What does "punching" a cartomizer mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got some 510 XXL BOGE Cartomizers in the mail at long last..

These things kinda deceived me. I popped it open and its a wee cotton-looking tube on the inside with a black hook in it.

Directions said to just put e-liquid straight on to it. I loaded up my syringe with my favorite "Dragon's Fire" e-lquid and filled her up til she was saturated.

Let it sit for about 3-4 minutes and then put it on my EGO-T battery.

Pressed the button. Very little smoke. Gross carbon burn-off taste. So I started reading around on the forums and it seems like people do something called 'punching'.

Now these BOGE cartomizers haven't groped my lady nor have they insulted my grandma so I'm not gonna ball up my fist and punch the li'l guys ;).. so the only thing I can guess is that it means to actually punch a hole in one.

Can someone give me some guidance?

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
Directions said to just put e-liquid straight on to it. I loaded up my syringe with my favorite "Dragon's Fire" e-lquid and filled her up til she was saturated.

Let it sit for about 3-4 minutes and then put it on my EGO-T battery.

Pressed the button. Very little smoke. Gross carbon burn-off taste. So I started reading around on the forums and it seems like people do something called 'punching'.

N

Can someone give me some guidance?

After filling which it sounds like You did correctly, You may want to wait a little longer just to let it all soak in a little better

Hiding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Whenever I fill a new carto I always use the thermometer shake method or the "tarin spin" (not sure of spelling). The thermometer shake is like shaking an old thermometer before you use it. Great workout for your arms, if you fill enough of em. And when done right a carto does give a wonderfull vape. IMHO.

Zac Hi

I posted a reply earlier to another thread:

Here are a couple of vids from PBusardo

This first one he explains some of the pitfalls with cartos and tanks - fast forward past the hole punching stuff - but look at the second half.
A PBusardo Review & Tutorial - QT-1 (not really a) carto punch and Working with carto tanks - YouTube

This next one is a review of a couple of new locking ring type tanks - that stop the tanks slipping up, and the AGR with a top fill - both tanks inexpensive.
A PBusardo Review - The UDCT & AGR Locking Carto Tanks And PIPE CONTEST WINNER - YouTube

I got both these tanks and with the advise from the first vid I'm having LESS trouble with my cartos.

Hope this helps

DWontheGO

Unregistered Supplier
Mar 29, 2013
Pendergrass, GA
www.VapeWares.com
was going to say the exact same thing, got some dual coil 1.6ohm mega cartomizers for my ego t and i hated them. i have to use around 2.2 to 2.4 on it for it to taste decent to me.

Can you tell me a little more about what you experienced between ohm's? I went straight to lower ohm's thinking, more heat, more hit, more more more..... As I get a little more educated, I'm wondering about that decision. What exactly did you "hate" about lower ohm's and did they really effect flavor????? and dual coil vs single coil....

As I vape more and get further from the real cigs (analogs), FLAVOR IS SO IMPORTANT!!

I'm using ego900 battery, V3 w/1.8ohm coil, VVV Premium 3ml tank w/Boge 510 carto (self-punched), Ego Tank System w/ dual coil carto (I think Smoketech) 1.5ohm and Ego Mega Dual Coil Carto....I think that's it, trying to find my way-trying Everything!:oops:

Thanks-deb

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'll give you my experience, your results may vary, however, as with most things in vaping everyone has their own preferences.

I found dual coil cartomizers to often give a burnt taste or flavor. I theorize that regardless of how well you pre-fill a cartomizer in a cartotank, the act of vaping pulls the juice from the upper portions of the filler down to the lower part where the heating coil is generally located. Once you have been vaping a couple of minutes, if you look at the filler in the top of the cartomizer, it will look dry like you hadn't even filled it - this is normal and is the way a carto works. There is still liquid in the lower part of the carto.

In a dual coil cart, the second heating coil will be located in the middle portion of the cartomizer. It's very possible that after some time vaping, that upper coil may not have much e-liquid around it and cause the filler to burn. Once filler is burnt, you'll never get that taste out of it and you can consider it trashed.

I've made a cutaway diagram of a cartomizer to demonstrate this flow of liquid in a cartomizer below (click the image to enlarge it):

Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg

Since I've switched to single coil cartomizers I've not had any burnt taste in my cartotanks.
_______

Some vapors prefer a warmer vape, some prefer a cooler vape. I happen to prefer a cooler vape with plenty of flavor. Too warm of a vape can cause some flavors to become burnt tasting, muted, or non-existant. Using the proper ohm cartomizer can help you find your "sweet spot" by changing the voltage or wattage you use with each flavor of e-liquid.

For instance, I use a 2.5 - 3.0 ohm single coil cartomizer in my cartotanks. This gives me the full range of voltage to use from 3.4 to 5.0 volts. For fruit flavors I like a voltage around 3.5 volts. For my coffee flavors I like 4.4 volts. For cinnamon I like 4.8 volts.

Guide to Safe Vaping - E-Cigarette Safety | Ecig Advanced Community Blog

Last edited:

randomname79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
bolton ontario
Exactly what batitude said lol. I will add that the heat and harshness made it so I couldn't even inhale them. I smoked super super light analogs though. I couldn't smoke regular strength analogs either. Even with the carto's full to the point of leakage I couldnt stand them. Being new at first I thought it was the ego batt as I got everything together but when i put one of my 808 cartomizers on it after I picked up an adapter the ego's were a pure joy. I just picked up my shiny new vamo and some vivi nova's today so we'll see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread