MKB-TS Mechanical Mod (GGTS Clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

c00lkatz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
Drunk and just ordered one. Anyone have this? Thoughts/opinions?

(For the purists/enthusiasts, if I could actually order a genuine one I would, but until supply meets demand, I'll stick with the China clones. I'm impatient and refuse to wait months for one to emerge and then have to fight over it).

EDIT: Anyone know who the manufacturer is? Some speculate it's the same as the Terminator...which would be awesome because it's a perfect clone.

Last edited:

Xylocaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This is made by the same company that makes the iSeason which means the stock spring is steel and garbage. I own an iSeason and I am very happy with it (with a custom made bolt mod to replace the spring) and I'm definitely going to save up the cash to pick one of these up god it looks gorgeous. I would love it to have brass middle extension tube but I don't think that will come about.

Just re-read your post and you were interested in the maker, Shenzhen Rainbow Heaven. They also make the Vamo.

Also as I'm relatively unfamiliar with the GG as I've never owned one or a clone (other than the iSeason which is virtually the same) does anyone know if an iGo-L, Phoenix Clone or AGA T+ will fit on this? I'm seeing a lot of stacking adapters to get a 'flush' connection but no pictures with something actually attached to it (Without a bunch of adapters)

Last edited:

c00lkatz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yeah I don't get why they call the KTS/ChiChi/whatever a clone of the GGTS. They look nothing alike. Still a decent, cheap mod none-the-less.

The MKB-TS I have high hopes for, especially considering the price. If all it needs is a simple spring swap or negative solid post upgrade, then that's fine by me, easy enough. I'm hoping it's considerably better quality than what I have (KTS, Natural Flat Top, K100), we'll see. I looked at the EA mod at a local B&M, but just wasn't impressed enough to spend ~$200 on it.

As for the adapters, the same goes for the GGTS. I don't know why it was designed this way, doesn't make sense to me. GG came out with a special adapter for the GGTS but apparently it doesn't work on the MKB-TS. Why they wouldn't just keep the threading all the same is beyond me. I mean they're going so far as to copy the entire design, why change the threads? I got a 510/901 and 901/510 adapters to hopefully bring the connection flush at the top. The ego/510 and 510/510 apparently brings the connector slightly above the top and won't allow the air control to work. We'll see when it gets here. Hopefully I got the right adapters. As for voltage drop...again we'll see. I didn't think about that until after the order was placed. The GGTS utilizes the same setup, and it's wildly popular, so I can't imagine it would be too bad.

Aoi~

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Sunny So. Cal
The connector on the GGTS is inside the collector tank/air control tank. Back then people didn't use tanks much I guess? The MKB clone seems to follow that route. The GG stealth cap eliminates the need for connectors, at the expense of lack of airflow control.

510 to 901 (regular, not shorty) + 901 to 510 brings stuff flush with the top cap on GGTS as well.

Cid78

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Indonesia
The connector on the GGTS is inside the collector tank/air control tank. Back then people didn't use tanks much I guess? The MKB clone seems to follow that route. The GG stealth cap eliminates the need for connectors, at the expense of lack of airflow control.

510 to 901 (regular, not shorty) + 901 to 510 brings stuff flush with the top cap on GGTS as well.

I don't understand this as i never know about GG.. pictures will be apreciated...

Xylocaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Basically the connection post sits very deep within the vent cap as opposed to the GG Stealth which has a regular 510 flush connection. I didn't find pictures or the diagrams to be a very good explanation so I did this little paint drawing for you. This may be slightly incorrect but the concept is the same. As you see there is a very long well before you actually hit the 510 connector in the GGTS/MKB-TS as opposed to the Adam/iSeason/GG Stealth/Just about any flat top mech mod.

GG Explanation.jpg

c00lkatz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well, got it in yesterday, and man is it nice. It has a nice, solid, sturdy feel to it, and is made out of the same material with the same finish as the Terminator, feels just as hefty, too. The button is easy to push, not too firm. The threads are very nice, good machining from what I can tell. No slop after it's all tightened up. Definitely better quality than the Natural and leaps and bounds better than the KTS/Chi Chi. I do not own an EA mod, but I've played with one at a local B&M, and I would easily put this on par with it as far as quality and feel goes.

As for how it hits, with the steel spring it's a bit weaker than my all brass contact (modded) Natural and what I remember of the EA mod. I removed the spring and ran the battery straight off the brass post, and there was a big improvement. I put the spring back in for now, but either a solid post or brass spring will be in my future.

As for features, it is loaded. Air flow control, adjustable brass/SS switch with lock ring, adjustable sliding brass positive pin, adjustable bottom spring (although the spring is steel, its base/bottom pin is brass).

My only gripes are the need for adapters (which kind of makes the top pin being brass pointless), and the gold plating I feel may not hold up to use and abuse.

All in all, this is my favorite mech mod I've tried so far, and I am extremely pleased with it. I was tempted to get an EA mod, but just couldn't justify the price for what you get. At this price range ($99 minus any coupons or reward points), I am more than satisfied with this mod.

EDIT: According to another thread, it would appear the Terminator is made by Rainbow as well, so perhaps they are made by the same manufacturer. Looking at the Terminator next to the MKB-TS, I would certainly believe it!

Last edited:

forg1vn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA
Well, got it in yesterday, and man is it nice. It has a nice, solid, sturdy feel to it, and is made out of the same material with the same finish as the Terminator, feels just as hefty, too. The button is easy to push, not too firm. The threads are very nice, good machining from what I can tell. No slop after it's all tightened up. Definitely better quality than the Natural and leaps and bounds better than the KTS/Chi Chi. I do not own an EA mod, but I've played with one at a local B&M, and I would easily put this on par with it as far as quality and feel goes.

As for how it hits, with the steel spring it's a bit weaker than my all brass contact (modded) Natural and what I remember of the EA mod. I removed the spring and ran the battery straight off the brass post, and there was a big improvement. I put the spring back in for now, but either a solid post or brass spring will be in my future.

As for features, it is loaded. Air flow control, adjustable brass/SS switch with lock ring, adjustable sliding brass positive pin, adjustable bottom spring (although the spring is steel, its base/bottom pin is brass).

My only gripes are the need for adapters (which kind of makes the top pin being brass pointless), and the gold plating I feel may not hold up to use and abuse.

All in all, this is my favorite mech mod I've tried so far, and I am extremely pleased with it. I was tempted to get an EA mod, but just couldn't justify the price for what you get. At this price range ($99 minus any coupons or reward points), I am more than satisfied with this mod.

EDIT: According to another thread, it would appear the Terminator is made by Rainbow as well, so perhaps they are made by the same manufacturer. Looking at the Terminator next to the MKB-TS, I would certainly believe it!

give us updates on it as you use it and figure out ways to improve on the design =D is there such thing as a copper/brass plated 510/510 adapter?

Slartibartfast

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Another option for people using Terminators with the MKB-TS is to just use a 510-to-ego adapter and leave the top cap off the MKB-TS. The top of the 510-to-ego is almost level with the top of the collector tank rim (just a hair below) and the Term screws down flush on the rim. It's not "air tight" but it's close enough to use the air flow control ring properly. Gives it a nice solid look and you get to use one less adapter.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I have heard that both the MKB-TS and the Terminator are made by the same company. Rainbow or something like that. It is my hope that they will come out with a MKB-TS Base for the Terminator in the future (clone of the Odysseus GGTS Base). "Fingers crossed".

Last edited:

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
+1 on the MKB-TS! Got mine a week and a half ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it ever since. I was using a Natural, but it seems to lay silent now.

Build quality is very good. A little cleaning and polishing is needed when new, but it sure looks nice. I even polished the threads and with a little petroleum jelly on the threads they are almost smooth as butter. When received, the switch was loose. A little tightening and then the switch worked very well.

The strange base is designed for Imeo's tanks. If you have an Ody or a Terminator with the GG base you can remove the top gold cap, and the tank will screw onto the large threads the cap used. COV shows them for just over 12 bucks, if you can get one. Makes a MUCH sturdier connection and then integrates itself into the overall design. And, IMO, the GG system is one of the best.

Did have one problem, and it relates to the use of adapters. Pay close attention that they do not short! I use a 510 to 901 adapter, followed by a 901 to 510. Puts the top of my connector slightly below the level of the cap. That way my Terminator sits very close to flush (I don't have a GG bottom either, still use 510 threads). The airflow works very well with this method. BUT, my 901-510 connector shorted. The way I found out is that the switch button got several hundred degrees hot in just about a second! Caused the spring to collapse and it had to be replaced (spring update at this time). Maybe in the near future they will make a base available, and also the one-piece sliding pin adapter (GG uses one, but I have heard it is NOT thread compatible with the MKB).

In short, beautiful device, functions very well, and at a hundred bucks is worth every penny. The only upgrade to this design would be if it was possible to own an actual GG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread