Status
Not open for further replies.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ok... not really repaired, per-se!

My Vamo 510 threads got stripped so badly that nothing at all could screw into it. It was like just a gaping hole! I tried the paper towel and aluminum tape methods mentioned in another thread, but both were a no go. Well, initially they did work, but by the end, no dice!

Since the connector is integrated as part of a solid plate, there is no way to attempt a repair unless you can machine something. I don't have the capability. So... I just took some needle nose pliers and gently squeezed the edges of the 510 connector and deformed it a little.

Now the connector accepts my devices! Of course, it isn't as good as brand new, but it works. Since I only use this Vamo at home, I installed an 510 ego adapter to act as a go-between and all's good now!

I do have a second Vamo which is perfect so far... and, I just ordered another simply because I hate the V3 coming out!

Vamo heaven!

Peace!

KerryK

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2012
Madtown, WI

My Vamo 510 threads got stripped so badly that nothing at all could screw into it. It was like just a gaping hole! I tried the paper towel and aluminum tape methods mentioned in another thread, but both were a no go. Well, initially they did work, but by the end, no dice!

Since the connector is integrated as part of a solid plate, there is no way to attempt a repair unless you can machine something. I don't have the capability. So... I just took some needle nose pliers and gently squeezed the edges of the 510 connector and deformed it a little.

Now the connector accepts my devices! Of course, it isn't as good as brand new, but it works. Since I only use this Vamo at home, I installed an 510 ego adapter to act as a go-between and all's good now!

I do have a second Vamo which is perfect so far... and, I just ordered another simply because I hate the V3 coming out!

Vamo heaven!

Peace!

I had this very same problem and situation happen, and my Vamo has been down for a couple of weeks, thanks for the tip!

I already changed out the spring, replaced the center pin gasket and wrapped it in a black J-Wrap when the threads just wore out fast. Threads seemed way to soft or something...

Last edited:

Proetus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Western Mass
I ordered a 510 to 510 adapter for mine. I noticed that my threads on my twist and spinner were getting loose after only a month. I'm a flavor junkie and generally carry 3-5 different delivery methods with me and will swap a few times in 10 mins! Hopefully the adapter will keep the vamo threads from wearing out and only wear on the adapter.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
I had this very same problem and situation happen, and my Vamo has been down for a couple of weeks, thanks for the tip!

I already changed out the spring, replaced the center pin gasket and wrapped it in a black J-Wrap when the threads just wore out fast. Threads seemed way to soft or something...
I was actually surprised searches on the internet didn't have that many hits for this issue. I did find a few but not as many as I thought there "should" be. The Vamo connector is a weak spot in my opinion.

Your welcome!

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
I’ve done Emergency Repairs before by putting a Small amount of Solder in threads.

More of a Last Resort but it has worked in Some situations.
I tried that too. Worked for a little while, but not long in my case.

I ordered a 510 to 510 adapter for mine. I noticed that my threads on my twist and spinner were getting loose after only a month. I'm a flavor junkie and generally carry 3-5 different delivery methods with me and will swap a few times in 10 mins! Hopefully the adapter will keep the vamo threads from wearing out and only wear on the adapter.
I was thinking about getting the 510 to 510, but I ordered 510 ego simply because it's larger and I can grip it easier.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I tried that too. Worked for a little while, but not long in my case.

Yeah... It is more of a Short Term Fix until you can get another PV ordered.

I have a Vamo and use it as my Out and About PV. It also backs up my Provaris.

If my Vamo Failed for whatever reason, I would get another. Not so much because it is a Killer PV. But because it is Cheap and it does what I want it to do.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
I tend to randomly switch between several different juices during the day and so I own two Vamos, with another on the way, a Smok Natural, (just got that yesterday), and a bunch of 510 Inferno batteries. All of them have different juices so I can just reach out and change flavors on the fly! I'm retired, so I'm home most days. I like the Vamo. It's a pretty good device.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've had this same issue, will have to try it. Unfortunately, the ego threads seem to be nearly shot now as well (i tend to drop my vamo...a lot), and I know fixing that will be infinitely more difficult.

If you can at least get the 510 connector to grab, you can buy a 510 ego adapter and use that to hold your devices. Personally, I wouldn't go with any adapter except a 510 ego simply because it's easier to handle than the smaller 510 to 510 type.

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ziggy, Nice find, except they are in Great Britian and may not take US Dollars, but the price is not too bad. Their PCB is not worth the price however since you might as well buy another replacement at 18 pounds GB.

Anyway, what I wanted to add is that if your VAMO is currently working OK ie: your inner silicone washer is fine and the threads are fine, you might consider an Air Controller to solve both problems. Mad Vapes has one for $2.99 which fits on the top of the VAMO, protects both the inner seal and threads. Link to site here: Tank Airflow Controller

I put one of these on my VAMO and it also solves the problem of carto tanks not having sufficient air flow due to the top sealing off the air.

Since I change tanks frequently during the day, this has been a life saver for my VAMO.

Best Wishes to All
Wabbit

ziggytrix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Dallas, TX
Ziggy, Nice find, except they are in Great Britian and may not take US Dollars, but the price is not too bad. Their PCB is not worth the price however since you might as well buy another replacement at 18 pounds GB.

I checked, they do take Paypal, so you're good on payment options, but I'm not sure if they can ship internationally. I would think they could, but you'd want to contact the store first to be sure they would, especially on such a small item.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm a bit late here, but I found this store in the UK that sells replacement top caps. So if your workaround should happen to fail, that might be an affordable permanent fix. Vamo SS Battery Connector / Top Cap
Good find... for UK people. It would cost $24.56 for the part shipped to me in Ca. Better just to buy a new Vamo from Fastteck and save the PCB from my bad one as a spare. We need a US vendor to bring this in for it to benefit us here.

Their PCB is not worth the price however since you might as well buy another replacement at 18 pounds GB.
You can get a replacement PCB for US $18.98 at ExhaleVapors

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
I had this happen with my KGO and my Vision Spinner. The metal is too soft and "stretches". When I ordered my Vamo from Fasttech I also ordered an adapter so I hopefully avoid that problem. May not look the best, but I'm not constantly screwing/unscrewing into the the Vamo threads. I just leave the adapter on all the time.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago

Vamo heaven!

Peace!

Great idea to squeeze it with pliers to deform it enough to accept a 510 to 510 adaptor. This must be a typical Vamo issue. I too could not find much about stripped threads on a web search, except about Vamos (which I have never used!)

Anyways, nowadays if I buy anything with an aluminum or brass 510 connector, I put a 510 to 510 adaptor on it when I first buy it and leave it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread