I CAN'T BELIEVE my doctor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
So here it is guys, I only have one pack of smokes (not stale this time, I figured my last pack should have a short but sweet parting and not end on a too bitter notice, sounds fair to me anyways) so anyways after this I'm done. I don't get paid til the 20th, so I can't go buy anymore. I wont have a choice, I might as well say my goodbyes to it.

I went to my doctor today talk to her originally for my bronchitis issue thats
actually going away... then she tells me I have allergies.... ummmm no I don't, I KNOW what allergies feel like and this wasn't that I'm actually feeling better.

But the REAL reason why I went to see her was to ask her about quitting methods. I told her mine was the electric cigarette but I would like to explore other options as well.

She told me "Your insurance wouldn't cover it"

....EXCUSE ME???

Ok if a doctor can prescribe me Sudefed when I can easily get it over the counter... WHY can't they prescribe me patches or gum???? This really blows my mind. For a doctor to say "sorry but no, I can't help you"

At that point my mind was boiling. Every doctor I've ever known would always ask me "how much do you smoke?" and give me a huge 15 min lecture on how I need to quit. The one time that I reach out for help I get a "I'm sorry"???? I was so embarrassed I rushed out of there like a kid hearing the ice cream truck! It takes a lot for me to ask for help and to be rejected like that was not cool in my book.

I don't have money, as it is I'm the only one working and ALL of my cash has to go to bills and rent and nothing more.

Is there any program in California that gives you free patches or gums? I thought I heard something like that somewhere on the forum.

tims

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
PA, USA
I thought the fed gov't got funds from big tobacco, to help people stop smoking, and to pay for kids heath care and what ever else they could dream up.

I would check into that you would have to check around though, try looking here....

Smokefree.gov

Also if you got insurance go back and ask your DR, to write you a script, for the meds that help people stop smoking or some nerve pills. If your DR will not do it, and things get really bad go to the ER.

Tell the DR in the ER you stop smoking, but need some thing to help you get through it, I'm sure they will give you a script for a week or 2. Your DR could be right that insurance will not cover nic gum or patch, but they should cover other meds to help you.

I have yet to see a DR not give the meds to help stop, you may well be better off with nerve pills, it would help you feel better and most of it is your thinking. Like I said though, if I got bad I would just go to the ER, they are more helpful with stuff like that then people think.

momswann

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Virginia, USA
I'm sorry you were treated poorly by your doc. However, PLEASE do not go to the ER for stop smoking aid, it taxes an already overburdened system and adds cost to our healthcare system. Find another doc if you are not happy. Don't go to the ER unless you have an emergency that requires immediate care. Our ERs are already burdened by the uninsured who use it as a primary care setting. It adds billions to our healthcare costs.

Thanks for listening.

tims

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
PA, USA
You can also call your plan and ask them what they cover, very few cover nic stuff but a few do cover it, so if you do go to a DR it's good to let them know what is covered.

While I agree the ER should be your last shot, our ER ask stuff to make sure, it's a emergency other wise they could bill you for it. And emergency is defined differently by different people and places, to me a emergency is when you need help right away, and you can't get it from a DR's office visit right away.

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
I'm sorry you were treated poorly by your doc. However, PLEASE do not go to the ER for stop smoking aid, it taxes an already overburdened system and adds cost to our healthcare system. Find another doc if you are not happy. Don't go to the ER unless you have an emergency that requires immediate care. Our ERs are already burdened by the uninsured who use it as a primary care setting. It adds billions to our healthcare costs.

Thanks for listening.

I agree. There's gotta be a free clinic in your area you could go to.

SNM

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
So here it is guys, I only have one pack of smokes (not stale this time, I figured my last pack should have a short but sweet parting and not end on a too bitter notice, sounds fair to me anyways) so anyways after this I'm done. I don't get paid til the 20th, so I can't go buy anymore. I wont have a choice, I might as well say my goodbyes to it.

I went to my doctor today talk to her originally for my bronchitis issue thats
actually going away... then she tells me I have allergies.... ummmm no I don't, I KNOW what allergies feel like and this wasn't that I'm actually feeling better.

But the REAL reason why I went to see her was to ask her about quitting methods. I told her mine was the electric cigarette but I would like to explore other options as well.

She told me "Your insurance wouldn't cover it"

....EXCUSE ME???

Ok if a doctor can prescribe me Sudefed when I can easily get it over the counter... WHY can't they prescribe me patches or gum???? This really blows my mind. For a doctor to say "sorry but no, I can't help you"

At that point my mind was boiling. Every doctor I've ever known would always ask me "how much do you smoke?" and give me a huge 15 min lecture on how I need to quit. The one time that I reach out for help I get a "I'm sorry"???? I was so embarrassed I rushed out of there like a kid hearing the ice cream truck! It takes a lot for me to ask for help and to be rejected like that was not cool in my book.

I don't have money, as it is I'm the only one working and ALL of my cash has to go to bills and rent and nothing more.

Is there any program in California that gives you free patches or gums? I thought I heard something like that somewhere on the forum.

That is true. My insurance wouldent cover Chantex I dont think any of them do..

discoqueen

Jan 1, 2010
Texas
My insurance covered Chantix - now granted I didn't get my usual $5 prescription, but I sure didn't pay full price for it. They also covered Wellbutrin and Nicotrol inhalers. Again with the inhalers, it wasn't a $5 script, but they did pay part.

Double check your benefits with your insurance. There's a phone number on your insurance card. See what they will cover. If they won't cover anything, then I agree, go with gum/patches/lozenges OTC.

mergryphon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
They should cover Chantix, Zyban or Wellbutrin though.

Most do not cover anything for smoking cessation, which is silly if they thought of their bottom line.

However, Zyban and Wellbutrin are the same thing. Most will not cover zyban, but if your doctor writes the wellbutrin prescription as an anti-depressant, they will.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
It just blows my mind how a doctor can give you Sudefed and you can get it over the counter, but when it comes to quit smoking products I get a "no your insurance wont cover it" I know its not her fault, BUT at least refer me to a place that CAN help me.

I'm not thrilled, but I know its not unheard of.

I enjoy vaping but I can't afford to get the liquid with the stronger mg I need (16mg doesn't cut it for me) to cut the edge off. If I could I would of just done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread