Ohm - stuck at 1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamJ

Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
NJ
Just a quick one here. I've been recently playing with mech mods and am trying to get into practive wrapping low res coils. I'm using 400 SS mesh for wick and 28ga Kanthal A-1 for my coil wrapping 2/3 and all my coils come out at 1.5 ohm. I'm trying to get to the 0.8 or 1.0 ohm level with no success. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Am I not wrapping my coils tight enough and therefore using too much wire? Help....

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
How are you measuring your resistance? The resistance is due to the amount of wire you use. With 28g and that few wraps, you should be hitting the sub 1ohm with no problem. Is your wick really really fat? If you're using a multimeter, remember that you have to touch the 2 leads together first to get a base reading, then subtract that reading from the reading you get when you touch the leads to the atty. My multimeter has a base of .3 so if I get a reading of say.. 1.5, I know to subtract .3 and it's really 1.2

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
im not saying that this is the problem but one time I ordered some 28g wire from OKC vapes, when I opened the package I knew right away that they had miss labeled it. the wire was actually 32g instead of 28g. I believe this was an isolated incident, and have ordered from them since, they have great prices on wire & mesh. im sure you also would of noticed the difference in wire gauge so most likely it is something else, but it is a possibility.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
more coils is more resistance but it is the length of wire & the gauge that determines it. 28g is thicker thus it has a lower resistance of 32g. think of it as a hose, the larger the hose the more easily water is traveling thru it, so there is less resistance on the water. now a thinner wire is higher resistance, there again a hose, water traveling in such a small area has more resistance on it, like it is being forced thru it. now the hose is the wire and the water is the electrons. besides this it is also determined by the length of the wire, the longer the section, the higher the resistance.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
this is why I always preferred low resistances, I feel like the extra volts needed to force the electrons thru such a small wire has an affect on the taste of the vapor. a thick wire is like a race car, where things are cruzing thru uninhibited, fast ,and more freely, where as a thin wire is like a traffic jam. once you use more then 4.5 volts, I believe that this becomes much more harsh, and more metallic in flavor. I much prefer lower volts, which is lower resistance.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Thanks, would you have a clue as to how I can achieve a approximate 1 ohm coil on 32g kanthal? And if it is safe to run 1ohm on a 3.7v aw imr 18350 battery?

it is really dependant of the diameter of your wick, on average maybe a 3/4 wrap? I haven't used 32g wire in like a year, the closest I have is 30g with a 3/32 wick, this set up is a 4/5 wrap coming in at 1.1Ω. so if you have a smaller diameter wick then I would guess around 3 wraps, but TBH it has been a while. you can try 32g for low resistance but it is not the way to go. the smaller wire imparts more heat to the wick because it is heating a smaller area, a thicker wire spreads out this heat more, so you will get a much smoother vape and a lot more flavor from a thicker wire. for low res set-up use 28g or 30g. 32g is really made for higher res. and yes to your last question. aw imr bats are the best

AdamJ

Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
NJ
photo.jpg

Here is a pic of one of the coils. I've used a digital multimeter to measure the resistance. The resistance of the meter is factored into the 1.5 im starting. I am using 28ga wire. I'm not new to rebuildables....even though my coil is UGLY, just to using 28ga wire to make low res coils. I can wrap a 2.5 ohm 4/5 coil of 32 with my eyes shut....just cant figure this one out. Any imput based on the pic? I still sustect its too loose.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
so is this an I-hybrid? ok you have 28g and it is metering to 1.5Ω. do you also have a vv device? if you do what resistance is that device metering out to? how is it vaping besides from all this? also if you take off the wire and just check the resistance of the wire with the mm, what does this read?

AdamJ

Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
NJ
Its running on a Wand on a fresh 18650 testing at 4.23 volts. My VV's dont have Ohm checkers....I know, time to upgrade. Its vaping clean, just tastes a bit cool and takes a sec to get crackin. If this were on a VV I would notch it up by half a volt. I have not though to dissamble the coil and check the wire, I will deff do that when I get back...gone for the weekend. One thing I did try though is metering a coil I rolled not in the device to see if that would come in any lower....usually dont do that but figured I would try. That came in at 1.1. Might be loosening when I'm trying to tighten it down or might be the wire is just not a great 28ga as you seem to be thinking. I'll mess a bit and get back.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Its running on a Wand on a fresh 18650 testing at 4.23 volts. My VV's dont have Ohm checkers....I know, time to upgrade. Its vaping clean, just tastes a bit cool and takes a sec to get crackin. If this were on a VV I would notch it up by half a volt. I have not though to dissamble the coil and check the wire, I will deff do that when I get back...gone for the weekend. One thing I did try though is metering a coil I rolled not in the device to see if that would come in any lower....usually dont do that but figured I would try. That came in at 1.1. Might be loosening when I'm trying to tighten it down or might be the wire is just not a great 28ga as you seem to be thinking. I'll mess a bit and get back.
well good luck on it when you get back. one thing with 28g wire is that it does take a little time to heat if the wattage is to low, this is why it works on mechanical mods the best. I think you need at least 13 watts for 28g wire, minimum. also 28g is a smoother vape compared to thinner wires, I describe it as smoother but some may describe it as cooler. now you were saying that you were checking it at 4.32v and that if you had done this on a vv device that you would increase the voltages, well this might not be within the vv devices capability's. if I am comprehending this correctly you have to think about the amp limits on vv devices. if you indeed have a coil that is sub -1, then a vv device wouldn't be able to fire it at much more then 3.5 volts. anyways good luck with it and report back.

Vito Capone

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ok thank you sir. I'm using a aga (1.4ohm) on a vamo now it's ok I guess but I wanna try a 1ohm. Currently waiting for Hoosier to stock up on the k-100 (empire clone) for my 1st mech mod.

Does the vamo have a 1.2 ohm cutoff, I thougt I heard that somewhere. Of course if it is going onto a mech it wouldn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread