E-cig hurting my throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have been on my 510 for about a week now and honestly, I am not crazy about the way I have been feeling. I have been coughing up lots of phelm and my wind pipe feels a little coated but raw.
I don't chain vape or anything, I visit my vape about every hour or two.

I would imagine that if you were switching from analogs that you would think that the phlem ect is part of your lungs sloughin off true smoke, but the thing is I went from Nic gum to these to get away from chewing my cud like a cow all day, and to enjoy the experience of smoking with out the yuck factor.

I have been using nic gum for almost 3 years now..

anyone having issues with the vape making them feel like they are 'coming down with something' ?

I am vaping on kiwi 18 mg juice.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
First off when you quit the anologs you may go through the cough and flem thing, 2nd you may have a reaction to your juice or if it's PG base you may have a reatcion to the PG like many do and have to switch up to a mix of VG-PG or switch all together to just VG. Also it may be the way your vaping, if your a started and vaping to dry meaning not enough juice or wet enough you could be getting those dry hits as some people get when there smoking more of there filler or Atty then the E-Liquid. Just my thoughts here but maybe try also getting an 801-901 Atty instead of the 510 your using. Last off I dont think switching back to gum or anologs is better then vaping, Vaping can be really great once you fine tune your personal choice and find out what that is, just experiment a bit more with equiptment and Juice and see what happens, I would personaly bet you will be back writing how dam good your xxxxxx is and you can't put it down..!!! hahahaha

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Vapor is different than smoke and people react to this new 'stuff' differently. It is not unusual to start vaping and expereince sore throat, dry mouth and coughing until you get accustomed to the vapor.

Before sounding the PG-allergy alarm, you could try a few things. First, try using a lower nicotine e-liquid. Higher nicotine levels can create bigger/harsher throat hit; something you may not need or want. Second, try diluting some of the e-liquids you have with glycerine (available at pharmacies, Walmart, etc.) beginning with a 90% e-liquid/10% glycerine. This will dilute the nicotine content and provide a slightly sweeter liquid. Third, try taking shorter draws on the 510. Some vapers like the 510 because of the throat hit it can provide. I understand the 510 gives a harder/harsher hit that an atomizer like an 801 or 901. Finally, keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water when vaping. PG tends to dry out your mucous membranes.

I will change to the veggie glycerine. and maybe try nic free or low nic.

Like I said earlier.. I have switched from NIC GUM ... I haven't smoked analogs in 3 years.
Thats why I know its the vape and not something else.

another question.. I have some prefilled carts. How long does a cart last? a day? a few vape sessions? how ofter do you need to refill your cart with e juice? every few drags?
how many drops do I put in my cart to refill?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I will change to the veggie glycerine. and maybe try nic free or low nic.

Like I said earlier.. I have switched from NIC GUM ... I haven't smoked analogs in 3 years.
Thats why I know its the vape and not something else.

another question.. I have some prefilled carts. How long does a cart last? a day? a few vape sessions? how ofter do you need to refill your cart with e juice? every few drags?
how many drops do I put in my cart to refill?

Generally prefilled carts do not last as long as it would take to completely drain them of juice. They are useful for testing nic levels and flavors, but with a 510 you are better off with bottled juice to add to your own carts. You may get 10 drags from a prefilled, depending on the liquid.

I also think that your issues are with PG. Certainly happened with me, plus a lot of other gastric issues I won't go into. I make my own juices now from high-nic unflavored juice, VG, flavor (about 10% or less) and 100-proof vodka (10%) to thin the juice so it will wick better and not clog the atty, as VG can do. Reactions to PG can really turn some people off to vaping. It can also make it feel like you've just chain smoked a pack of Luck Strikes...achy lungs and head. Try just VG (I get mine from Whole Foods), and see if it helps.

Also, some flavors can irritate my throat and lungs, making me cough a lot. The 510 is truly a journey of learning, but well worth making it work right for you.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread