Why am I burning wicks so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldblooded357

Apr 28, 2011
CT
Ok so I have an a7 and a smok rda. I can build a coil just fine and they both are absolutely great for about 24 hours. At which point the wick under the coil is black and the taste goes from great to awful. I was super happy to finally have a cheap option for atty's but I dont care to rebuild every day. I'm using a provari and adjusting voltage depending on ohms. I drip juice on the wick before test fire. And run em pretty wet. I primarily drip fsusa wyatt earp and copper creek house. 50/50 and 60/40. At first I was using premade coil wick combos from myvaporstore. Then I started rolling 3mm silica and 32 kanthal since I thought the prerolled might be cheap fiberglass. Same issue either way. I dont get it. I drip these juices on be112's and can sometimes get over a month of use with no cleaning or anything. But the norm is probably 2-3 weeks. Anyway please help because I would love to be able to spend pennys for a rebuild rather then like $9 a pop for be112's.

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
My best guess is you're using cheap silica or even worse, cheap fiberglass as with your initial build. If you have high quality silica a dry burn is no concern and is actually a good way of cleaning it after a rinse.

Make sure you use a safety pin or something similar alongside the silica when wrapping the coil, pull the safety pin when done wrapping to allow the silica a little extra space to not choke it. Also try doubling up the silica at the coil like so:

---===---

Just leave 2 danglers in the drip well and trim off 2 of the extra legs close to the coil. This will give you more surface area and will hold more juice closer to the heat.

Also don't cram too much in there. Silica can choke easily, this was one of my big problems with an IGO-L. I've found less is more as long as I'm careful about not dumping drip well juice out the air hole.

Try this stuff, its basically the best quality silica readily available in the united states: I've had it going in a dripper for almost a month now and I just rinse/dry burn once every few days as far as maintinence goes.

Wick and Wire : Silica Wick

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Ok so I think I may be choking the wick. My coils are tight around it, and I was wrapping just the wick, no pin. The stuff I got seems to be high quality its 96% silica and won't burn using a torch. I got it on ebay.

Ok so as far as the dry burn goes, just rinse out the juice and then fire the provari? How long?

Til the water stops crackling and smoking, then some more til the coils turn red for about 5-10 seconds. Blow it off then burn red another 5-10sec. The burn itself should only take about a minute after you blot most of the water out with a paper towel.

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
Ok so just tried the rinse and dry burn. Worked like a charm! That's awesome! Every speck of black burnt off and the wick is nice and white again. Thanks so much! I've been getting great vapor from these attys and now I can get some decent life out of each build!

You're welcome. :) Works like a charm every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread