Best 18350 Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rush808

Feb 16, 2013
Socal
Hi,

Been searching around for what is the top of the line 18350 Battery. Unfortunately the ever popular search button delivers be random threads (evic tubes, telescoping mods, ect) due to "18350" is the smallest mod/APV option.

I plan on using it solo. I currently have an EFest IMR V2 800 Mah LiMn, is there something better out there? (in the 18350 series).

Please help a "Newb" out.

side question what is the next size up?

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
^ Thanks all.

Tom, why is AW better? is it quality, proven over time (through other vaper(s) experience)? does AW have a longer shelf life?

I notice the AW is about 100 mah less than EFest, can i conclude; the fully charged EFest will last longer than a fully charged AW?
When producing cells, they grade them on quality. The top quality ones go to AW the 2nd grade go to efest and off name products.

I had two Efest and two AW IMR 14500 Batteries that I alternated. In 6 months the Efest went bad, the Aw IMR were still chugging away.

I suspect, and because I don't have 18350 from Efest and can't' test myself that AW gives an honest Mah rating whereas Efest may be exaggerating and under real use, might come in at or below the Aw IMR

I have a Lamp for my bike and I did a test.
I had Orbritronic 18650 Batteries which are very high quality the Mah was 2800
I compared it to an Ultrafire 3100mah

Basically I ran the batteries in the lamp and timed them.
With the ultrafire after around 2 hours it began to dim and ran out 1/2 hour later.
The Orbritronic ran for over 2 1/2 hours steady bright light and shut off at 3 hours.

So MAH is not everything.

On the other hand I compared two Protected Trustfire 14500 900mah to two Aw Imr 14500 batteries and the Trustfires left the Aw IMR trailing in a cloud of dust.

The Box mod I was using it in would not have tested the tolerances of the Trustfire so it was the better deal.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
There are a lot of decisions involving batteries.

My rule of thumb.
1. What size fits in the Mod. Some are sized that they'll only fit an IMR Battery.
In that case I buy AW IMG from Light Hound. They are famous on the Flashlight forums for being a reliable source for AW
There are many knockoffs out there and I don't buy anywhere else
2. What is my application. If I'm going to be doing just regular vaping than you can get by with a Quality Lithium Ion Non IMR Battery [Protected]
If you are planning on doing extreme vaping, Example dual coils at high Voltage, than you definitely will need an IMR Battery
Two Links
A. http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9dkanCt0I1qc8949o2_1280.png
IF you are in the Red Zone definitely IMR
B.
Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator
Check the Amps, if you are at 2 Amps no problem, 2.5 Amps Caution Zone 3 Amps you want IMR or High Drain by the way any experts who want to correct my assessment feel free. this is an opinion and shouldn't be taken as a engraved in stone fact.

3. Your device. Devices are specific, If you are on a Mechanical Mod and doing xtreme vaping, you need your head examined if you don't use an IMR or a High Drain Battery. While Protected batteries have protection, they are often cheap and you can't count on the protection always going off. Bad Things can happen.
Provari and other VV that are high tech will usually have the circuitry to cut off if something bad happens with your battery. Still if you are in the Red Zone or Vaping above 2.5Amps than you need High drain.

I welcome the opinion of experts on this matter.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
That's good to know. My Provari came with AW IMR so started buying that brand.
I've been using Protected Orbitronic Batteries on my Provari for years without issue. Orbritronic is a very good quality Chinese Cel.

But on my Provari I vaped a 2.4OHm or 2.8 Clearomizer at around 4.2 to 4.8 this is low amperage vaping, so I saved money without a performance drop.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When producing cells, they grade them on quality. The top quality ones go to AW the 2nd grade go to efest and off name products.

I had two Efest and two AW IMR 14500 Batteries that I alternated. In 6 months the Efest went bad, the Aw IMR were still chugging away.

I suspect, and because I don't have 18350 from Efest and can't' test myself that AW gives an honest Mah rating whereas Efest may be exaggerating and under real use, might come in at or below the Aw IMR

MAH is not everything.
I agree with the above comments. :thumb:

The ECF battery guru's state, "Our advice is that the best and the safer choice of battery for APVs is the AW IMR Li-Mn rechargeable. - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

I've had 3 AW 18650 IMR's for at least a year in constant daily rotation. They are still working nearly like new. I've also been using 6 AW 18350 IMRs in a Mini Provari, a Segelei V8, and a Smoktech Gripper for a few months and they are performing up to their advertised mAh rating.

I would place very low priority on the quality of a battery based solely on mAh rating. It's as much an inflated sales tactic as anything, especially with lesser recognized battery brands. AW or Panasonic has no need to inflate mAh ratings based on their long-time reputations.

Last edited:

Tmartin63

Happy Vaper
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
Coldspring, Texas, United States
I came across this thread trying to find the best 18350 available for a vamo and nemesis clone. I have had no luck at all with 18350. Had the cheap ones that come from FT. They lasted about 2 weeks. I read on here efest was the best so I bought 2 eFest 18350's from RTD and the first one stopped working after about 3 weeks. The second one stopped yesterday, about 6 weeks old. Put it in the vamo, shows 4.2 volts, take two draws, shows low voltage, stick it in my intellicharger and it shows one bar. I guess I will have to try the AW's, hopefully they will last longer

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I would place very low priority on the quality of a battery based solely on mAh rating. It's as much an inflated sales tactic as anything, especially with lesser recognized battery brands.

Absolutely. The mAh rating may mean something on the better batteries, but it means nothing on the junk. The difficult part is figuring out where the line is between the two. I am not disparaging Efest, they are nearly on par with the AWs in my experience.

I am rotating four UltraFire 18350's 1200mah through my Innokin iTaste SVD (two stacked) and am very happy with the results. I'm a chain vaper and get a good hour from them before the SVD calls me "Lou". :) They perform much better than a single 18650 3000mah UltraFire. Of course, I would expect them to.

I'm looking to add two more to the rotation. May give the eFest a try.

-Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread