So is Vaping glycerin dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
It does seem possible that the coil momentarily heats up to temperatures higher than 280 degrees C. Although I know liquid turns to steam at a much lower temperature it may actually need a very high temperature to 'instantly' turn a liquid to steam. Perhaps it is something to worry about...... Only a scientist could really give us an answer to that.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I have just been looking up the Wikipidea article that this thread relates to and have only just realised that it is talking about glycer 'OL' turning into acrolyn at high temperatures .......we are using glycer 'INE'......and as far as I can tell it is completely different and certainly doesn't turn into acrolyn.

Unfortunately I have also now studied the ingredients list on my bottle of TW liquid and it does say that it is made of 20% glycer 'OL' ...so I guess it is something to worry about.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
my RN atomizer coils get red.... i think that is way more than 280C

Yes I've seen that, and I believe the Evo got even hotter. Anyway, its more than 280c yes.

Little chart I found

Code:
Color		Approximate	Temperature
		°F	°C	K
Faint Red	930	500	770
Blood Red	1075	580	855
Dark Cherry	1175	635	910
Medium Cherry	1275	690	965
Cherry		1375	745	1020
Bright Cherry	1450	790 	1060

Last edited:

parapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Greece
I have just been looking up the Wikipidea article that this thread relates to and have only just realised that it is talking about glycer 'OL' turning into acrolyn at high temperatures .......we are using glycer 'INE'......and as far as I can tell it is completely different and certainly doesn't turn into acrolyn.

Unfortunately I have also now studied the ingredients list on my bottle of TW liquid and it does say that it is made of 20% glycer 'OL' ...so I guess it is something to worry about.

glycerol and glycerine is the same thing with a different name.

Glycerol - Wikipedia, Glycerol .....second line.

Parallx

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2008
Pennsylvania
According to the wiki, it only produces this substance when heated over 280c with the presence of "of a dehydrating agent such as KHSO4"

I would only be worried if some other flavoring or the alcohol acted in the same fashion.

"When a fat is heated strongly in the presence of a dehydrating agent such as KHSO4, the glycerol portion of the molecule is dehydrated to form the unsaturated aldehyde, acrolein (CH2=CH-CHO), which has the peculiar odor of burnt grease."

No burning grease odor in my e-cigs!

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
  • Deleted by AngusATAT
  • Reason: Supplier posted against rules

Rahz

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
I've noticed that although VG generally produces less throat than PG, if the atomizer starts to get dry, the VG starts to have a really harsh taste to it that I don't like. This doesn't happen with PG. That's my two cents, though whether there's anything toxic about it or not I cannot say.

Edit: and it's also possible that the VG formula I'm using has some other substance causing the harshness when dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread