Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The flavors we use in vaping were actually designed for cooking, so yes...you can use cooking flavors. However, the vanilla extract we buy at the grocery store is usually not nearly as concentrated at the flavors we buy to use in our juices. Also, it may have quite a bit of alcohol in it....so it may really "water down" your juice. Certainly a little won't hurt anything....and may help make a bad juice better. Read the ingredients and you'll probably see a lot of alcohol. What you don't want to do is use a flavoring that has oil in it. For instance, pepperment oil is NOT to be used.

It's much better to go to a site that sells flavorings, and pick up something that might help several of your juices. For example, if you add Bavarian Cream to any fruity juice, it may help it. E Cig : Best Ejuice | Joye eGo & eGo-T | Boge Leo | Cartomizers | E-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes is a place I go to get many of my flavorings.

RobertNC

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2012
Athens
I would suggest getting a Vanilla flavor from the vape market instead of using regular cooking extract. A little Ethyl Maltol will also smooth out a flavor and add a little sweetness, as will caramel.

I also like a variety of creams - Bavarian Creme, Sweet Cream, Fresh Cream. But start off cautiously, I've found most Creme flavors become pungent, or hot or peppery, however you want to describe it if you use more than just a little.

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
Also look for some sweeteners. I use cotton candy from flavor art.
But there other sweeteners, and that can help. I have not tried things like smoothers yet.
I also agree with Bavarian cream as a helper

I needed to correct this, sorry for the misprint in earlier post.

Flavor Apprentice

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
You can remove the alcohol from vanilla extract by gently heating it to about 180deg.
The flavors we use in vaping were actually designed for cooking, so yes...you can use cooking flavors. However, the vanilla extract we buy at the grocery store is usually not nearly as concentrated at the flavors we buy to use in our juices. Also, it may have quite a bit of alcohol in it....so it may really "water down" your juice. Certainly a little won't hurt anything....and may help make a bad juice better. Read the ingredients and you'll probably see a lot of alcohol. What you don't want to do is use a flavoring that has oil in it. For instance, pepperment oil is NOT to be used.

It's much better to go to a site that sells flavorings, and pick up something that might help several of your juices. For example, if you add Bavarian Cream to any fruity juice, it may help it. E Cig : Best Ejuice | Joye eGo & eGo-T | Boge Leo | Cartomizers | E-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes is a place I go to get many of my flavorings.

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
You can remove the alcohol from vanilla extract by gently heating it to about 180deg.

Be careful of the alcohol vapor it's combustible.

You can do this, but you don't know what else is in there. If you make your own you know exactly what is in the Alcohol free Vanilla Extract it's easy to make.

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
How to Make Vanilla Extract

Hope this helps, and I will be doing this. But, 6 months,, what a wait.

Actually I will be doing this,,,

Non-Alcoholic Vanilla Extract Recipe - Food.com - 346443

Just remember, you will need to strain it very well. Like through several coffee filters and several times.
So I would probably triple or quadruple that recipe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005CJZVOE

Then save the beans and pat them dry as you can and put in some sugar for vanilla sugar.

Last edited:

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
This is a picture of (Extracted in Vodka) how Vanilla Extract looks in various stages.

vanilla-extract.jpg

The second picture is at around one month third picture is the color your looking for at around eight weeks or longer.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Thanks. I'm a newb and have been buying stuff based on reviews and whatnot but some of the juices I've bought are downright nasty. Don't wanna trash them if maybe just sweetening them up a bit could make them palletable.

Make small 5ml test batches and the flavors that taste nasty may actually taste much better when added in much smaller quantities. For instance if you use a tobacco flavor at 6% and it's to strong or bitter try reducing it to 2% and let it steep for lets say 2 weeks. It may then taste entirly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread