to break in, but if your not getting a good flavor now then it will not get that much better in time. usually at first you will get great flavor right off the bat, then after a tank you will get an awesome flavor. so it can be in the set-up that you did, maybe a slight hotspot ? or because you did an unoxidized wick (which i havent really done) it might just take a little more time to oxidize itself. so just give it some time, and then take it from there.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
make sure your not vaping with the fill plug in as this causes a vacuum to form and does not wick properly.
some people get lucky first shot while others need as few tries but slight adjustments in coil and wick can change the flavor as well as the wick breaking in. give it a tank or two and see usually the flavor will suddenly seem to pop to life for most people.

klondikes

Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
Thanks, guys. I just tried a couple of hits with the cap off and it is better already. Not as good as what I am used to with my carto tank or my Vivi Nova but I have read that once one of these RBS's get working right that the carto's and Novas tend to sit idle.

Without the cap, won't this thing leak? I figured the cap was to keep the liquid in the tank.

I just learned something new about this RSST - the center screw with the spring on it threads all the way through the atomizer. The screw tip, if screwed in far enough, will contact the battery connector on my Vamo. When this screw contacts the battery connection the atomizer will not screw onto the connector any further. Therefore, the depth of that center screw will determine the orientation of the atomizer on the battery. I did have this screw at a random depth and with the tank secure on my Vamo, when taking a hit and tilting the device, the wick was gravitationally on the top side of the tank. With low fluid in the tank the wick would be all the way out of the liquid. I just tightened the center screw down a bit and adjusted it so that when the atomizer it tight on the Vamo, the wick is on the opposite side of the tank in relation to the Vamo. Now when I tilt the device taking a hit the wick is on the bottom side of the tank and remains in the liquid. This adjustment may help too. The flavor is starting to come out much better already.

klondikes

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
That's a good way to orient the wick to whatever your personal preference is, as far as locating the power button on your device is. I don't have an RSST, but it is a AC9 clone, which has the same type of center post arrangement. The way I install it is, I back the center pin out a bit, and screw the unit down onto my device. I then snug down the center pin, until it's tight against the center post of my mod. This minimizes the gap between the RSST and the top of the mod.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
This is your first time? wow! It looks pretty good and you seem way ahead of the curve so far. Yes, it will leak (more) with the fill screw out if it's not upright. That's the way it is with these kinds of rbas. Not optimal but it is what it is. And I guess you know that the air hole has to be lined up with the wick and when you vape, the wick has to be in line with your chin (lol) to keep the wick in the juice.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
That's a good way to orient the wick to whatever your personal preference is, as far as locating the power button on your device is. I don't have an RSST, but it is a AC9 clone, which has the same type of center post arrangement. The way I install it is, I back the center pin out a bit, and screw the unit down onto my device. I then snug down the center pin, until it's tight against the center post of my mod. This minimizes the gap between the RSST and the top of the mod.

Hmmm... I didn't realize you could orient the wick on these. I never paid attention to the center post other than trying to get the tension right when I attached the coil.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
always keep the wick towards you as you vape, this over rides the button placement orientation, if you can get both, thats a plus for sure. i have found that with this device and the fill plug removed, it does tend to slightly leak, but not to a point where its an issue. usually the wick is towards you when you vape, but if you hold it slightly to one side, this will make the fill hole less apt to overflow. i have been holding it to where the wick is at 7 oclock rather then 6 oclock, this will put the fill hole higher, and away from the juice a little more.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Hmmm... I didn't realize you could orient the wick on these. I never paid attention to the center post other than trying to get the tension right when I attached the coil.

Yes, the AC9, and apparently the RSST (although I don't have one) are fairly unique in that regard. Most other RBAs have a center pin that goes in through the 510 end of the device. These devices use a long screw that comes through from the top. The insulator at the 510 end is threaded, for adjusting the amount the center sticks out. And because of the spring set up at the top, instead of the two lock nuts, the center pin can be adjusted even with the coil installed.

klondikes

Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
Wow, lots of great advice, new things learned, and some confirmation of a few of my thoughts. As for the fit of the coils to the wick, I have attached a close up of the wick and coil. I believe that what looks like gaps is actually reflection off of the liquid caught at the edge of the coil where it contacts the wick. But it does almost look like a gap on the second coil down on the right side in the picture. When I do the next wick I will add an additional 5 mm of SS to make the wick slightly larger in diameter. This current wick has to be twisted to pass through the coil but it is not as tight as I think it should be. This wick was my second try. The first one was positively loose using a 30 mm wide SS mesh. With this second wick I went to 40 mm width. In both cases I used a 1 mm SS wire to wrap the wick around. On my next wick I will go with a 45 mm wide piece of SS mesh.

RSSTWickandCoilCloseUp_zps3b8526aa.jpg

With the fill cap removed and the wick oriented properly this set-up is working much better. I have not yet gone through the first tank of liquid so I will give it some more time. It is already approaching the taste I have become used to with my other liquid delivery systems except it seems like a more consistent and smooth draw.

klondikes

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
instead of trying to make the wick material fatter try not rolling it as tight so it stays wider, until it fits the coil perfectly. its easier to keep tightening the roll then it is to unloosen the rolled wick

Yep. Two things I hate. Having a nice wick rolling, and overshooting, so that it's too small. The other is cutting the mesh too big, and having to unroll it to cut it, because I couldn't roll it tight enough to fit. I've done both.

klondikes

Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
awesome info here guys (and galls)...I have one of these in the mail heading to me now...Question tho...does the wick hole have a built in insulator? looks as if there is a gasket ring around the wick hole...if so then a un oxidized wick should be fine then right?

The wick hole is insulated. The wick in my atomizer is unoxidized. In addition, the plastic tank is one piece going down the sides, across the bottom, and then up the center post. The wick can touch the bottom of the tank with no adverse electrical effects.

klondikes

45root

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
montgomery, AL
make sure your not vaping with the fill plug in as this causes a vacuum to form and does not wick properly.
some people get lucky first shot while others need as few tries but slight adjustments in coil and wick can change the flavor as well as the wick breaking in. give it a tank or two and see usually the flavor will suddenly seem to pop to life for most people.
I vape everything with the fill plug in. The only thing I cant seem to get wicking correctly with the plug in is my did clone. This thing is really simple. its a great vape and my flavor was full on right from the get go with an unoxidized wick. Thats usually not the case.
The wick hole is insulated. The wick in my atomizer is unoxidized. In addition, the plastic tank is one piece going down the sides, across the bottom, and then up the center post. The wick can touch the bottom of the tank with no adverse electrical effects.

klondikes

none of that matters if you have properly oxidized your wick either by torch or pulsing. if its oxidized there is no current going through the wick so it can touch anything. I have some more thoughts but my kid is hungry. will post a pic when I feed her

klondikes

Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
45root - I take it that by saying I should try wrapping by hand that you mean to not use the Petar K method and not wrap around a drill bit but to wrap directly around the wick?

vapdivrr - no, I did not fold over a flap. In the several instructions and videos that I reviewed there was no mention of this flap. Where does the flap go? At the end of the wrap to keep the edge of the SS mesh inside the wrap to avoid freys?

As for the fill hole plug, I drilled a small hole through it but it did not help. I put the plug back in and by the 3rd hit I had that bad taste back. Took the plug back out and after a few hits the good taste is back. I have not yet had any leaking from the fill hole with the fill hole plug removed so I will just keep using it that way. I will see how it works. When I am at work I keep my atomizer removed from my Vamo and just keep both in my pants pocket. I will see if it leaks tomorrow.

I have tightened the winds on my wick. I think they look better as can be seen in the attached picture.

RSSTWickandCoilCloseUp2_zpsafef4a78.jpg

And, I have a question. When I take the cap off of the atomizer there is some residue type liquid on the surfaces. Sometimes it has been enough to drip slightly and I wipe it off with a paper towel. Is this residue normal?

Thanks for all of the comments, suggestions, and help. I appreciate it very much.

klondikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread