Central Iowa Electronic Cigarettes- Fake Vivi Nova's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizmitchel

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
des moines IA
Just thought I would post this for others to see. Awhile back ago I bought some Vision Vivi Nova's from Central Iowa Ecigs. One of the owners ,Susie, told me that she only had authentic gear in store because she wanted everyone to know that she sells the real things. So honestly with that kind of mentallity I thought I was getting the real thing. I spent 33 dollars on two (or close to,fairly steep for even an authentic, but beats waiting on delivery).

The other day I ordered some Vivi metal tubes (from a different vendor since I had other things I wanted as well), and noticed they didn't fit right when they came in yesterday so posted a thread here on ECF asking for advice. I was informed that I had knock offs and to stick with approved vendors. Here is the thread for anyone interested in reading a more through look at the problems I was having http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...pears-not-seal-bottom-leaks-out-drip-tip.html

I just wanted to surface this, I don't feel it's right that a vendor "emphasizes" authenticity and sells you a knock off in the same breath (even the boxes say Vision). I personally am going to restrain from purchasing any products from them in the future.

I'll admit that it being a knock off isn't what bugs me. It's the fact that I paid over average retail price of the authentic Vision Vivi for a 4 dollar knock off and told it was authentic. So just wanted to vent and possibly help prevent someone else from having the same issues with not only this distributor but distributors in general.

Thanks for hearing me out, and hope this at least helps someone.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
That's pretty sad. I see that they only have a retail location, no web store. Unless they were misled and not too sharp, they are taking advantage of walkins who don't know better. I'm guessing they don't have much local competition, so they can get away with not being accountable.

If you have brought this up to them, did they have a response?

molli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
That's pretty sad. I see that they only have a retail location, no web store. Unless they were misled and not too sharp, they are taking advantage of walkins who don't know better. I'm guessing they don't have much local competition, so they can get away with not being accountable.

The ONLY other B&M store in Iowa is Revolver in Sioux City..half way across the state, at least as far as I can find.

lissa5168

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
East TN
Just musing this morning. Are you 100% positive that your Vision Viva Novas are knock-offs? Are you positive, since the b ox and probably the device said Vision, that the seller knew that they were knock-offs? Is it possible that the tubes are knock-offs?

If you look at his thread that he posted the link to, it's very obvious that he didn't receive genuine Vivi Novas. The pictures alone tell the story.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If you look at his thread that he posted the link to, it's very obvious that he didn't receive genuine Vivi Novas. The pictures alone tell the story.

I did spend some time on that thread before posting here. What seems very obvious to some may not be as obvious to others thus the musings.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
You should be made aware - The STV tanks are hit and miss. Some are not true round some are not level cut. Real Vision owners have complained of problems switching to the STV tanks.
I updated one for looks. Got lucky and it works fine.
I had purchased 2 Vision vivi tanks and one of these has sweat leaked from day 1. The other, now with STV never gives a problem.

You could well have Genuine Vision - Best to know than assume

bizmitchel

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
des moines IA
Sorry for no updates but here's the run down. I contacted CIEC (central Iowa Electronic Cigarette) Via their facebook wall. On their I left my findings. In doing so I used a link from another vendors site and a link to alibaba that had the same looking vivi's as the ones I purchased. I wanted to make the vendor notified of the products lack of authenticity. They removed my facebook posting. I recommended a few products on their facebook page (because one of the owners asked me too) and went on about my way. By Monday (yesterday) I checked my facebook and received a message from one of their other owners. At first it was extremely rickety. I got singled out for using their wall to "post other vendors sites" and it was commented about how I made one of the owners "cry" for exposing their counterfeit in front of hundreds of people and several sarcastic (and some blatantly rude) statements and comments were made. To sum up the whole conversation it sounds like their "looking into" it but couldn't get any definite answers if they where going to continue to sell these under false pre tenses. He did vaguely say he was going to continue buying products how he currently does (co ops) until after he finds out what the FDA is doing before he starts purchasing from the manufacturers. So honestly I think this could be a problem with them for still some time. He also stated somewhere along the lines that if he were to sell the authentic s they would run close to 19 because they would cost them 13 and the ones they purchased ran them around 7.50 a piece to order so they have to charge close to 16 (but they claim they didn't know they were knock offs??????). When he told me they didn't know, honestly my response was that it shouldn't be the job of the customers in order to spot knock offs and nothing should be sold as "authentic" unless otherwise proven, not the other way around.

honestly for now on, I'll order most all my purchases from ECF certified vendors, I just wanted to help support local vapors; but that seems kind of out of the line up of options from my stand point.

Last edited:

bizmitchel

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
des moines IA

No local competition around here

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Well, I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment of the honesty of Central Iowa ECigs. I've been to their store several times, and I've been very impressed with the quality of their products as well as the time they spend with their customers, particularly those new to vaping.

I'm guessing that IF you were provided with something that wasn't "genuine," it was an honest mistake on their part. And while you should absolutely make your complaint and ask for a refund, I question why you'd go about doing it in such a public fashion on their Facebook page. Seems like the kind of thing that is better handled either in person (this is a local shop, after all) or via email/phone/private messaging.

In any event, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. My experiences have been quite positive, and I feel entirely comfortable recommending newcomers in the Des Moines area to their shop.

Netlah

Apr 25, 2013
I agree I think CIEC is a amazing place. The few vaping shops around town are not very good and offer very limited knock off quality stuff. CIEC I know for a absolute fact buys from high quality vendors. I mean it's the only place in town to find good rare quality juices I mean they got Pluid for goodness sakes! We should be lucky to have a local shop that not only carries all this stuff but have a 150+ flavor testing station. I think they go above and beyond with there customer service.

bizmitchel

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
des moines IA
my issue with the company lies soley on the honesty basis. I'll admit great setup for an B&M however anytime I inquired about the continuation of selling the product as a genuine product, they wouldn't give a direct answer. I don't know about you, but a company that even after they know a product is a knock off that still won't notify the consumers that they are indeed knock offs don't deserve my business. Honestly they offered me a full re-imburstment and to purchase me a genuine Vivi from any vendor but by the time I was offered I was sick of arguing (literally 2 days later)and the one thing I wanted they couldn't give me. Their word they would notify the consumers. This wasn't the first thing I've purchased from there that turned out to be a knock off. When I purchased my Z- MAX they sold me one authentic A&W battery and one knock-off. My phone was out of minutes, I had my children with me (and I don't believe in taking them to vape shops) and their contact area on their website didn't work!!!! Facebook that day was my only means for communication and I don't use facebook often so i posted my question with a comparison of a genuine on their wall (which just so happened to be another vendor that was selling the geniune for cheaper then their knock off.

All in all though I do like the store; but won't do business with them anymore. If I can't ask an honest question and get an honest answer I'm not gonna pay you four times over the value for a product to be lied to about it. Thats just my opinion. And honestly I would still recommend them to novices; however, I would tell them buyer beware

Last edited:

chrisbru

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It sounds like this wasn't handled in the best way by you OR the store. Personally, I think you should have talked to them directly rather than posting on their FB wall. They would have likely responded better.

In any case, I'm sorry you feel ripped off. I'm sure it was not intentional, as I have had nothing but positive experiences from this shop and trust them to be honest.

Actually, after reading your post, it appears you left off some vital information that they offered to remedy the situation:

They offered a full reimbursement of both and to order one from any vendor of my choice. Honestly I turned it down because all the work I had to do to even get "an offer of replacement" (they had to make a big deal over me inquiring about the valididity of their product on their facebook wall when it appears to be their only forum on online contact) and the fact they wouldn't answer if these where going to continue being sold under false pre-tense. At first I wanted replacements, but by the end free was the last thing on my mind; I just wanted people to be well notified of the situation and for them to be honest with customers, but when I asked questions about notifying the customers they seemed to kind of talk around the topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread