Looking for braided wick, not twisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Only two places I've found are Canadian Sites and they have a wonky payment system if you live in the States. Also, I have experienced a maybe/maybe not delivery system with Canada Post that has left me leery of purchasing from Canada. Too bad. For anyone interested they are Jugheads and Canadavape.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Doesn't look like it: Wick and Wire : Silica Wick

Although it is German. I wonder if it's similar to the (excellent) stuff sold by vaporbase-de on ebay? That stuff is twisted, but not like normal silica wick -- it's more of a 'double twist' if that makes sense.

I've been refering to the RTD silica as braided, but looking closer double twist is probably right. Like a lot of small strands twisted and then those twisted as a group. Does that sound like the vaporbase silica? I can show a pic if that will help. Either way, the RTD stuff has been working way better for me the last couple weeks than normal twisted.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There is a difference between braided and double twist. On eBay the only braided wick I see is from China and 10 meters at $30 plus shipping is a bit much for wick. There is braided cotton but I'm not sure about the safety. I've used it in my A7 and you have to keep it wet or it will burn. I much prefer silica.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
I've been refering to the RTD silica as braided, but looking closer double twist is probably right. Like a lot of small strands twisted and then those twisted as a group. Does that sound like the vaporbase silica? I can show a pic if that will help. Either way, the RTD stuff has been working way better for me the last couple weeks than normal twisted.

Yep, that's exactly what it's like, although the picture at RTD is hard to make out. The vaporbase stuff is also a lot more resilient than typical twisted silica -- it doesn't 'crunch' and break as easily, for instance from folding it over to make rda wicks.

I went ahead and ordered the RTD stuff since I've heard good things about it elsewhere, and it says it's made in Germany. If it's like the vaporbase stuff I'll be more than happy. :)

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Yep, that's exactly what it's like, although the picture at RTD is hard to make out. The vaporbase stuff is also a lot more resilient than typical twisted silica -- it doesn't 'crunch' and break as easily, for instance from folding it over to make RDA wicks.

I went ahead and ordered the RTD stuff since I've heard good things about it elsewhere, and it says it's made in Germany. If it's like the vaporbase stuff I'll be more than happy. :)

That's what I love about this, it's so much more durable than the regular twisted I had before. I was vaping dirty NETs, dry burning and washing a lot for several days, torched it and it was almost as good as new. Night and day difference in the durability. I think it may be a lot better with flavor too.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
That's what I love about this, it's so much more durable than the regular twisted I had before. I was vaping dirty NETs, dry burning and washing a lot for several days, torched it and it was almost as good as new. Night and day difference in the durability. I think it may be a lot better with flavor too.

Agreed, it's the best stuff I've used, if the RTD is the same stuff as vaporbase-de sells. It's the reason I pretty much gave up on SS mesh -- I wick both my AGA-T2 and RSST with a doubled over piece with the single end in the tank. Wicks fantastic right down to the bottom of the tank and can be re-wicked in about three minutes. I've even torched it in-place in the AGA with a micro torch, brushed it off and continued vaping.

Take a look at the braided wick at Jugheads. Why can't some vendor in the U.S. carry this stuff?

They also have cotton and hemp wicking. I've ordered hemp off ebay, but why aren't the US vendors carrying stuff like this? More demand in Canada?

But if the RTD stuff is the same German silica as vaporbase-de sells on ebay, braided isn't really necessary. It's great stuff and can be split into strands for different wicking scenarios.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
I use the twisted and I'm tired of the ends expanding and getting in the way when I'm trying to wind a coil. Wetting it doesn't help. Think I'm going to try rolling some ss around the wick and see how that works.

It works well, and isolates the silica from the coil so that it can be rinsed and re-used in most cases.

I've never really had an issue with the stuff I have unwinding when wrapping a coil though.

chadsmo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
BC Canada
Take a look at the braided wick at Jugheads. Why can't some vendor in the U.S. carry this stuff?

Why can't vendors in Canada carry the dozens if not hundreds of things I see on US sites …

Seriously though its super frustrating sometimes wanted even something as simple as a nice drip tip and needing to pay 20$ in shipping to get it sent from the US.

Anyways , if a few people really want some of the silica from Jugheads I could probably grab some in a few weeks or so when I do a juice order. I can just toss in it a normal envelope and mail it to the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread