using a 2 ohm, dual coil clearomizer: what's the best wattage / voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubba

May 4, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
It's also dependent on the individual clearo as well. The resistence ratings on these aren't exact. I've seen some disclaimers that say within ±.2Ω. What I do is start from an ~ spot and try to dial it in as the clearo breaks in.

For me personally, I like a warm vape with a medium-to-strong TH, so I try to push my power output as high as possible without getting dry hits on the backend of my draws. You would need to find what you want out of your vape and adjust your output (and juice PG/VG ratios) accordingly.

For a 2.0 DC, with the 60/40 juices I've been using, I'd start at 9.5 watts (~4.3V) and bump it up down until I can make the full draw with no dryness. Once it's broke in and the wicks are working good, I can generally bump an extra 0.5-1.0 Watts on one. About 10.5 (~4.6v) is the most I've been able to push a wicked clearo and have it keep up. Most of the time they respond better in the 8.5-9.5w range, especially the dual coils. As an example, right now I'm using a DC iClear 30 2.0Ω set to 8.5W. I've tried moving it up, but it just won't hit without dumping dry flavorless vape on the backend. I'm really just now starting to figure out a lot of this stuff though, so take all that with a teaspoon of salt.

mayno71

Mar 17, 2013
pasadena, ca
It's also dependent on the individual clearo as well. The resistence ratings on these aren't exact. I've seen some disclaimers that say within ±.2Ω. What I do is start from an ~ spot and try to dial it in as the clearo breaks in.

For me personally, I like a warm vape with a medium-to-strong TH, so I try to push my power output as high as possible without getting dry hits on the backend of my draws. You would need to find what you want out of your vape and adjust your output (and juice PG/VG ratios) accordingly.

For a 2.0 DC, with the 60/40 juices I've been using, I'd start at 9.5 watts (~4.3V) and bump it up down until I can make the full draw with no dryness. Once it's broke in and the wicks are working good, I can generally bump an extra 0.5-1.0 Watts on one. About 10.5 (~4.6v) is the most I've been able to push a wicked clearo and have it keep up. Most of the time they respond better in the 8.5-9.5w range, especially the dual coils. As an example, right now I'm using a DC iClear 30 2.0Ω set to 8.5W. I've tried moving it up, but it just won't hit without dumping dry flavorless vape on the backend. I'm really just now starting to figure out a lot of this stuff though, so take all that with a teaspoon of salt.

i'm using the clearo iClear 30 as well. so what's your voltage then if you're at 8.5 wattage. I know mine is exactly at 2 ohms cause my PV tells me the precise resistance. thanks for the tips, man!

Last edited:

jdubba

May 4, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
i'm using the clearo iClear 30 as well. so what's your voltage then if you're at 8.5 wattage. I know mine is exactly at 2 ohms cause my PV tells me the precise resistance. thanks for the tips, man!

NP. That works to ~4.1V. I actually had to bring the iClear down to 7.5 (~3.8v) when I first started using it. I had to break it in for an hour or so before I could get it up to 8.5. I've been running it at that power for a couple of days and just tried to push it up again with no luck. It started getting dry. Looks like 8.5 is the best I'm going to get out of it with this juice.

What are your thoughts so far on the iClear?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Its a 2 ohm DUAL COIL.

That means 2 four ohm coils.

Let's say for one 4 ohm coil...you want lots of volts...like 5.5 to 6 volts for 8 or so watts. Now add a 2nd coil in the mix. The voltage stays the same, but the amp requirement doubles.

So 2 ohms at 5.5 volts .....2.75 amps and a total of 15.125 watts.

Since you didn't say what device, but said it had ohm readout, you MAY be able to exceed the common 2.5 amp limit. If your device is amp limited, the voltage will suffer.

mayno71

Mar 17, 2013
pasadena, ca
@jdubba: forgot to tell u how I felt about the iclear 30's...well, thus far, I like it...only problems I had was one of them showed .1 ohms so I had to adjust the bottom tip of the unit to be more flush (put it on a hard surface and pushed down on it) which eventually brought it closer to the 2 ohm setting...I also had to tighten the coil a bit more cause it wasn't tightened all the way. doing those 2 things brought it w/in specs. the other one was fine and read 2 ohms. I consider these things to be simple production oversights, but thankfully they can be easily resolved. I do like the capacity and the ease of cleaning of it. just need to get the voltage and wattage right for my pleasure. other than that, I like it; however, I have nothing to compare it too since this is my first clearomizer I've used...it came w/ my unit (iTaste SVD).

@attypops: you might want to try what I did to bring it down to specs. the thing is though you have the opposite problem of what I had. mine read way too low and yours is too high...so be careful.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
need help guys...can't seem to find the right setting to produce the best flavor and vapor combination...I've tried using some of the those wattage/voltage charts but they haven't worked well. currently, i'm set at 3.6v and 6.5 watts and it works ok, but I've tried so many settings. any recommendations?

You can't use a chart with dual coils. I use 1.5 ohm dual coil cartos and set my wattage to between 11.5 - 12 watts. Nice warm vapor, no burning and good throat hit. With 2.0 ohm DC's I would start at 12 watts and adjust from there.

Now that is assuming you are using an APV that can handle dual coils, like a Vamo, Darwin, Provari, etc. Forget using any of the eGo type PV's, however, because of the weak amp switch they use.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
..............snip........
@attypops: you might want to try what I did to bring it down to specs. the thing is though you have the opposite problem of what I had. mine read way too low and yours is too high...so be careful.

1) I have no idea what you are talking about. I did an ohm's law calc using your example.
2) You still haven't stated the amp limit of your vv device.
3) Everyone else: depends on the device too. Like I said...if it can't push the amps, the voltage suffers.

For dual coil stuff, double the ohms, and use the chart. If you want it cooler (and many DC users do) then you have to use the cool side of the math.

Also remember that amps = volts / ohms (the 2.0 ohms in your case, not the 4.0 ohms of each coil)

Last edited:

jdubba

May 4, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
3) Everyone else: depends on the device too. Like I said...if it can't push the amps, the voltage suffers.

For dual coil stuff, double the ohms, and use the chart. If you want it cooler (and many DC users do) then you have to use the cool side of the math.

Also remember that amps = volts / ohms (the 2.0 ohms in your case, not the 4.0 ohms of each coil)

The SVD supposedly will do 3.3 amps. Like the OP I have the SVD and got my iClears with the kit.

Based on what you've said I actually have some questions.

1.On a VW device do you need to take DC into account when adjusting your power settings? I'm guessing you do, but up until now I've been using SC devices, so VW settings were fine.

2 Assuming #1 is true does that also means it's better to set by VV rather than VW. The settings on most of the devices I looked at cut off at 15W. But they usually go up to 6V. On a 2Ω DC, at 6V, that would be 18W, and 3Amps (which should come under the 3.3 device limit) correct?

3. Based on this, if you're looking for a warmer vape, DC is not your friend, since it will draw twice the current to get to the same temp?

Thanks for helping a noob out. It's been a long time since I sat in a phys lab so my knowledge on this stuff is a bit rusty.

Also, sorry to OP for giving out the wrong calcs on the voltage.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
The SVD supposedly will do 3.3 amps. Like the OP I have the SVD and got my iClears with the kit.

Based on what you've said I actually have some questions.

1.On a VW device do you need to take DC into account when adjusting your power settings? I'm guessing you do, but up until now I've been using SC devices, so VW settings were fine.

I don't have a SVD. Some VW devices have a "using dual coil" setting....But basically, you'd double the watts otherwise. (think of the watts as being split between the two coils).

2 Assuming #1 is true does that also means it's better to set by VV rather than VW. The settings on most of the devices I looked at cut off at 15W. But they usually go up to 6V. On a 2Ω DC, at 6V, that would be 18W, and 3Amps (which should come under the 3.3 device limit) correct?

correct on the amps. As far as VV vs VW it's all different pieces of the same ohm's law pie as your calc here shows. If you have any two variables, the others are determined. So...since the ohms of the device is fixed...you can vary either the volts or the watts and everything else "works out". The only trick with watts is that you have to "split the watts" across the two coils or use a "Dual Coil" setting on the PV (which basically doubles the needed wattage).

3. Based on this, if you're looking for a warmer vape, DC is not your friend, since it will draw twice the current to get to the same temp?

well...there's a lot of differences with coils. But yes, it draws twice the amps. It spreads them differently. (Thermodynamics is not my friend.) Most use DCC's to get a cooler vape for a given "fullness". The other DCC users can chime in here. I've got limited experience with DCC stuff. However, I posted to help out since I didn't see anyone explain it.

Thanks for helping a noob out. It's been a long time since I sat in a phys lab so my knowledge on this stuff is a bit rusty.

np. Hope it was some help. :)

Also, sorry to OP for giving out the wrong calcs on the voltage.

Reply in blue above

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread