FDA to send Section 918 report to Congress on Monday (will include e-cigs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Looks like the FDA missed its Congressionally mandated deadlines today for submitting three reports, apparently including the Section 918 report cited in this thread.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20130401/us-fda-nicotine-replacement/?

Yup, we are now free to use all the Pharma provided quit smoking aids as long as we need them or until our money runs out (as long as our doctors say it's okay). How about allowing vaping under the same conditions? Big Pharma can control the FDA, but I don't think the FDA has that kind of control over ALL the doctors.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I suspect that Mitch Zeller is reviewing (and making changes to) many different tobacco regulations and reports that Deyton was preparing.

But delaying these reports to Congress, while failing to approve any of the 5,000+ "substantial equivalent" applications submitted by cigarette and smokeless tobacco manufacturers, makes it easier for us (and hopefully Republican House members) to criticize the FDA for trying to seize more regulatory power and impose unwarranted regulations (i.e. the deeming regulation and new regs on cigars, vapor products, pipes, dissolvables, etc) that would threaten, instead of benefit, consumer and public health) instead of fulfilling the agency's Congressionally mandated responsibilities that are delineated in the 2009 FSPTCA.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
Smoking is the leading cause of preventable illness and death in the U.S. and is responsible for the majority of the nation's lung cancer deaths. It's also a factor in heart attacks and a variety of illnesses.

Where do I go to CONGRATULATE someone for not saying "nicotine" or "tobacco" ?

MrSato

Jan 3, 2012
Texas
Hey guys i just wanted to share a little bit, i was at the Tobacco Plus Expo of 2013 and The Tobacco Business Outlet sent me a magazine in the mail since i was in it from the expo. It has alot in it about ecigs and what others believe will happen. heres a picture of one of the pages, sorry about quality.

if you want me to post the other couple pages let me know, im looking for a copy of it online...

We assume that the FDA is going to regulate the industry and we'll simply comply and move forward. And as long as it's not unwarranted regulation that somehow restricts or bans the use of these products by adult tobacco consumers, we're actually as much for regulation as we are for standardization.

and then some

20130403_202343.jpg

this might be a little better < not much>
http://s24.postimg.org/yye6qb3gl/20130403_202343.jpg

Last edited:

Elnroth

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Philadelphia
Hey guys i just wanted to share a little bit, i was at the Tobacco Plus Expo of 2013 and The Tobacco Business Outlet sent me a magazine in the mail since i was in it from the expo. It has alot in it about ecigs and what others believe will happen. heres a picture of one of the pages, sorry about quality.

if you want me to post the other couple pages let me know, im looking for a copy of it online...

and then some

View attachment 195390

this might be a little better < not much>
http://s24.postimg.org/yye6qb3gl/20130403_202343.jpg

And why wouldn't they? The best way for them to regain their lost customers and prevent losing the ones they still have, regulate the companies that currently control the ecig market out of business. Maybe we need to initiate a boycott of BT ecigs. I understand this is counter productive to helping people quit smoking as it would be an active campaign to remove a choice available to those trying to quit. But, allowing companies like rj Reynolds to go around whispering in politicians' ears about legislation that would place the market in rj Reynolds' hands without reprisal is soaking up our resources. It would be easy enough to pass out information about the various legislation they have been sponsoring, but that would just complicate how the public views ecigs. I'm probably just being impatient in waiting for the fight to come to me, it would just be refreshing to be on the offensive for once.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
The overwhelming vast majority of mainstream e-smokers couldn't care less
about the parent company of their e-cigarettes. I don't care.

I don't care either as long as regulation doesn't make the cigalike with tobacco flavor in sealed cartridges the only option and I'm sure there are some of the largest e cig companies that would support and even propse just that type regulation. You have to believe that all the BT companies will want to protect their bottom line.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
BT would love to corner the e-cig market. I dont see our options being that plentiful if this happens. Those who think BT is going to fight for US better think again. They would love nothing more than to have regulation for only sealed carts with cig-a-like batts. This will set the entire industry back to where is started (at least in the States). This will put USA vendors out of business or force them to sell to BT.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
BT would love to corner the e-cig market. I dont see our options being that plentiful if this happens. Those who think BT is going to fight for US better think again. They would love nothing more than to have regulation for only sealed carts with cig-a-like batts. This will set the entire industry back to where is started (at least in the States). This will put USA vendors out of business or force them to sell to BT.

Oh, they'll fight for US, just not for us. :p

DanFromRioRancho

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
There have been a lot of well-crafted logical arguments, and a healthy dose of common sense, presented by the forum members in this thread. I thank everyone for that, the information will help me when talking to those that do not vape.

Unfortunately, logic and common sense rarely come into play between Congress and the various governmental agencies.

I doubt that Congress cares if any given report from any given agency is delayed or not, and I doubt they care about any given recommendation, unless:
1. The reports and recommendations could have a "significant" impact on manufacturing and employment (which equals electability)
2. The reports and recommendations could have a "significant" impact on public perception (which equals electability)
3. The reports and recommendations could have a "significant" impact on campaign contributions (which equals electability)

Recommendations on ecigs will have little impact on any of those items. Some will disagree, primarily due to a perception that supporting ecigs may impact contributions from BT and BP, but those organizations have much more skin in the game on the side of allowing them to continue what they are doing as opposed to dealing with a "potential" threat or opportunity from what is still a very small industry.

The FDA does however have an overarching agenda, that is an ingrained part of their culture, to play Nanny and protect us from ourselves -- the little people just aren't smart enough to be allowed the liberty of making their own decisions when it comes to their health and safety.

As such, I'm willing to bet that the guts of the ecig portion of the report will be very simple, politically safe, and contain just a few "factual" statements:
1. Nicotine is an addictive poison and members of the public *could* harm themselves unless dosages are controlled.
2. The effects of vaping wide-ranging combinations of nicotine, PG, VG and flavorings have not been well studied and the potential benefits and harms have not been scientifically determined. Members of the public *could* harm themselves using certain combinations.
3. The effects of quality control on nicotine, PG, VG and flavorings when used in various combinations via vaping is unknown. Members of the public *could* harm themselves unless the quality of those components is regulated.
4. The effects of nicotine usage via lozenges, gum, and patches have been well studied by the scientific community and it has been determined that the benefits outweigh potential harm.
4. Funding for those studies has been provided by the industries that manufacture those products.
5. Therefore it is in the best interest of the public to place a "hold" on the ecig industry until the manufacturers can provide, at their own expense, acceptable assurances that they have instituted acceptable quality control on the components and the public will receive a positive benefit/harm ratio.

The only big unknown is the exact nature of the "Hold" on the industry.

I believe this will translate to crappy products from fewer industry players at significantly higher retail prices, but *probably* not the death of the industry.

:2c:

Last edited:

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
The only big unknown is the exact nature of the "Hold" on the industry.

I believe this will translate to crappy products from fewer industry players at significantly higher retail prices, but *probably* not the death of the industry.

:2c:

Most people on this forum are customers of the CUSTOM ecig and eliquid industry, and perceive ourselves as back to combustibles if it's that or Blu/NJoy etc. So it WOULD be the death of OUR industry. I admit it would not be the end of ecigs for other people...but I've noticed that the older folks with breathing problems and a 45-year history of smoking seem more-likely than young folks to need to go way beyond cigalikes in order to stay off the stinkys.

DanFromRioRancho

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Most people on this forum are customers of the CUSTOM ecig and eliquid industry, and perceive ourselves as back to combustibles if it's that or Blu/NJoy etc. So it WOULD be the death of OUR industry. I admit it would not be the end of ecigs for other people...but I've noticed that the older folks with breathing problems and a 45-year history of smoking seem more-likely than young folks to need to go way beyond cigalikes in order to stay off the stinkys.

Agreed -- I appreciate your distinction between the custom and mass-market industries.

I'm one of the older folk you're talking about and it would put a major hurt on me -- I would need to rely on a replay of the roaring 20's and hope that a modern tech-savvy generation of bootleggers are available until *maybe* the custom industry becomes legitimized.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
Agreed -- I appreciate your distinction between the custom and mass-market industries.

I'm one of the older folk you're talking about and it would put a major hurt on me -- I would need to rely on a replay of the roaring 20's and hope that a modern tech-savvy generation of bootleggers are available until *maybe* the custom industry becomes legitimized.

I'm in the custom community. I have prepared for the worst they can do by leaning to make my own e liquid, stockpiling nic, buying mechanical mods to back up my vv and vw mods with boards that could go wrong. I invested in rebuildable atomizers, stocked up on the cartos I still use off and on and my favorite low res 901p dripping atties. I have no small stuff, only mods that use rechargeable batteries, some in the 18xxx range and some in the 26xxx range.

I came to this from having no faith in my government, and fear of being unable to get supplies after the deeming.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
I'm in the custom community. I have prepared for the worst they can do by leaning to make my own e liquid, stockpiling nic, buying mechanical mods to back up my vv and vw mods with boards that could go wrong. I invested in rebuildable atomizers, stocked up on the cartos I still use off and on and my favorite low res 901p dripping atties. I have no small stuff, only mods that use rechargeable batteries, some in the 18xxx range and some in the 26xxx range.

I came to this from having no faith in my government, and fear of being unable to get supplies after the deeming.

That does not work for people who need things that you can NOT make at home, that are in short supply. I'm not going to mention it on a thread that might be lurked, but there are enough other threads and posts about it that y'all can guess.

DanFromRioRancho

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

You're a lucky guy. That strategy is out of reach for many of us (guessing probably especially my brethren old folk).

I'm curious -- How many years do you think you can last, and do you have a Plan B for when your stockpile runs out?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
There have been a lot of well-crafted logical arguments, and a healthy dose of common sense, presented by the forum members in this thread. I thank everyone for that, the information will help me when talking to those that do not vape.

Unfortunately, logic and common sense rarely come into play between Congress and the various governmental agencies.

This explains government thought-

CarlinonGovernment_zps39378f91.jpg

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
You're a lucky guy. That strategy is out of reach for many of us (guessing probably especially my brethren old folk).

I'm curious -- How many years do you think you can last, and do you have a Plan B for when your stockpile runs out?

I'm female and 73. At the nic level I vape I can last well past 3 years with nic in the juice, perhaps longer if the nic holds it's clarity. When my stock runs out I will either vape zero nic or resume tobacco cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread