Status
Not open for further replies.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
I never had the desire or need to delve into the world of atomizer head rebuilding until I got my two Protanks. I was so enamored with these glass and metal beauties that my wife began to get a bit jealous. Seeing as how the replacement heads, and anything Protank for that matter, are quite hard to come by at the moment, I started to wonder what would happen when my heads failed. Would I be relegated to the bleek, dismal world of Vivi Nova and vape Only BCC use? Oh, the humanity.

I decided that now was the time to learn to rebuild. Like my forefathers, I rolled up my shirt sleeves, cracked a beer and got to work. 'Merica.

This is my first rebuild. As the photos below will indicate, I'm really, really good at it.

Here's how I did it...

This is the atomizer head that was used for a bit over a week. It's dark and grimy and produces some ungodly flavors.
photo (1).jpg

Here's the tools I used...man s#!t!
photo (2).jpg

I used 3mm silica wick and 32 gauge Kanthal wire. A sewing needle is used to make wrapping the wick a but easier and avoid wrapping too tightly. Six wraps.
photo (3).jpg

Here's the wrapped wick in the wick holder thingy after the remaining wire ends have been threaded through the wick holder thingy.
photo (4).jpg

I screwed the base onto the wick holder thingy and screwed that onto my ProVari. It's showtime. Let's see how those coils look all glowy and orange.
photo (5).jpg

I half expected red-hot wire shards to shoot into my eyeballs and boiling hot battery acid magma to flow out of the battery cap of the ProVari. Alas, the coils glow evenly and beautifully. Suck it, Bin Laden.

ECF will only allow 5 amazing photos per post, so the rest of this epic journey is detailed below...

Last edited:

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
I separated the 3mm wick into thirds and used two of the thirds as flavor wicks. Here's the atomizer head after the rest of the thingies have been reattached. Sexy, aint she?
photo (6).jpg

Let's saddle up and see what kind of Ohms she's giving...
photo (7).jpg

Two Ohms. Booya.

Rebuilding was way easier and funner than I thought it'd be. Plus, I get to use pliers and wire cutters so my wife thinks I'm tough and masculine.

After reattaching the tank and filling with liquid, the rebuilt Protank is as good as new. Maybe a touch better. It's giving plenty of flavor and throat hit. The vapor production seems a bit better. I blew a massive cloud toward my cat and he scurried away like the little pansy he is.

SAG

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
STL
Face Meat, Awesome! Even though it looks easy, I won't do it with my 2 pro tanks UNLESS I can't find replacement heads for them! I feel like I've got so much time in fiddling with cleaning and charging and researching, I'll just buy the heads. If you're not a writer, you should at least consider it because I'ld follow it even if you wrote about carpentry
:)

nomorebutts4me

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Punta Gorda, Florida
Thank you for a great thread! Since I make coiled wire jewelry, this on is a no-brainer for me! I am so going to amazon to try and find these supplies!

edit: I found most of the answers I had myself and a supplier with the right stuff..the only thing that I think needed clarifying is that the needle is just used to stiffen the wick so it is easier to wrap, is this correct? It could sound like you wrap the needle, slide it out and then somehow stuff the wick in, which after looking at the pictures becomes obvious but some, (including me at first), were stymied by it, so the needle size is not important as long as it does not add too much diameter to the wrap but enough to keep you from wrapping too tightly and crookedly.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
The needle is used only to create a rigid platform upon which to wrap the silica wick with the Kanthal wire. Both are wrapped together and the needle is slid out after the coils are wrapped.

On my next rebuild, I'll probably use a smaller diameter needle to reduce any space between the coil and wick after wrapping.

If you make coiled wire jewelry, rebuilding will be child's play.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Nice job. I got a few tips for you that might make it better. Instead of the unwrapped "flavor wick" double your wick before wrapping. It should vape better and you won't need the pin to stiffen for wrapping. Also if you torch your wick and wire before you do the wrapping you won't have that Off taste you get with a new coil. I haven't done these on a Protank yet but I've built tons of coils for other setups. One other thing about wrapping the doubled wicks, the diameter of the coils will be larger so if you do the same number of wraps you'll have higher resistance. It's not really a good or bad thing, just a fact. But it will give you the option of higher resistance, less wraps, thicker wire.....whatever you choose.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Good thread, good pictures, and good information. I was impressed when Pbusardo showed the bottom coil design with the short wicks in his YouTube presentation of the Protank. It looks like a winner for alleviating dry hit problems. He also vapes Boba's Bounty in his and removed the top wick (of 3) to get the juice closer to the coil.

BTW, thingy is short for Thingamabob, which is the correct technical term for parts with no readily available nomenclature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread