Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshistr

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
Cloves are usually not smoked by themselves but rather with tobacco and is used as a flavoring spice. Indonesia is famous for their clove cigarettes, marked under the name Djarum Special, Black, etc. The clove cigarettes also come with eugenol which makes your throat numb and allows you to inhale the smoke deeply without coughing up as much. The clove spice makes up about 30% of the cigarette with tobacco and other flavorings making up the rest. Cloves when burned also make you more relaxed and when smoked with tobacco makes you content and relaxed at the same time. Almost feels like just before taking an afternoon nap the first time you smoke them. Clove ejuice is made with artificial clove flavor, so it only has the taste but not the effects of cloves. I have smoked cloves for the past year but had to quit because just smoking them for a few months got me to cough up blood and I could hardly breathe, now I just use my regular Marlboro 100s which are much easier on the lungs.
Becareful though at first clove cigarettes might seem like a great idea and not even smell too bad and last longer but after a few they leave a nasty taste in your mouth and on your clothes not to mention the damage it does to your lungs...no wonder why the guy who invented them died only a few years after smoking them.

:)

I primarily smoked Djarum special and black for 8 years and never coughed up blood. I was always warned by people that they'd make me do that but it never happened. I actually found myself coughing less with clove cigarettes than regular cigarettes (usually Camel wides). Not to mention my wife loved the way they smell and was actually willing to let me smoke them even after she quit.

I really look forward to enjoying some of the retail clove liquids. I've found a few suppliers, and I hope I can find one stong enough for my tastes. Just incase somebody is looking for more suppliers I blelieve Janty sells some. E-smokeytreats also sells some made by Johnson Creek, but I'm too broke right now to try em.:(

UncleMidriff

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
I've tried Janty's clove liquid and Puresmoker's. So far, I like Janty's better. The first few bottles of clove liquid I got from Puresmoker were alright, but the last bottle I got didn't taste much like cloves at all...it was a higher nicotine strength than I am used to though, so maybe that affected the taste for some reason.

schu

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2009
reno, nv usa
Hi everyone, first post.
just got my first e-cig and am interested in mixing my own flavors. for a clove cig I was thinking of trying some eugenol in the mix. Loranns has it for sale. i was wondering what you all think, would it be safe for the atomizer? wikipedia says of it "It is a clear to pale yellow oily liquid extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, and bay leaf." and "It is a key ingredient in Indonesian kretek (clove) cigarettes." also wondering about the Ruyan e-cig, I read on wikipedia that they use an ultrasonic method of vaporising the e liquid, if thats true wouldn't that eliminate the worry about burning out atomizers?

Monie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Hi everyone, first post.
just got my first e-cig and am interested in mixing my own flavors. for a clove cig I was thinking of trying some eugenol in the mix. Loranns has it for sale. i was wondering what you all think, would it be safe for the atomizer? wikipedia says of it "It is a clear to pale yellow oily liquid extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, and bay leaf." and "It is a key ingredient in Indonesian kretek (clove) cigarettes." also wondering about the Ruyan e-cig, I read on wikipedia that they use an ultrasonic method of vaporising the e liquid, if thats true wouldn't that eliminate the worry about burning out atomizers?

Hi schu, there is a DYI e-liquid forum here that may be able to help you out with some info. I too new to post links yet, but go to the home pg on this site, then the e-cigerette forum and then you will see the DYI e-liquid under Tips and Tricks.

yoshistr

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
I would highly recommend using caution with Eugenol, it is used to numb the throat and the gag reflex muscles so if you use too much it will fully numb the muscles and if you are coughing/choking you won't be able to cough or gag to breathe. I would think that Eugenol would be okay to use with an atomizer in low concentrations, the main problems you might face is residue left when the oil is ignited but you can clean the atomizer carefully to get rid of it. Depending on how often you use the ecig it would be safer to use low concentrations of Eugenol. From my calculation:
40% cloves in a clove cigarette * 10% Eugenol in cloves = 4% Concentration
I would go anywhere from 1% to 5% Eugenol mixed in with your eLiquid but these are just estimates and may still be harmful.
If you still want to experiment I would recommend having someone nearby at all times who knows CPR and to not overuse it because Eugenol can be harmful. (I've coughed up blood from smoking too many clove cigarettes.)

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
looking at these drops, they contain Antipyrine and benzocaine(two local anesthetics) in a glycerine base that might provide that cool tingling numbness that you get with a clove. What do you think? safer than eugenol?

Ear drops????? Are you nuts?

Schu, don't forget that this stuff is inhaled into your lungs. Do you have any idea at all what effect this stuff might have? We are all taking chances even with the juices we buy now....but research at least seems to indicate PG and flavorings to be safe. All this other stuff you're talking about....maybe you should try finding out at least if there's any health concerns with inhaling it first. Also, as someone else mentioned, oils can be damaging to the atomizers.

Ear drops....now I've heard everything....lol

Lu

TxTrouble

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Near Dallas, Texas
...Loranns has it for sale. i was wondering what you all think, would it be safe for the atomizer? wikipedia says of it "It is a clear to pale yellow oily liquid extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, and bay leaf." and "It is a key ingredient in Indonesian kretek (clove) cigarettes."

Schu
When making liquid make sure you flavoring is water based and NOT oil based. From my understanding oil based is not good for the atomizer. It doesnt mix as well with the PG either. Its been awhile but I got my clove flavoring from Bicfords.
D

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Lakewood,California - u$a
looking at these drops, they contain Antipyrine and benzocaine(two local anesthetics) in a glycerine base that might provide that cool tingling numbness that you get with a clove. What do you think? safer than eugenol?
Now every time I yawn I can hear the ocean in my throat!
J/K but on a serious note...Many years ago I had a real problem with clove cigarettes, I never coughed up blood ,but I constantly coughed (much more than with reg Cigarettes) It seamed as though I always had a sore throat and the only thing that made it feel better was another clove smoke. I haven't smoked them in probably close to 20 years...But Dayum,I still miss that taste!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread