SS Mesh and Kanthal Wire Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
#500 mesh has 500 holes per linear inch...its fairly fine and wicks well with many pg to vg ratios

#400 mesh has 400 holes per linear inch......its good for thicker eliquids, like 50% VG or more

the gauge of the kanthal wire helps a user get the amount of ohms resistance they seek in a given area. Say you have 3/4" of an inch to wrap a coil in the center of your wick, right? a HIGHER gauge kanthal (32 or 34 ga) will allow you more wraps in this tiny area to get more resistance...its a thinner wire and more prone to popping or shorting.

A 28 or 30 gauge kanthal wire will not get you many wraps in a tiny work area, like 3/4" to an inch....the coils cannot touch, otherwise you have a short...so the resistance with 28 or 30 gauge in a 1" work area will be SUPER LOW...and only usuable with a mechanical mod...most vv mods cannot utilize 1.2 ohm resistance or lower...they will get an ERROR CODE

Last edited:

toolguy420

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Central Maine
Thanks, RB. So, it looks like I will need #500 mesh as I primarily use 70pg/30vg. I'm going to order the AGA-T2, which apparently comes with #400 mesh; should I just junk what it comes with and make my own #500 mesh wick? Also, what gauge Kanthal wire would be the "best" for this RBA on a VV/VW mod? I like a lot of vapor and a good TH.

.DoT.

Verified Member
Apr 23, 2013
Renton, Washington
SS Mesh comes in a lot of different sizes. Mainly 325, 400 and 500. In 304 and 316 materials.

As for wire there are quite a few types and sizes people use. Such as:

Kanthal A-1 (there is also B, C and D grades)
Kanthal D Ribbon
NiChrome-60 and 80
.999 Silver
Nickle (No Resistance)

Most people go with Kanthal A-1. It's really personal choice. Bigger wire allows more current to flow through thus
less resistance. The smaller the wire, the harder it is for electricity to flow through, thus more resistance. The higher
the number, the thinner the wire is.

If you're using a VV/VW Mod stick with 32g or higher. If not you'll error out and it won't fire. If your on a Mechanical
Mod you can go with lower resistance wire.

Patience is key. Believe me when I say it WILL take a while to get the hang of it. It's not an easy jump. Keep a tank full
with you while you practice, because your first couple wraps maybe even your first couple weeks will be trial and error.
It is worth it though and you will do a victory dance when you get your first perfect setup. I still fight with mine too.

Congratulations on the jump to RBA's and good luck. Lean on this site while you learn, we all do.

toolguy420

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Central Maine
Great info, muchly appreciated. I am a car & home audio/video, radio control, IT and general electronics nut from way back so Ohm's law, wire gauges, battery chemistry and the like are not at all foreign to me. I'm basically looking for info specific to building a good working and reliable RBA, and this site has not let me down! Thanks again...

jamesfarrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
If youre an electronics nut by nature youre gonna LOVE tinkering with this stuff. So much freedom, so many possibilities, so much room for innovation.

So .28g = less wraps for lower resistance?
higher the gauge = more wraps?

Trying to understand this. Wish there was a damn chart so I wouldn't have to keep asking this. Either that or a memory that worked :)

Chas_L

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2013
Buchanan Ga
Resistace is dtetetrmined by the combo of ga. and turns (length).

28 g is larger dia. wire than 30 ga .32 ga etc.. Larger da. equals less resistance for a given lenths (number of turns)of wire.

Coils make from 28 ga . and 32 ga. could be the same resistance but the 28 ga. one would have more turns ( more wire length).

Larger dia. wire such as 28 can handle more more current ( watts) without burning out.

Two coils having the same resistance ( Ohms.)operated at the same power level, volts X amps.would in theory produce the same vapor clod however the large dia. (28 g) would have more turns thus be longer thus heating a longer section of wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread