Battery Overcharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
So my first AW IMR 18650 2000mah I got bout 3 - 4 months ago. Used it as a backup for my eVic before my mech mod 2 months ago. Use it till its about 3.6 to 3.5 volts then slap it on my Intellicharger i2. I normally verify the charge and check it on my multimeter and like clockwork they come off at 4.2 volts. This morning I put my AW mentioned above and let it charge. Later that morning I look down and none of the charging lights are on. I pull it off and check the volts, and it said 4.8 volts, and was slightly warm. I let it cool, and rotated it into my mech mod to get it under 4.2 volts. Well tonight as I go to bed its still 4.4 volts, not warm, but leaving me concerned. Is this just an indicator that its time to retire this battery, or should I discharge it fully and attempt another charge?

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
After no response I checked the web and stumbled upon a couple sites claiming that overcharging a lithium ion battery is impossible. I could post 50 pictures with all the multimeter tests I have done, and still leave doubt that it is possible. As this is a friendly community take my word I have tested thoroughly with 2 multimeters at different settings and it is a true 4.8 volt charge. Some added info, I was charging in the left slot, and I had the green Panasonic 3400 mah charging in the right (was charging first, and a couple hours into the charge). I left the green battery in till I noticed the charging light for the AW left side was not lit. I have heard that charging different batteries does not matter with this charger, but I cant help to wonder if that didn't have something to do with it. The other thing I was thinking of was once about 2 months ago when I first got my mech mod I had a hard short with the AW battery. 4.2 volts in a matter of seconds brought it to 3.7 volts. It got very warm, and I let it cool before using again. I wonder, if this were any other than an AW battery, that it has not blown up yet. If I learn nothing, I get a confidence of the AW brand.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University is the ultimate source for li-ion and IMR information.

From Provape. Apparently there are some AW IMR batteries that can charge higher than normal with some chargers. These aren't 18650 AW's but the disclaimer illustrates the point. I'd contact the vendor you got the battery from as well as the one who sold you the charger.

AW IMR Batteries: Ecigarette Batteries, ECig Batteries, Battery 18500

These ecigarette batteries will not fit in the ProVape-1.

These ecigarette batteries are for the ProVari Variable Voltage device

These AW IMR cells have much lower internal resistance than regular LiIon 3.7V cells and they may end up with a higher ending voltage when charged in certain chargers ( especially older version WF-139 charger ). Please check the voltage of the battery right out of the charger to see if they are above 4.20V when fully charged with your charger. Overcharging above 4.25V may shorten life/cycles. Above 4.50V may even damage them. DO NOT use the charger if it is overcharging IMR cells.

KeithB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Overcharging a Lithium Ion battery is entirely possible and also unsafe. I believe the problem lies with your charger. One of the things that distinguishes a good quality charger is being able to properly terminate the charge cycle when the battery is charged. I would get a new charger and would be very leery about using that battery.

Xtar and Pila both make chargers that are very well spoken of. Xtar has some more affordable models and Pila is more expensive but widely thought to be one of the best chargers you can get.

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
I have charged 2 AW 18350s and a grey Panasonic IMR 18650 since then and they all came off at 4.2>. I charged them alone this time so I will be watching carefully charging in pairs in the future. This battery is what I am concerned about. Still not dropping under 4.4. Would be more ok if it was under 3.8 and I can just not use it, sounds stupid but it feels like a time bomb. For $15 a pop I would rather blow my mod and learn from it.

xpl0it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Miami, FL
So my first AW IMR 18650 2000mah I got bout 3 - 4 months ago. Used it as a backup for my eVic before my mech mod 2 months ago. Use it till its about 3.6 to 3.5 volts then slap it on my Intellicharger i2. I normally verify the charge and check it on my multimeter and like clockwork they come off at 4.2 volts. This morning I put my AW mentioned above and let it charge. Later that morning I look down and none of the charging lights are on. I pull it off and check the volts, and it said 4.8 volts, and was slightly warm. I let it cool, and rotated it into my mech mod to get it under 4.2 volts. Well tonight as I go to bed its still 4.4 volts, not warm, but leaving me concerned. Is this just an indicator that its time to retire this battery, or should I discharge it fully and attempt another charge?

I was having similar issues on my Intellicharger i2. I went ahead and purchased the newer model 'i4' and everything has been running smooth as silk. Just a thought if you do end up deciding to replace the charger. :)

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
I was having similar issues on my Intellicharger i2. I went ahead and purchased the newer model 'i4' and everything has been running smooth as silk. Just a thought if you do end up deciding to replace the charger. :)

Was going to go with an Xtar, just didn't want to deal with the battery spacers.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Maybe you can work a replacement with a trade-up from your vendor. Unlikely, since most hardware parts are only guaranteed for a short period from the vendor, but maybe there's a deal waiting from Nitecore. Their site doesn't talk about a warranty and that's a little strange.

http://www.nitecore.com/default.aspx

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
So it took 3 days to drain the battery to 3.54 volts. I spoke to the vendor about the issue and they were surprised at the results. As xpl0it already said they never had any issues with their own i4. They had cheap chargers that got 4.6 or 4.7 but never 4.8. Out of warranty of course so I sent a message to Nitecore. I got some chinaman response back who doesn't speaka engrish, and asked me if I tried to plug it in to the wall. I got a replacement AW IMR 18490 cause I don't have one that size. Ill post up after the overcharged battery charges up and goes through a discharge cycle.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Nanooks, this is a charger issue. Even if you have a battery at the end of it's life a good charger will not over-charge it. Heck, I have one of those single bay very cheap chargers that came with a kit that charges accurately to 4.2 volts. Yours over-charged once. Even if it does not happen again for a month, that's no guaranty it will never happen again. If it were me, I would replace that charger.

I also would not cycle the battery. Charging it to 4.8 volts once would make me too worried about it to use it again.

Tripster

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Overcharging a Lithium Ion battery is entirely possible and also unsafe. I believe the problem lies with your charger. One of the things that distinguishes a good quality charger is being able to properly terminate the charge cycle when the battery is charged. I would get a new charger and would be very leery about using that battery.

Xtar and Pila both make chargers that are very well spoken of. Xtar has some more affordable models and Pila is more expensive but widely thought to be one of the best chargers you can get.

My Pila charger which is almost 3 years old never charges batteries over 4.19V, never had a battery that read 4.20+ and my old AW Protected bats lasted almost 3 years, in and out of my Tactical Flashlight as well...had to dispose of 2 cause the tops were dented from the flashlight but other than that...love my Pila charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread