FDA to send Section 918 report to Congress on Monday (will include e-cigs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellerine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Florida
I've tried my best to follow all of this stuff with my limited spare time and energy. I joined CASAA and donated and have sent hundreds of emails and added my own comments to the big petition. That said, I am not as fully informed as I'd like to be or as others seem to be. Could somebody clear a few things up for me?

1. All the FDA stuff saying, because we don't know about the ingredients and they could be harmful, they shouldn't be able to sold until, at their own expense, they are proven safe. So, if the ingredients in nic juice are all already FDA approved, like PG, VG and TPA flavorings - how does this apply?

2. In addition to trying to be heard as our own party, should/could we be spending more time and effort trying to get big organizations like the ACA to be a voice for us? Maybe even the AMA? I know 3 doctors I've seen have all expressed how thrilled they were I was vaping and not smoking.

I may be way off and missing crucial stuff here, so please don't bash me, it's why I'm asking.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
These are the short versions of answers to your questions...

1. All the FDA stuff saying, because we don't know about the ingredients and they could be harmful, they shouldn't be able to sold until, at their own expense, they are proven safe. So, if the ingredients in nic juice are all already FDA approved, like PG, VG and TPA flavorings - how does this apply?
Those things are approved for oral ingestion, not inhalation.
The way your stomach handles things is quite different from how your lungs handle things.

Having said that, I am pretty sure the FDA knows that the chances that inhaling these substances might be harmful is fairly low.
The things they are doing is far more about money than it is about health.

2. In addition to trying to be heard as our own party, should/could we be spending more time and effort trying to get big organizations like the ACA to be a voice for us? Maybe even the AMA? I know 3 doctors I've seen have all expressed how thrilled they were I was vaping and not smoking.
The American Cancer Society, American Lung Association, American Heart Association, and American Medical Association all actively oppose electronic cigarettes.
The reason for this is because they get huge amounts of money from Big Pharma, and Big Pharma wants electronic cigarettes eliminated.

Bellerine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Florida
These are the short versions of answers to your questions...

Those things are approved for oral ingestion, not inhalation.
The way your stomach handles things is quite different from how your lungs handle things.

Having said that, I am pretty sure the FDA knows that the chances that inhaling these substances might be harmful is fairly low.
The things they are doing is far more about money than it is about health.

The American Cancer Society, American Lung Association, American Heart Association, and American Medical Association all actively oppose electronic cigarettes.
The reason for this is because they get huge amounts of money from Big Pharma, and Big Pharma wants electronic cigarettes eliminated.

Aren't PG/VG used in asthma inhalers and TPA in perfume all inhaled?

Also, friggin shame on those organizations!!! Seriously, that is pure evil!

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
In the long run of a free society, The people will get the government they deserve. Not the government they want.

Complacency and the "I have nothing to hide" and "It's doesn't affect me" and "It's not in my backyard so i don't care"
or the, "I don't care who sells them, as long as they do"....

These are the things that create the issues we are experiencing today.
Not just with e-cigs, but a lot of things.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I noticed that 33 public comments (of 67 submitted) were posted on April 12 on FDA's docket for Smokeless Tobacco Product Warnings
Regulations.gov
and that public comment period closed April 1.

And yet, the FDA's docket for Section 918 comments at
Regulations.gov
closed back in January, and still has just 78 of (of 5,336 submitted comments) posted.

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I noticed that 33 public comments (of 67 submitted) were posted on April 12 on FDA's docket for Smokeless Tobacco Product Warnings
Regulations.gov
and that public comment period closed April 1.

And yet, the FDA's docket for Section 918 comments at
Regulations.gov
closed back in January, and still has just 78 of (of 5,336 submitted comments) posted.
Kind of gives ya an insight into their agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread