Heat Treatment/Torching to Color Stainless Steel and Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
Lately, I've been seeing a lot of mods that are colored using the heat treatment/torching method. The results I've seen have varied greatly from spotty and poorly done to uniform, professional grade finishes. Some mods have many colors in the finish (JM 22) and some are finished in one uniform color like blue. (Nemesis)

I would like to know if anyone has any insight on the processes for how this is done as I would like to do this myself one day. I have read things like a propane torch is best and that dipping in oil can affect color, but I can't confirm those things. I think how hot an area is treated can affect color as well. Any insights on how the coloring is controlled are welcome. I would also like to know if there is anyway the finish can be sealed or protected. I have read that sometimes the coloring can rub off very easily.

If you own a heat treated mod or have heat treated some things before your contribution is much appreciated.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
I believe Westamyx had some posts on the Reos Mods forum had some amazing success torching her SS atomizers (A7, Surface, ERA, Hornet), you may want to ask her. I had some horrible experiences with A7 -- I think I overheated it by a long shot, it actually glowed red. Looks fairly pretty now, but tastes like rust.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/379892-home-torched-a7-warning.html

This thread has pictures of her purple A7. She managed to match the colors to her mod.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Kind of. Westamyx mainly did the trial, and I mainly did the error. The error was either overheating the steel, or water quenching it afterwards. There's no visible rust, but I can't get the horrible taste out of it still, and cleaning it with a napkin after a day, the napkin comes up with slight rust stains.

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Temple, Texas, United States
I believe Westamyx had some posts on the Reos Mods forum had some amazing success torching her SS atomizers (A7, Surface, ERA, Hornet), you may want to ask her. I had some horrible experiences with A7 -- I think I overheated it by a long shot, it actually glowed red. Looks fairly pretty now, but tastes like rust.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/379892-home-torched-a7-warning.html

This thread has pictures of her purple A7. She managed to match the colors to her mod.

I posted this in the thread you linked, but figured I might as well post here too.
AGA-T2 top cap and copper drip tip torched. Looks kind steam punkish. I dig it.
That was my first attempt at coloring ss with flame too. Seems the AGA is made of some good quality stuff. The inside of the cap is a really vibrant brass color now.
IMG_1293.jpg

Last edited:

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
Very cool TrainingDummy, The AGA-T may be something I do this with in the future. It seems the brass color is one of the possible colors you can get with torching. How hot did you get the AGA(glowing?), and did you heat it all at once or do small areas one by one?

Here are some pics of mods I've found that have been torched. You can see how they vary greatly in how they turned out. This is why I want more info on the processes people use.

Chi-You with a decent torch job
576131_135291406651316_220633226_n.jpg

JM-16 with a spotty, poor torch job
551407_537193122999786_447376689_n.jpg

Nemesis (note how instead of all the colors showing up in throughout the finish, they somehow manage to be able to control it and make it one uniform color)
all_zpsf6136cd4.jpg

Last edited:

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
Interesting asdaq, I have heard of that method from a show about knife making. They would use the method to get a very pretty colored damascus grain pattern on knives. I will have to research it some more, but if it is possible with our tubes, we could get some interesting looks. It would definitely require a master craftsman though. This is pretty advanced stuff from what i gather.

Here is the knife I'm talking about. It's titanium, but I think its possible with SS as well. Imagine a PV like this:
BeggBodegaTimDam.jpg

Attachments

• BeggBodegaTimDam.jpg
    BeggBodegaTimDam.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Yes, from Blade Brothers, that is where I got the idea. They did add a tobacco pipe to the melt, so other materials should be possible. :D

As usual, discovery channel is thin on details, but I figured that pattern is somehow printed first, then 'etched' in the salt bath. It looks too computer graphic designed for just happening on it's own.

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
Hah, yeah that's the show. Yeah, it's hard to find info on the coloring processes for stuff like this. I know JM is especially secretive about how he does his heat treating for the JM-22 and JM-16 mods. It's like a trade secret or something. Each place has their own proprietary method. I think the Knife Brothers were selling that knife for like $6000, and that was low for what they sell. Puts the mod prices we have to deal with in perspective.

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
It appears the damascus mod has already been made! I'm talking about actual damascus not M3 mokum damascus which is a composite not metal. Here is a BBM mod in damascus and Pedro of caravela has considered using the material as well. It should be possible to make it different colors as well.

dam1.jpg

Reactions: anavidfan

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Not a fan of that look. Maybe if it were colored. The mod itself is nice looking though.
It appears the damascus mod has already been made! I'm talking about actual damascus not M3 mokum damascus which is a composite not metal. Here is a BBM mod in damascus and Pedro of caravela has considered using the material as well. It should be possible to make it different colors as well.

dam1.jpg

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
IMG_1302.jpg IMG_1303.jpg

The factory eVic coating reacts to the torch rather nicely. I got a little too aggressive though and bubbled it in a couple places. I think it looks nice though, and I jacked the threads up on the bottom of the tube so the battery cap doesnt screw in all the way, but it is still perfectly functional.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
View attachment 203456 View attachment 203457

The factory eVic coating reacts to the torch rather nicely. I got a little too aggressive though and bubbled it in a couple places. I think it looks nice though, and I jacked the threads up on the bottom of the tube so the battery cap doesnt screw in all the way, but it is still perfectly functional.

I think it came out pretty awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread