• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Attention USAF Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jShipp

Mar 15, 2013
Las Vegas, NV

Thedan1284

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2013
Travis AFB, CA
Vape ban, unlikely. Im stationed at Travis. Most people seem to be pretty chill with vaping. I have and will never attempt to do it inside however. Most people in my squadron are used to it. I (piddly a1c), and a ssgt vape in the pit. They can giggle about the looks of any device larger than a cigarette, but when they ask how it is, i simply explain in simplified terms and inform them how long i have gone without a smoke. That method seems to work for me at least. I prefer to use a simple ego at work though because i dont want to appear to be toking off a car muffler ..... Appearance (as well as work ethic) is everything in uniform.

Lopaka79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Maui
Hats off to our service men/women. With that said, damn I'm glad out of the service. Gawd damn pencil pushers and desk fliers trying to push their ideas of professionalism in my AO. Grab your .... (Full Battle Rattle), rock'n'roll in the box and lets see you complain about my dirty ... boots.

Nothing but love for the men/women in the service who get .... done ground zero.

Lopaka79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Maui
Vape ban, unlikely. Im stationed at Travis. Most people seem to be pretty chill with vaping. I have and will never attempt to do it inside however. Most people in my squadron are used to it. I (piddly a1c), and a ssgt vape in the pit. They can giggle about the looks of any device larger than a cigarette, but when they ask how it is, i simply explain in simplified terms and inform them how long i have gone without a smoke. That method seems to work for me at least. I prefer to use a simple ego at work though because i dont want to appear to be toking off a car muffler ..... Appearance (as well as work ethic) is everything in uniform.

Should design a tactical e-cig. Wrist mounted / wrist-watch. Or duct-tape Ego to a camel-pak tube.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
This article disgusted me .-. i wrote a very long response and got "contact a system admin " as an error lol. I AM a system admin. I have a feeling its set up that way so no one can flame the article.

I managed to get comment through!

An email has been sent to you to confirm your comment.
COMMENT RULES:

Comment on this news story by using the comment box below. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Content managers may edit them for grammar and length. While we encourage an open and back and forth dialog between our site visitors, content managers reserve the right to not publish comments that are considered personal attacks or insults. Messages that advertise a product, group or web site will not be posted.

We require a valid e-mail address to complete the process. However, we will not publish the e-mail address. If you are looking for a response to a question please use our feedback page to contact us. Click on the link on the footer of this page that says "Contact Us".

The opinions expressed in the following comments do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Air Force.

I clicked the link to confirm the email. It wasn't much of a comment since I wasn't going to write a book if it wasn't going to go through - mainly slammed the misleading information
Electronic cigarettes work by inserting a tobacco cartridge in a specialized cigarette shaped tube
and said that personal vaporisers should be encouraged, not lumped in with the tobacco smoking.

It did refuse to take the comment at first, saying I couldn't use any HTML in the comment. Huh, I didn't use HTML, just a couple of brackets. I took the brackets out and tried again and it worked! Write your comments, and send em in. You'll get the confirmation email. We'll see what happens and how many of the comments get OK'd and posted.

Good Luck!

(No I'm not a US citizen, and not currently serving. I left that merry-go-round about ten years ago. I just think if one county's service starts to treat PVs like cigarettes they will all start doing it, and I think all of our men and women deserve much better than that.)

SpEcTReCHieF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2010
Florida
Well I to am glad I retired. I do still work on the bases in my area. That article in question though is full of bad information. The liquid is made of Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin, and flavorings. Laughed my a z z off at the part that stated we could be vaping battery acid. And this Nitrosamine stuff they mentioned? Our e-cigs should be glowing green radioactive devices from the way they make it sound. LOL Maybe we should be using them as weapons instead of a "Safer alternative to Smoking". What a crock.....

Edit: I posted a response to the article also. You could definately tell the intent of the article was geared more as a scare tactic about use of nicotine than anything factual about e-cig/vaporizer use.

Last edited:

Denyse

Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Goodfellow AFB
I can almost guarantee that none of your responses will be posted. :( My husband is currently deployed but that article irritated me so much I linked it to him immediately and it also irritated him. He sat down and wrote a very long response which has been ignored for almost a month now. So I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that they have no intention of letting the inaccuracies in that article be brought to light. It's so very frustrating!

I was in the USAF for 26 years--worked in the hospital.

What is the "Health and Wellness Center" It is NOT the hospital and should never be confused as such. The 32.5 inch waist thing, ergo cycle testing and that sort of thing would never be condoned by an actual doctor--so you have the HAWC for the AF mouth piece. A doctor can over rule a base commander (and have) so the HAWC is there to be a simulation of something. For doctors, it's medicine first and the AF second (or third or forth or...) so not a reliable mouth piece.

Relax! It's not real...it is along the lines of those annoying CBT slides you click as fast as you can to get through--and learn nothing. An
X in the box... All part of the game I played for 26 years, you'll laugh looking back on it eventually.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
All part of the game I played for 26 years, you'll laugh looking back on it eventually.

Perhaps, but it's just this sort of tripe that gives vaping a bad name. If they can write such ill-informed nonsense, we should have the right of rebutal.

I went into a chemist to pick up a prescription and got talking to him about my PV. This is a man that smokers might talk to about NRT's. He didn't know *anything* about 'e-cigs' except that they contained "anti-freeze". And that's from a chemist with about 5 years of university education.

I'm not laughing.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
OK, trying again, just for giggles.

Clicked the Contact Us link. Selected recipient as HAWK. Added the following:

Name: Chris Robinson

email: fabricator4@xxxxxx.com

Subject: Article: Different product, same results:

Your message:
Hi, I have written comments about the gross innaccuracies in the article 'Different product, same results: Air Force aims to curtail electronic cigarette use' on the Nellis Air Force Base website.

I am fairly sure that you would have received other comments on this article too, because it is innacurate and mis-informed. Are you able to tell me why those comments are being ignored?

Would it be possible to post some of the comments to give a more balanced view of this subject?

Thanks,
Chris Robinson
ex Lbdr 131 DivLoc Bty, AAR retired

SpEcTReCHieF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2010
Florida
OK, trying again, just for giggles.

Clicked the Contact Us link. Selected recipient as HAWK. Added the following:

Probably would be better to select Public Affairs from the list since the SSgt in question that wrote the article is assigned to Public Affairs and the comment would go directly to them. (99th Public Affairs Office, Nellis AFB). Just a thought... Not that it will change anything or get a response though.

Wow...that article was probably the most misleading and worst-researched thing I've ever read. But remember: "if it makes sense and is smarter/safer, the military will surely not approve." I also tried to post a response (wrote more than the article itself) - keyword tried, as I could not get it through. Convenient coincidence, USAF; touché.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
Wow...that article was probably the most misleading and worst-researched thing I've ever read. But remember: "if it makes sense and is smarter/safer, the military will surely not approve." I also tried to post a response (wrote more than the article itself) - keyword tried, as I could not get it through. Convenient coincidence, USAF; touché.

If you try to send it direct to the relevant person responsible you won't get a response either. There are none so blind...

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread