Status
Not open for further replies.

bfrie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Circle Pines, Minnesota
i just got into clearos myself, but i have a pretty good idea about the tradeoffs

top coil- obviously coil is on top. there will be long wicks dropping down into the juice.

bottom coil- coil is on the bottom. with very short wicks that you can barely see

since clearos work by absorbing juice through the wick into the coil, the position of the wicks/length of wicks can drastically change the performance

top coil
pros- easy to fill, clean, great hits at the start of the tank
cons- very dry hits after you go through a little bit of the tank. you must swirl it and turn it to keep the wicks saturated. these tend to be juice hogs, can mute flavors

bottom coil
pros- generally consistent hits throughout, less muted flavors, no problem with dry hits since the entire wick is in the juice the whole time
cons- they tend to flood if your not careful, they seem to get dirty faster, sometimes are a little trickier to fill

izaidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2013
Toronto, Canada
i just got into clearos myself, but i have a pretty good idea about the tradeoffs

top coil- obviously coil is on top. there will be long wicks dropping down into the juice.

bottom coil- coil is on the bottom. with very short wicks that you can barely see

since clearos work by absorbing juice through the wick into the coil, the position of the wicks/length of wicks can drastically change the performance

top coil
pros- easy to fill, clean, great hits at the start of the tank
cons- very dry hits after you go through a little bit of the tank. you must swirl it and turn it to keep the wicks saturated. these tend to be juice hogs, can mute flavors

bottom coil
pros- generally consistent hits throughout, less muted flavors, no problem with dry hits since the entire wick is in the juice the whole time
cons- they tend to flood if your not careful, they seem to get dirty faster, sometimes are a little trickier to fill

thank you very much!

bfrie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Circle Pines, Minnesota
its bottom coil for me! Did not like the top coil for reasons stated by bfrie above, stopped using them a year ago and went back to the tanks. My GF bought some bottom coils and I thought "Ya,OK". But now I'm a convert, love them. Lasting throat hit,great flavor and no leaks!

ken mol
now hold on, i have myself gotten leaking from all of my bottom coils, and there are hundreds of complaints about leaking on here. granted, it is usually caused by accidental flooding/improper filling, but the op needs to put that into account to make his decision

note: i only use bottom coils now, so i am not bashing them because i dont like them

bfrie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Circle Pines, Minnesota
Thanks for the posts guys! I just read that bottom coils have cool vapor, or at least the vapor is not as hot, so less throat hit? what was your experience with that?

is flooding and leaking the same thing? or is flooding so bad that you have to replace parts?

cooler vapor does not neccesarily mean less throat hit, you can easily tweak your juice to fit your needs. personally throat hit is the lowest thing on my list anyway. i find hot vapor feels weird going in and leaves my throat feeling slimy? probably a better description for that. but, i have also never noticed a difference betweeen heat of vapor between top coil and bottom coil unless i turn the voltage up. if your worried about throat hit, i would strongly consider the fact that top coil can mute flavors, also muting the th.

flooding is when too much juice goes into the heating element, causing a poor hit, gurgling noise, bad taste. leaking is when juice is dripping out of the device somewhere. flooding can cause it to leak out of the center hole or the mouthpiece, and can cause juice to splatter in your mouth. just remember that not every bottom coil will leak/flood, and almost none will if you use them correctly and buy the better ones out there

Broodwich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Charleston, SC
Thanks for the posts guys! I just read that bottom coils have cool vapor, or at least the vapor is not as hot, so less throat hit? what was your experience with that?

is flooding and leaking the same thing? or is flooding so bad that you have to replace parts?

The resistance of the coil is what will effect the warm/cool vape. For instance if I have a 2.5ohm head I vape it around 4 - 4.2 volts; a 1.8ohm head I would vape around 3ish volts.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The resistance of the coil is what will effect the warm/cool vape. For instance if I have a 2.5ohm head I vape it around 4 - 4.2 volts; a 1.8ohm head I would vape around 3ish volts.

This is important. There are some vendors who send out T3's for example with 1.8Ω oem (that which comes with the clearo) coils - Good Prophets, heaven gifts - that also have the Tabac BCC name for the T3. Other vendors have the highest ohm 2.5-2.6ohm 'default' in the clearos - and some don't even sell the 1.8Ω coils or are out of them - ecigbest and a few others. That can be a difference of 2+ Watts and can certainly change the temp of a vape and sometimes blunt the taste of stronger flavors that need more watts.

That said, a 1.8ohm coil on a T3 is a bit cooler than a 1.8ohm coil on a top coil clearo, but it's not a big difference imo. And there may be some bottom coil/wicking clearos that leak but there have not been hundreds of reports on T3's. The T3 has the best sealed system I've seen - it's an improvement from the top coil and poorly designed inside seal of the T2 and it doesn't have the draw and center post problems of the stardusts and other CE clearos.

izaidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2013
Toronto, Canada
flooding is when too much juice goes into the heating element, causing a poor hit, gurgling noise, bad taste. leaking is when juice is dripping out of the device somewhere. flooding can cause it to leak out of the center hole or the mouthpiece, and can cause juice to splatter in your mouth. just remember that not every bottom coil will leak/flood, and almost none will if you use them correctly and buy the better ones out there

thanks for clearing that up for me!

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Hey just a general question about how long clearomizers last for. How often do you have to change/replace the coil ? How often do you have replace the whole unit?

I have 6 PV's with T3's, so my vaping is split up among them (different flavors). My coils (mainly 1.8ohm or 2.2ohms) last about three months. I'll soak them in vodka about every month. I lost one whole unit from a strong flavor - mentholyptus - where the ejuice was coagulating inside and decided to just throw it out. I bought most of them in late Nov.

izaidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I have 6 PV's with T3's, so my vaping is split up among them (different flavors). My coils (mainly 1.8ohm or 2.2ohms) last about three months. I'll soak them in vodka about every month. I lost one whole unit from a strong flavor - mentholyptus - where the ejuice was coagulating inside and decided to just throw it out. I bought most of them in late Nov.

Does that mean the unit, in theory, lasts forever .. and you just have to replace the coils? Thats economical !

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Does that mean the unit, in theory, lasts forever .. and you just have to replace the coils? Thats economical !

4 to 5 months isn't 'forever' :) But unless you have some harsh flavors - menthol, cinnamon or the atomic flavors, then the unit should hold up. Some rebuild coils and wicking, but I chose replacement at these costs. I had a few cracked T2 unit early on - again from menthol(I think they changed the 'polywhatever' tank for the T3's). I had a few cracked vision stardusts/CE's before that.

izaidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 to 5 months isn't 'forever' :) But unless you have some harsh flavors - menthol, cinnamon or the atomic flavors, then the unit should hold up. Some rebuild coils and wicking, but I chose replacement at these costs. I had a few cracked T2 unit early on - again from menthol(I think they changed the 'polywhatever' tank for the T3's). I had a few cracked vision stardusts/CE's before that.

Kool! thanks for the info!

bfrie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Circle Pines, Minnesota
ok bfrie I will now clear all my post on ecf through you .!..
In my only 3 years of vaping I love the bottom coils, better than top coils.

tanks or ego c. Been a few months with a ego bottom coil and no leaks.
maybe you need to learn how to fill yours.

ken mole

I do know how to fill mine just fine. I exclusively use bottom coil clearos and don't see myself using anything else for the time being. I have, however, been able to get mine to leak by filling it improperly, and many users complain about leaking in theirs. The fact that the wick is so close to the bottom means it is very easy to leak out of if something goes wrong. Everything I stated in my posts here was simply to educate the op on the possible downsides of each so they could make an educated decision. I did not say every bc will leak, just that they can

GregoTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lewisville, TX
Hi,

Without getting too product specific, can someone explain the pros/cons/tradeoffs between choosing a top coil and a bottom coil clearomizer? are there any general characteristics before it becomes product specific?

Thank you kindly

The only top coils I've used were the cheap Stardusts. They didn't seem to have any of the problems that the larger top-coils do, or had them pretty rarely. I've read a lot about the Vivi Novas, probably the most popular top coil clearo for big battery mods, and I kept seeing you had to tilt them and stuff more and more as the tank gets lower and lower. I found a great bottom coil clearo that I use with my ProVari and it's the best thing since sliced bread, IMO. No leaks, no dry hits, no flooding, no tilting, coil head cleaning/replacement maybe every couple weeks. They work great with 100% VG also, all you have to do is remove some of the wick which is super easy and takes 10 seconds. Fill and vape. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread