I think i'm burning out Cartomizers too fast! Provari user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elited

Apr 20, 2013
California
Okay - So i'm using a provari mini because when i first started vaping the people at the shop said "THIS IS THE BEST" and shoved this device in my hands, fed me a bunch of, what i learned now, bull ..... information about wattages and ohms and voltages. Sold me a pack of "high resistance" cartomizers and sent me on my way...

So here i am constantly researching how cartomizers work and one day i come across a product website that states that LOW RESISTANCE CARTOMIZERS allow me to vape at higher voltages. Which is the complete opposite of what the shop said. they said HIGH resistance cartomizers allow me to vape high and it will withstand the voltages better. To me it seems like LOW RESISTANCE would make more sense to not burn out as quick. Either way i'm still confused about the Ohms offered by the vendors. There are 1.5ohms, 2.0 ohms, and then i heard about the 3.0 Ohms.

Now.. i also mentioned that i have a ProVari Mini - Which means that i have this interesting little feature that allows me to check my Atomizer. What exactly is that number telling me? I cant change it and as far as i could gather from the website it's just telling me what kind of cartomizer i'm using? So mine ALWAYS reads 2.9. And the shop tells me i'm using HIGH resistance cartomizers which leads me to believe that i have to vape low.

I'm using a flavor by "vaping Monkeys" called Kong berry burrrst. Its a strawberry/menthol mix with 18mg of nicotine.

If i vape any higher than 4.5 i get a burnt taste. If i vape at around 4.0 i get a sweeter taste but the throat hit just feels weaker...

I'm just kind of frustrated with the fact that i keep going through cartomizers and feeling like they are tasting burnt and i cant find a balance between good flavor and good throat hit without destroying a cartomizer - Rescue me please :)

Thanks in advance and sorry for the huge background story on it all... just though i should give as much info as possible.

kimochi-ii

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Qwiyomi
Is your carto dual coil? If it is, a 1.5 dual coil is like equivalent to 3.0.

Anyway I got this chart from another thread. Hope it can help you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 544

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Your ecig vendors were correct. For a Provari you want high resistance cartomizers (2.5 - 3.0 ohm resistance) to take full advantage of the widest range of voltages that the Provari can offer you. I'd appreciate a link to the online website that recommended using low resistance cartomizers for a Provari - they are wrong.

Provape recommends high resistance cartomizers for the Provari, as the Provape sponsored video here shows at the 3:00 minute mark. ProVape Electronic Cigarette Atomizers & Cartomizers Refill and Instructional Video - YouTube

There are other tutorial videos on the Provape website that you may find useful: The ProVape How-to guide to electronic cigarettes

The Safe Vaping Power Chart is a useful guideline to help determine which resistance (ohm rating) is best for the voltage range you are using. http://www.ecigadvanced.com/community/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/power.jpg

The author of this chart also wrote an article on finding your "sweet spot" using variable voltage: Guide to Safe Vaping - E-Cigarette Safety | Ecig Advanced Community Blog

The Provari has a built in atomizer meter which will display the resistance in ohms "under load" of a connected heating coil, which is the most accurate and useful reading.

Low resistance cartomizers (1.5 - 2.0 ohm) are generally meant to be used on fixed voltage devices. They will be limited to be used only at lower voltage setting (4.0 volts or lower), that is what they are designed for. Standard resistance (2.0 - 2.5 ohm) or high resistance (2.5 - 3.0 ohm) are meant to be used at higher voltages.

Last edited:

elited

Apr 20, 2013
California
Your ecig vendors were correct. For a Provari you want high resistance cartomizers (2.5 - 3.0 ohm resistance) to take full advantage of the widest range of voltages that the Provari can offer you. I'd appreciate a link to the online website that recommended using low resistance cartomizers for a Provari - they are wrong.

Provape recommends high resistance cartomizers for the Provari, as the Provape sponsored video here shows at the 3:00 minute mark. ProVape Electronic Cigarette Atomizers & Cartomizers Refill and Instructional Video - YouTube

There are tutorial videos on the Provape website that you may find useful: The ProVape How-to guide to electronic cigarettes

The Safe Vaping Power Chart is a useful guideline to help determine which resistance (ohm rating) is best for the voltage range you are using. http://www.ecigadvanced.com/community/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/power.jpg

The author of this chart also wrote an article on finding your "sweet spot" using variable voltage: Guide to Safe Vaping - E-Cigarette Safety | Ecig Advanced Community Blog

The info pertaining to the high resistance/low resistance wasn't aimed toward provari. But it was mentioned (maybe misread) at the joyetech website in their description of the low resistant cartomizers

RaymondK

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
GTA, Canada
www.ezigcan.com
Since you are saying it is 3.0 Ohms (2.9 to be exact), then it should be a HR single coil. Usually the firing using a Provari is about adding 2 to your resistance level. So you should be vaping about 4.9V on your Provari or a bit higher. If you used 4.0, it would be cool and you won't get too much vape and TH.

However you never mentioned if you have primed the carto prior to first time using it. Try another brand new carto but make sure it is primed. If not primed and set at a high voltage, then you would have burnt taste as the carto is dry. You will still get a burnt taste afterwards even when the carto is saturated with e-liquid.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
As others have posted it's so VERY, VERY IMPORTANT to make absolute sure your carto is first filled/ completely saturated. A proper first fill will ensure a quality vape and longevity of the cartomizer. Nine times out of ten premature failure of a cartos is because it wasn't fully saturated in the beginning resulting in a burnt taste and/ or the element/ coil burning out prematurely. After filling with drops put the condom cap over the battery end of the carto and "thermometer shake". Put a few more drops in and thermometer shake again. Drip a few more drops until the filler looks "slushie", blow out the excess into tissue and vape. When dry or when the vape weakens just drip some drops in.

Thats some pretty solid advice Vapoor :)

I had the same issue for a long time with my cartos and after a while I figured it out with help from awesome members of this forum as well. For myself, I decided to move to a SVT vision vivi nova and absolutely love it. I keep the cartos around so that I can sample other flavors without filling a tank.

I wish I knew about that chart so long ago, but I definitely agree with it.

elited

Apr 20, 2013
California
Since you are saying it is 3.0 Ohms (2.9 to be exact), then it should be a HR single coil. Usually the firing using a Provari is about adding 2 to your resistance level. So you should be vaping about 4.9V on your Provari or a bit higher. If you used 4.0, it would be cool and you won't get too much vape and TH.

However you never mentioned if you have primed the carto prior to first time using it. Try another brand new carto but make sure it is primed. If not primed and set at a high voltage, then you would have burnt taste as the carto is dry. You will still get a burnt taste afterwards even when the carto is saturated with e-liquid.

Is prepping different from priming? I always prep it (saturating the carto before sleeving it with a tank and filling the tank with juice) and i tend to take a few "dry hits" before vaping, and by dry hits i mean, sucking on it to fill it with juice before pressing the button and vaping it.

However; even though i do this - i still cant vape higher than 4.8v - a few others and i agree that it starts tasting like batteries or a burnt sensation at around that voltage. The carto itself is relatively fresh. only a few days (week at most). but if my memory serves... a few days... so i dont understand why its getting this taste. Could it be possible that its already burnt out?

elited

Apr 20, 2013
California
As others have posted it's so VERY, VERY IMPORTANT to make absolute sure your carto is first filled/ completely saturated. A proper first fill will ensure a quality vape and longevity of the cartomizer. Nine times out of ten premature failure of a cartos is because it wasn't fully saturated in the beginning resulting in a burnt taste and/ or the element/ coil burning out prematurely. After filling with drops put the condom cap over the battery end of the carto and "thermometer shake". Put a few more drops in and thermometer shake again. Drip a few more drops until the filler looks "slushie", blow out the excess into tissue and vape. When dry or when the vape weakens just drip some drops in.

I was taught to fill the condom cap to about 3/4th full- slide over the battery end - watch it fill up and place the other condom cap on the end and squeeze the two ends together. I led myself to believe that dropping liquid directly into the top of the carto might also lead to burning it out faster - just a hypothesis that seemed to yield the same result - burnt cartos - when tested. It's been touch and go experimenting.

When you say put a few drops in, do you mean in the top (open end) of the carto? usually when i do the condom caps it seems pretty full. i'm half amped to prep one as described right now :D

elited

Apr 20, 2013
California
I've had a few cartomizers that just start tasting burnt, regardless of how well filled with juice the carto is, well before they expected life expectancy. I think it just happens.

I experienced this far more often with dual coil cartomizers, less so often with single coil carts.

I refilled a new carto and i did it the way one of the other users suggested.. i was able to fill it with up to 3-4 times as much juice. That could be the reason why i was burning them out. Not properly prepped. Hopefully vaping at 4.5-4.8 doesn't burn this one out to... :)

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I was taught to fill the condom cap to about 3/4th full- slide over the battery end - watch it fill up and place the other condom cap on the end and squeeze the two ends together. I led myself to believe that dropping liquid directly into the top of the carto might also lead to burning it out faster - just a hypothesis that seemed to yield the same result - burnt cartos - when tested. It's been touch and go experimenting.

When you say put a few drops in, do you mean in the top (open end) of the carto? usually when i do the condom caps it seems pretty full. i'm half amped to prep one as described right now :D

I rarely use cartos+ tank these day but did use use the condom fill with success. There are so many different ways to fill a carto. If using the condom fill method when pushing the carto down into condom it must be done VERY, VERY slowly. There's also using a syringe- that way you know exactly how much juice is going into the carto and, more importantly, the juice is delivered to the bottom/ battery end of the carto first. I stopped using cartos because there were serious quality control issues. Am very happy with my present delivery so I see no reason to go back although I still occasionally enjoy a carto+ tank every so often BUT I have the old style cartos.

elited

Apr 20, 2013
California
I rarely use cartos+ tank these day but did use use the condom fill with success. There are so many different ways to fill a carto. If using the condom fill method when pushing the carto down into condom it must be done VERY, VERY slowly. There's also using a syringe- that way you know exactly how much juice is going into the carto and, more importantly, the juice is delivered to the bottom/ battery end of the carto first. I stopped using cartos because there were serious quality control issues. Am very happy with my present delivery so I see no reason to go back although I still occasionally enjoy a carto+ tank every so often BUT I have the old style cartos.

Are you using an atty? And the atty's can be used with clearomizers right?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Last edited:

elited

Apr 20, 2013
California
I only use attys for testing juice. I use Vision brand Vivi Novas and yes the heads (wick+ element/ coil) are replaceable. Realize some acidic juices will damage the plastic tank.
Here's a PB review:

And here's an in depth maintenance vid on the Vivi Nova

A PBusardo Tutorial - Vivi Nova Cleaning & Rebuilding - YouTube

I have zero experience with vivi nova.. I'd that a brand of cartomizer or tank or combination of the two? I'm still a little unsure if wicks are for attys or cartomizers :-/

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread