Why does Vaping cause Dehydration (and analogs don't)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritBear

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2013
Maricopa Co, Arizona, USA
the PG/VG attracts water to make condensation (clouds of vapor) but it has the effect of pulling water out of your cells as well. Just drink lots of water. you're in Arizona you know how important water is. :)

Yep, and you in TX can also relate ;)

I've noticed that vaping doesn't seem to make my mouth dry, but possibly the flavor activates the salivary glands (best guess).

I just stumbled upon an article from a retailer (so perhaps not the most unbiased source) with the following info:

"The most common noted side effect of inhalation of e-liquid containing propylene glycol is a dry mouth, sore throat, and increased thirst. These symptoms usually last just a few days to a week as the body gets used to the propylene glycol. These symptoms can be elevated by drinking more water and liquids then usual for the first few weeks of using your e-cigarette."

Hope this helps.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
At least, I guess cigarettes don't, as I don't recall ever having a dehydration issue.

I did. But I'm prone to dehydration. I actually can't tell if vaping does more than smoking did or not. I was already used to having water around to sip and keep hydrated...

jfalbanese

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Westport, WA
look at the pictures of yourself when you were a smoker, and tell me you didn't suffer from dehydration. i can see the reduced wrinkles in the faces of all my fellow vapers at work. (myself included.)not just the stinkers. coffee, tea, and other caffeine drinks are major dehydrators.thats why after guzzling a full can of coke you can still feel thirsty. it's designed that way to keep you coming back for more. PG/VG are "humectant's" not sure of spelling.don't Google that on an empty stomach.it attaches itself to mucous membranes in your mouth, throat, and sinus cavity. and draws out the moisture. PG is also used as a germicidal in industrial applications. as germs generally live in the moisture in the air. so that is why you must replace the liquid loss from vaping. dehydration will kill you way faster than cancer.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Not trying to 'start' anything but I suggest that wrinkles caused by smoking are more to do with the direct heat and poisonous chemicals found in cigarette smoke than dehydration. Someone who has been smoking for 20 years cannot simply get rid of the wrinkles by re-hydrating.
That said, drinking a lot of water when vaping is widely regarded as common sense and a quick search of research papers of the effects of inhaling PG show that dehydration is a major concern.

The first week I used an ejuice with PG/VG can't remember ratio... thinking it was like 70/30 and I was thirsty all the time. The second week I wanted to try Organice ejuice with 100% VG. Now I am on my second week of vaping and the feeling of dehydration is gone. I have read that its the PG that causes the need to drink a lot of water. I am beginning to think the same thing. Now I am waiting on a order for the VG juice and will have to vape the PG/VG juice I still have. I will know this coming week if my thirst comes back again. I am hooked on the organice VG as there are no artificial flavorings and don't get the aftertaste.

Interestingly enough, in addition to feeling a bit on the dry side after taking a puff, I find I cough when I inhale from my vaper-thingy. I don't remember coughing upon inhale from an analog since the very early days when I started smoking. Perhaps, it is just a phase, until you get used to the contents and changes? Does the dehydration effect remain well after you are used to using e-cigs?

gjanderson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX, USA
Interestingly enough, in addition to feeling a bit on the dry side after taking a puff, I find I cough when I inhale from my vaper-thingy. I don't remember coughing upon inhale from an analog since the very early days when I started smoking. Perhaps, it is just a phase, until you get used to the contents and changes? Does the dehydration effect remain well after you are used to using e-cigs?

hey and welcome to the forum. The dehydration can last as long as you are vaping. Just drink water or juice. The cough can be a sign that your body is getting used to the ecigs or if with mucus is getting rid of garbage from the broncial tubes. Another is you may want to try a different technique. Some people are able to inhale like a normal cig but us others need to use it like pipe or cigar smoking. somebody will give you a link to read but there are a few youtube videos also. just inhale slowly into mouth and not directly into lungs, hold it, then you can ekhale a little and finally inhale into lungs before exhale. some dont inhale any to the lungs and some like me inhale into lungs with nose . thathelps a lot with the cough. I noticed with higher PG that the cough was there for about a week and also with PG that I needed to do the technique change and the cough went away. I only noticed the change when I began using a clearomizer or anthing bur the hirrible cartomuzers.

vape to live, live to cape - vape on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread