super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
This is so significant, it requires a thread of its own

The relationship of the air hole to the coil significantly affects performance on the RM2. Properly adjusted, you will have a smooth and flavorful vape with copious clouds of warm vapor. Improperly adjusted, and your vape is going to be so-so to downright anemic - It doesn't matter what kind of coil and wick setup your running. This is nothing new, It's fairly common knowledge to most folks using rba's, but I ignored it on my RM2s until now. The reason being, that the cap / top of this rba screws on. Most of us (me included) just screw it on and assume that the airhole is aligned with the coil. Not the case my friend. Between my two RM2s, one was very close to the coil, one was over by the tail of the wick (talk about a weak vape). But theres good news. Below, There is a simple, detailed method to tune yours so it'll vape at its maximum potential - like the rockstar it is.

Step 1: Screw the atomizer on the REO without a drip tip. Look down thru the top. See the coil? ok, You need the coil to be pointing UP when In your normal firing / hitting position ( when you bring it up to your mouth). If its not, turn it so it is. If you cant align it without excessive force (or its too loose) use the oring that came with the RBA by unscrewing the base and placing it in the drip well to achieve this. If that oring is not thick enough, I use one from a grand bottle cap. I use an oring with all RBA's to prevent over tightening to get proper alignment. Worst case scenario, if there's no way to turn it so its pointing up when in your normal firing position, adapt to a new firing position :)

Step 2: Now look at the cap. Is the airhole DIRECTLY in front of the coil or within a few degrees of it? If not, use an oring (the size that comes with the RBA) between the cap and the base to achieve this. I had to use 2 in this location.

gerubuny.jpg

Carefull, now that beast is gonna RIP YOUR LUNGS OUT :)

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
They say a picture is worth a thousand words....and it's true. Great picture showing the orientation (what you mean by "up") and the o-ring between the cap and the base. You mentioned that the o-ring that fits in the bottle cap can be used for this, but I can't seem to stretch that o-ring enough to get it around the base of the atty. Hmmmmm.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
They say a picture is worth a thousand words....and it's true. Great picture showing the orientation (what you mean by "up") and the o-ring between the cap and the base. You mentioned that the o-ring that fits in the bottle cap can be used for this, but I can't seem to stretch that o-ring enough to get it around the base of the atty. Hmmmmm.

Hey Jan! My bad, the Orings from the RM2 work in the cap to base application. The Orings from a REO grand bottle cap work in the base to juice well application (if you can't achieve alignment with an RM2 oring). I just edited my OP to clarify.

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Hey Jan! My bad, the Orings from the RM2 work in the cap to base application. The Orings from a REO grand bottle cap work in the base to juice well application (if you can't achieve alignment with an RM2 oring). I just edited my OP to clarify.
Okay, got it. Thanks, Russ. That helps.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
For some of us, pointing the coil and the air hole exactly opposite of the fire button is not possible :( Mine is about 60 degrees before where it should be. If I turn it back 300 degrees to be in the right position, the atomizer doesn't make a connection with the mod. Still works wonderfully though, just need to watch fingers for hot steam coming out of the hole occasionally.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
For some of us, pointing the coil and the air hole exactly opposite of the fire button is not possible :( Mine is about 60 degrees before where it should be. If I turn it back 300 degrees to be in the right position, the atomizer doesn't make a connection with the mod. Still works wonderfully though, just need to watch fingers for hot steam coming out of the hole occasionally.

In this case, I would adjust my hitting style so the airhole pointed up. In other words, it's not important for the fire button to point down but it is important for your coil / airhole to point up when you hit. :)

the only placement you should worry about is the air hole on the top so juice dont leak out when you tip it to take a hit

I used to think that too... Until I aligned the airhole with the coil and realized the major improvement :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
the o-rings on the RM2 are unnecessary if you put the coil over the squonk hole side Rob already placed the airhole in the right place

Those two Orings on mine would beg to differ my man :)

My airhole was about 90 degrees to the left of the coil (almost directly in front of the post opposite the squonk hole :) )

Reactions: Alawot

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
All of my four RM2's happily line up the air hole right between the posts, and on the same side as the juice hole. The good news is that if I build the coil over the juice hole then the air hole is always in the right spot (give or take a few degrees). The bad news is that two of them will not align so that the air holes face 'up' when I vape. Alone, or with either of two different sized o-rings, they just will not get to that sweet spot. As someone else mentioned earlier, the 510 isn't long enough to make contact and line up where I want it. Its no big deal, just that I have to remember which two to vape 'upside down'.

This is the only real drawback I see in the RM2 when compared to an ERA or Hornet. With either of the latter two, I could build the coil on the side I wanted facing up and pop the top on to match.

That being said, I have zero regrets selling my ERA's... And my Chalice has been in a drawer for two weeks now. I'm keeping that one around until I see what Rob's releasing next. Gotta have something to sell to fund the Reo-Hybrid.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas

Ditto this. I vape with fire button away from me using index finger. On a couple of my RM2s it puts the hole on bottom, towards my body, when I vape. This is only ocassionally an extremely tiny issue and that is when I ocassionally over squonk. I just turn the REO so that hole is on side until I can take a few vapes to vape up excess. It is my opinion that mastering not over squonking will illevate issues with cap hole being "downwards."

Last weekend someone said to me to hold the REO so hole was up instead of down. (Don't rember who but I was sampling their juice in their REO.) It, like mine, vaped perfectly holding REO as I do, and with hole on downside. So for me and my vaping technique the hole can face any direction, as long as hole is near coil, and not flooded if facing down.

BTW... All five of my RM2s have hole drilled right over where coil should be. If I ever get one that has hole drilled in wrong place I would consider doing an exchange with REO. The o-ring fix is brilliant but I would prefer to not break up the clean lines.

Feisty Alice

BTW...... The atty attachments vary on REOs in terms of how high or low the center posts sit. If you have enough REOs to compare how RM2s sit in them, especially with old to new REOs, it is very obvious when you move same cap hole RBA or RM2 between REOs.

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Older Coppervein and much older Silver Anodized Mini 2.0s.

Depending on individual REOs the cap holes can vary considerably where they end up when screwed on atty fitting. These are two brass and milled down to fit my Mini 1.0s and 2.0s. I vape with button "top" with my index finger. On some REOs the hole may be straight "down." No problems for me.

Feisty Alice

2013-07-02213613-1.png

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Can someone capture an image of the air hole in relation to the posts/coil inside where everything should be? PLEASE and THANK YOU!! :)

Sennie, coil should be roughly centered between the posts and the airhole should be roughly centered on the coil. So if you poked a pin straight thru (don't actually do it) you would be hitting your coil.

Reactions: Alawot

Marvin & Sennie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
ok, then that is right... it's the air hole sitting on top that I have trouble with.
Sennie, coil should be roughly centered between the posts and the airhole should be roughly centered on the coil. So if you poked a pin straight thru (don't actually do it) you would be hitting your coil.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Doesnt rob drill the hole so that everything lines up as it should when the cap is screwed all the way down?

On my first 2, one was perfect, the other was about 90 degrees off, over by the post. On the next 4 I purchased, they were all perfect :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread