Top Coil vs Bottom Coil Atomizers/Clearomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheila Michele 1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have several clearomizers, all top coil ?? Most are Vision or Stardust, and a couple have long wicks. All but 4 are small ( 1.6 ml) The larger ones hold 2.0 ml.

Im seeing a bunch of bottom coil clearos and want to know if for those that use them, have replaced their top coils and what is the benefits.

We have taken all our clearos apart for cleaning, so we arent complete total newbs here....LOL

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
I started off with a Vivi Nova and a T3. I much prefer the bottom coil clearomizers. The T3 is an airy draw (which I don't mind) but can be made tighter by plugging up 1 or 2 of the holes in the base by inserting a toothpick and breaking it off. I much prefer the Evods which don't hiss or gurgle like a T3 sometimes does. The Evod heads are also cheaper to replace.

The bottom coil clearomizers provide a cooler vape compared to the warm vape from a top coil. Again, I prefer that but others may not. The bottom coils are also easier to fill and clean IMHO. So far I've never had one leak on me, even after cleaning.

rotku

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2012
columbus, oh
The bottom coil devices and rebuildables are very popular right now. The majority of complaints on the bottom feeders is gurgling and leakage. I have used both types. For me, I tend to like a warmer vape so I lean toward the top coil Kanger T-2's. Since I vape with the device horizontal I do not get dry hits. That said, I will certainly try the Protank because I have seen many positive reviews.

Blurgas

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2012
I'd bought a Mini Nova and a Kanger T3 at the same time because each had sizable fanbases
For the first week they were about equal in flavor/vapor/etc, but after that week the T3 started leaking on me, gurgling and just generally being a pain to use
The Nova has been running like a champ the last 3 months. No leaks/gurgles unless I overfilled and no dry hits(more times than not it's either fully filled or lying on its side), and this is after dropping the whole thing and slightly bending the center post

Around the time I'd bought the two is when Kanger was tinkering with the design of the T3 without changing the model name/number/etc, so it's possible I got one of the "duds"

In the end, it comes down to whatever device you like best

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I use the protank most of the time (4 filled with different juices) and one nova stv because that is the one top coil I've found that wicks well and gives me good flavor and ease of use. Everything else is just collecting dust, some stuff still in their original packaging having never been opened. I'll probably give those to my friends when they decide they're ready to make the switch. Some are T2's and mini nova knock offs, and a few packs of carto's.

BdMoore85

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2013
Norman, Oklahoma
I've been vaping for about 2 months now, and I've tried a bunch of different "brands" of clearomizers, and different styles and types, and recently started using cartos and tanks (which I now prefer) over any type of clearomizer...anyways back to the question at hand... I have noticed that with a kanger MT3, the draw is tremendously more "airy" compared clearo's(but their are fixes...but I don't really care to make any ghetto mods to a piece of equipment like breaking a toothpick off in one of the air holes). The kanger is bottom coil and I've noticed the air is "cooler" compares to top coil and cartos...

Now with the flavor....IMHO, the flavor is muted compared to anything else I've tried. Why? I don't know, I've tried different flavors, switching brands, different ohm resistances, and even went as far as removing one of the wicks! Maybe it's just me or I got (10) bad replacement heads or some bad batches of juice...doubt it though.

The kanger is cheaper than say, a vivi nova or standard clearo, and vapes different as well, but the flavor just isn't there, and it dry-hits wayyyy to much for me.... Idk if the flavor is strictly a bottom coil thing or what, but I really have been thinking about trying a "vapeonly" bottom coil as I have heard and read very good things about them, so maybe check one of those as well....sorry for the rambling but I thought I would give my advice on a product I want so desperately to work!

Last edited:

navkat

Mar 6, 2012
Deep South
I absolutely adore bottom coils. GotVapes sent me a pack by mistake and have taken their sweet-... time sending me the correct thing I ordered so I had no choice but to use them but once they send me my correct order (and I see that they're doing right by me), I'm thinking of ordering a bunch of these bottom-coil phoenixes from them again.

Well, I'm a newbie, but I started with Mini ViVi Novas for my eGo Twist. I purchased 2 Kanger T3s because of all the positive comments I've read. I like them ok. They are a little airier than the Novas, but the main thing I noticed is they are cooler. I like the warmer vapor. It may be just me, but I find the Novas produce a better flavor too. The T3s have worked well, no leaks and easy to fill. The having to tilt with the Novas isn't a problem with me because I lay it on it's side. So I'm kinda like everyone else here, it's really up to your preference.

shedevil7953

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
Central Indiana
okay just got 4 new EVODS and guess what? they leak too! why can't I find a clearo that doesn't leak if you hit it 3 or 4 times in a row? I can feel the heat in the base so assume this is causing the leaking. it's almost like I have to remove it, let it cool down and then I can vape some more until the next leak. I hate having to turn them upside down, blow out the juice a few times because I lose so much juice that way. I like the convenience of a clearo more than a carto tank. this is SO frustrating, not to mention the money I've spent. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread