RJ Reynolds declares war on e-cigarette companies and consumers in states

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
During the past week, I helped generate the two following new articles exposing RJ Reynolds' campaign to ban and/or significantly increase costs for nearly all (if not all) existing e-cigarette sales in OK and RI, and for many/most in NC.

This new three page long Daily Caller article is truly excellent (I couldn't have written it better myself)
Big tobacco stubs out e-cigarette competitors | The Daily Caller

Unfortunately, yesterday's Winston Salem Journal article portrayed Reynolds as a responsible tobacco company that doesn't want youth using e-cigs.
Bill would close loophole allowing e-cigarette sales to minors - Winston-Salem Journal: Local

There are already ECF threads on the OK, RI and NC bills that Reynolds is sponsoring.

Another likely reason why Reynolds is sponsoring state legislation to ban (and/or significantly increase costs for) e-cigarettes sold by hundreds of other companies is because Reynolds reported a 5.6% cigarette volume decline in 2012, while overall cigarette industry volume declined by 2.3%.
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...rnings_on_resilient_operating_performance.pdf

Last edited:

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Its the same thing Big T did to basically use the government to eliminate smaller competition by driving the cost of being in the tobacco industry so high you had to be a multi billion dollar company to even compete.

We can't keep companies like this from entering the industry, but we have to stop laws and regulations that will hand the industry over to them on a silver platter.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Wow! Unfortunately I'm not surprised by the article in the Winston Salem Journal. As a resident here for many years now RJR has so many things & places named in its honor its not hard to put 2 & 2 together. So many residents make their money off of big tobacco in this area that I'd be shocked if anyone was brave enough to publish an article of anything other than glowing reviews & praise for RJR.

Last edited:

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
Hopefully, all vapers will boycott anything Vuse, or anything RJ Reynolds.

We should all write our senators asking to block SB 802. Letters are better than internet, but an email is better than nothing.

Call toll-free 1-866-658-8337 to be connected to your legislators' offices

Last edited:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This is a classic example of American crony capitalism.

Lots of folks here try to make the point that Big Pharma, operating through their "ownership" of the FDA, is vaping's biggest enemy, and that Big Tobacco is our buddy because of its investment in e-cigarette companies.

Clearly this strategy by RJR demonstrates that both BP and BT are exploiting the system equally to squish the threat e-cigarettes pose to their cozy monopolies.

DanFromRioRancho

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
So, the small guy has not place, big business only? Besides, Wally World sucks!

You may have misunderstood my post; put an emphasis on "unfortunately".

I refuse to go to StarBucks, and I will not shop at WalMart because of the way they destroy the Mom & Pop shops.

I am making the statement that the destruction of the Mom & Pop shops is a business model that brings the bully-boys success -- we shouldn't be surprised when other bullies try to make their success in the same fashion.

You don't have to like it, I certainly hate it, but we have to recognize it's existence and be aware that you and I are not going to change it.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
Yes, I did misunderstand. Sorry about that, chief! I don't think we will like what Phillip Morris would dictate what we use. If we're lucky, they won't be able to shove this thing through. If they do, I hope we will still be able to by mod's, and such. I'm stocking up on nic base as much as possible, just in case.

If not, then we may see your avatar posted on ecig web sites.:evil:

I refuse to go to StarBucks, and I will not shop at WalMart because of the way they destroy the Mom & Pop shops.

I am making the statement that the destruction of the Mom & Pop shops is a business model that brings the bully-boys success -- we shouldn't be surprised when other bullies try to make their success in the same fashion.

You don't have to like it, I certainly hate it, but we have to recognize it's existence and be aware that you and I are not going to change it.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home

I also refuse to shop at the large retail stores. I'll chose the mom and pop stores, or the employee owned places evertime. If enough people had the same feelings then the big coporations might get just the slightest tingle. They wouldn't be hurt by anymeans, but everytime someone does not purchase from them it takes just a few pennies from their pocket. I'll stand by my choices and hope others will also. If enough pennies are taken they will start to notice. (proubable not but I can dream).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread