In your opinion, is Vaping considered Smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today makes 21 days without a cigarette!!! I had been a heavy smoker for 30 years and the sad part is that I’m only 39! I started out with the nicotine patch, then added the lozenges and neither of those was working for me so I ordered the Halo G6e-cig (please remember that I am a noob here!!!) and the G6 did the trick for me. I have recently upgraded to an eGo Twist with an iclear 16 clearomizer,what a difference!!!

Back to the question: my family and friends are asking me every day if I am still smoke free and my standard answer is that I have not smoked a cigarette but I am vaping and then I am asked if that is not the very same thing. Well I don’t have an answer to that because I just don’t know! So how would you answer a question like that??? Is vaping considered smoking? Any and all answers are greatly appreciated!!!

Funny story: I was vaping at a restaurant recently, when the manager came up to me and politely informed me that there was no smoking in the establishment.

I smiled and told him I understood, and if I saw anyone smoking I'd let him know!

He asked where the smoke was coming from then, and I explained to him that it was an e-cig, and emits a relatively odorless vapor. I also let him know I wouldn't vape anymore during my visit out of respect, but I felt it important to differentiate what i was doing from a smoker. Most people don't understand vaping, so as part of the vaping community, i feel it's important to educate people about what it's all about.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Today makes 21 days without a cigarette!!! I had been a heavy smoker for 30 years and the sad part is that I’m only 39! I started out with the nicotine patch, then added the lozenges and neither of those was working for me so I ordered the Halo G6e-cig (please remember that I am a noob here!!!) and the G6 did the trick for me. I have recently upgraded to an eGo Twist with an iclear 16 clearomizer,what a difference!!!

Back to the question: my family and friends are asking me every day if I am still smoke free and my standard answer is that I have not smoked a cigarette but I am vaping and then I am asked if that is not the very same thing. Well I don’t have an answer to that because I just don’t know! So how would you answer a question like that??? Is vaping considered smoking? Any and all answers are greatly appreciated!!!

I say it's not. There's no smoke eh? :)

Yeah, okay, we're still getting the nicotine but not some 4 freaking thousand other chemicals so it's definitely not the same thing...

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Nope. Otherwise it would be called smoking.

I get frustrated when too many people ask that kind of question though. Im not supposed to, i know, but society has become so averse to anything even remotely related to smoking that it is borderlining blind prejudice and just plain old ignorance. And i have a physical allergic reaction to ignorance.

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
It is not smoking. It is very different than smoking. I know this because my lungs tell me I stopped smoking. My nose now works. My taste buds are no longer on vacation. My car doesn't smell like smoke anymore(even to a non smoker). My bank acct can tell I stopped smoking and even thanked me by gaining a little weight. People can say, think or act however they want but I trust myself and my observations. I am no longer a smoker and neither are you.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
In my opinion, no. However, I treat it the same when in public. Vaping still isn't understood by most people and they could view it the same as smoking a cigarette. Better to be safe and use discretion.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

IMO this tends to re-enforces the myth and lies that vaping is the same as smoking and is dangerours to others. Many of us vape openly BUT respectfully just about everywhere. We also have educated ourselves on vaping and are prepared to educated the uninformed.

For those who also want to be postive advocates for vaping, join and support CASAA and you will find a wealth of information that will help you educate others.

Last edited:

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
No, you're not smoking. You are vaping. What is in your PV is no one's business. However, you might be labeled a nicotine user. Or, you might not have any nicotine in it to call yourself a nicotine user even. Many vape zero nic. In that case, you're still just a vaper. If anyone refers to me as a smoker, I set them straight real quick... no, I'm a vaper... not a dipper, chewer nor smoker and what's in the air from my vaping is in no way even similar to that of a smoker... its closer to what's around a dipper or chewer. I love it when I'm asked and happen to be vaping zero nic jolly rancher watermelon. Then I say... you suck on your candy or lollipop. I'll just vape it and save myself swallowing sugar and that oh so pretty red coloring.

Last edited:

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013

Without reading any of the other posts i'd say that smoking is considered the same as vaping. A vaper wouldn't say so though. A smoker wouldn't agree either. But, there are a lot more people that do neither. I think they are the ones that think vaping is the same as smoking. I know it's totally presumptuous to say that, but vapers get alienated in the same way smokers do. Well i say alienated, what word would best describe how smokers aren't allowed in indoor public spaces. People that don't even understand what vaping is, and that's almost everybody that doesn't vape, treat vapers as if they are doing something wrong. Before they realise what you are doing they've already judged you. Maybe they don't like the idea of vapour having nicotine in so use that as an excuse to say vaping is the same. Not everyone that is ingorant of the vaping world would behave like this, some would be intrigued and ask about it. Then there's the people that you might meet that tell you "what you are doing is not allowed in this establishment", before finding out what it is you actually are doing. So in some cases you may well be treated like a smoker accidentally. There have been instances where a vaper has got themselves into trouble by continuing to vape when told, by the establishment, to stop. There's the incident on the coach, which i saw on the news, where a vaper was using an ecig, put it in their bag, and the vapour was seen coming from the bag, and the bomb squad was called and the coach was cordened off for the rest of the day. I think most airlines don't allow vaping on their planes, and terminal operators don't allow it either i think. So when you consider any indoor public space that would have a smoking ban will also has a vaping ban too, then vapers get treated the same as smokers.

But the op asked is vaping considered smoking ?. Well an ecig vendor might say it is ;). Maybe from an organic point of view vaping, as far as nicotine is concerned, it's exactly the same. But from the people in your immediate environments point of view, not everyone responds the same way. So there is no universal answer. It's a schrodingers cat situation. Meaning it is and it isn't.

Edit : I know it seems as though i've contradicted myself but my comment is about the second person perspective.

Last edited:

TJ2Q

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2013
NE Ohio
I had a coworker tell me the other day that I didn't "really" quit smoking because I was using an e-cigarette instead. So I asked her if she walked to work instead of driving her car would she still say that she drove to work? She said no of course. I asked her why and she said because walking and driving are different. To which I responded, I am vaping not smoking. Yes they are different... sorry but I quit smoking and I am proud of it... go rain on a different parade.

You are definitely not smoking and don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise!

Congrats on making it 3 weeks! Keep vaping on!

sunsean

Apr 14, 2013
United States
I have had similar reactions from family/friends since I switched to vaping 2 months ago. Obviously, technically, it is NOT smoking. There is no combustion/fire/ash, etc. BUT I do find it sort of a 'gray area' in terms of answering the question "Have I quit smoking?" Technically, YES I have, but I haven't quit my habit of inhaling nicotine into my lungs throughout the day. Only by technicality have we quit smoking, whereas my habit of the 'smoking ritual' hasn't really changed much. The reason it was so easy to switch to vaping, as opposed to quitting with the patch, etc - is that in essence we are allowed to continue our habit under almost identical conditions that our smoking habit existed within. The way I phrase it to people in my life, is 'it allows me to continue my smoking habit while vastly reducing the health risks."

Of course, again, the straight answer is "No, vaping is not smoking" - but there are so many similarities between the 2 methods of nicotine delivery that I see why a gray area exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread