New US legislative status map - please comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hi people,

A quick heads up that I'm currently constructing a map of legislation past and current to give a visual picture of the situation to ECFers who perhaps weren't aware of what's going on.

In particular, I will be placing a call to action icon on any state with a current CASAA call to action, with details contained within the text box and a link to the relevant C2A page.

Additionally, I will be color coding the states and counties according to their status. Please take a look at the draft page and give me your feedback.

Once this is ready (soon) I will have a link to it from every forum on ECF.

SJ

Last edited:

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
For now, WONDERFUL!

Long-term:

I think a state prone to county and city bans should be striped a pale orange no matter what the main color of the state is. Or something.

For instance the BIG RED arrow on Sacrament is appropriate but there could be a little black or something (for already done) around Contra Costa County and some marking addable to Petaluma, San Francisco. Would it be Wiki-ized so that people can update without bothering you? I'd put small red arrow for Palo Alto (I think...haven't heard lately) so that people realize the danger we are in.

Or maybe a special color for smaller units where I don't think CASAA should be expected to be involved but locals might care. CERTAINLY I would care if it were my city.

Or...maybe a big "To get email alerts about your own city, county, and state subscribe to CASAA"

Not sure exactly.

In any case, THANK YOU for the big effort so far!

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Thanks Berylanna,

Unfortunately, the software is limited to a palette of plain colors - no stripes I'm afraid, however we can have different line and fill colors. Also, it's not wiki-izeable, it has to be done by hand. Not a problem, though. I'm happy to keep it updated.

One thing I haven't yet done is to create a legend to explain what the colors mean. That will be done asap.

By the way, there shouldn't be a big red arrow there at all! Costa County is colored red, and California is colored yellow - under threat. I'm not 100% about the coloring at the moment and up for suggestions.

Thanks!

SJ

For now, WONDERFUL!

Long-term:

I think a state prone to county and city bans should be striped a pale orange no matter what the main color of the state is. Or something.

For instance the BIG RED arrow on Sacrament is appropriate but there could be a little black or something (for already done) around Contra Costa County and some marking addable to Petaluma, San Francisco. Would it be Wiki-ized so that people can update without bothering you? I'd put small red arrow for Palo Alto (I think...haven't heard lately) so that people realize the danger we are in.

Or maybe a special color for smaller units where I don't think CASAA should be expected to be involved but locals might care. CERTAINLY I would care if it were my city.

Or...maybe a big "To get email alerts about your own city, county, and state subscribe to CASAA"

Not sure exactly.

In any case, THANK YOU for the big effort so far!

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
Thanks Berylanna,

Unfortunately, the software is limited to a palette of plain colors - no stripes I'm afraid, however we can have different line and fill colors. Also, it's not wiki-izeable, it has to be done by hand. Not a problem, though. I'm happy to keep it updated.

One thing I haven't yet done is to create a legend to explain what the colors mean. That will be done asap.

By the way, there shouldn't be a big red arrow there at all! Costa County is colored red, and California is colored yellow - under threat. I'm not 100% about the coloring at the moment and up for suggestions.

Thanks!

SJ

Hmm, I guess Contra Costa county is shaped like an arrow.:facepalm:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I can see this turning into something pretty darned useful. Great job so far.

A thought. By clicking on a state, you could then take them to a statewide page that lists all the pro or anti legislation that has occurred. Whether by city, county or state level. That would be a rather HUGE project, though.

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member

A thought. By clicking on a state, you could then take them to a statewide page that lists all the pro or anti legislation that has occurred. Whether by city, county or state level. That would be a rather HUGE project, though.

Statewide page is a very good idea - assuming it's necessary with multiple legislations taking place. Not too hard at all, but, yes, potentially a large amount of work. Still, we could give people editing rights to individual states...

TinyTimberGal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Wisconsin
picasaweb.google.com

And if this is doable you could include a 'Who to contact' list of legislators for each state. That info could be copied and pasted which would save time.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Statewide page is a very good idea - assuming it's necessary with multiple legislations taking place. Not too hard at all, but, yes, potentially a large amount of work. Still, we could give people editing rights to individual states...

I would imagine there are a lot of cities that pass under the radar as far as local ordinances are concerned. A few reasons for that. 1) Those that the ordinance affects aren't aware of this site. 2) Apathy from those it affects. 3) They're unaware of the ordinance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread