KR808D-1 Low voltage/variable voltage passthroughs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arker

Apr 25, 2013
NC, USA
I got a passthrough which I was very happy with at first, but the more I experiment and get a clue what I am doing the less I like it. It's passing through the full 5v of the usb cable, not the more tame 3.6-ish that my batteries put out, and with most of my liquids that just doesnt produce as pleasant an experience as I get with the battery. Has anyone else gone through this? Are there regulated passthroughs available somewhere that I am missing?

And I am sure this is a closely related question, I was looking at clearomizers and find they come with different resistances. The higher resistance models are probably more suitable for use on the passthrough than on the batteries I am thinking, but if there is a clear explanation of what should be used with what anywhere I seem to have missed it.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I vape mostly fruit and i like my flavor with high resistance atties because they get too close to burned tase with low reserve. I use the 5 volt passthough like yours. I buy 3.00 3.2 3.5 ohm. Morecontrol. When i had 2.4 ohm on it i held the power switch shorter time. I have an auto and a manual. The auto i use bottom coil Kanger atties at 3.00 ohm ( they might be 3.2 phm) The manual I drip 901s 3.00 ohm. Im not careful enough to drip an auto and would ruin the battery because it can get down inside it. Most cartos for the kr808-d are boge frowhat i was reading. I learned all 808s will work except 808-2s. Hope this helps. Oh and Im not a fan of clearos but i try some every now and then. Dont think they are great for autos, again all clearos leak onto the connection a little and that worries me. A carto will too if you overfill it. Anyway. Youre right 5 volt vaping is for a higher ohm. You can pop your atty if you go too low. Kill it

Last edited:

Arker

Apr 25, 2013
NC, USA
Where do you get 3-3.5 ohm? Everything I am looking at either doesnt give resistance or lists 2.4-2.8.

The cartos I have gotten from various sources appear to actually represent only two model from no more than two factories, and none of the suppliers I have dealt with say anything about resistance. There are clearomizers from the same place I got my passthrough that have resistance as an option but the only options are 2.4 and 2.8 ( KR808D1 Cartomizers )

I was recommended smokeless image as another source for 808 stuff, they dont appear to list resistance on any 808 compatible items, and their X2 only clearomizer is 2.6 or 2.9.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
ElectronicStix.Com · Joye Tech 510 Atomizer 3.0 OHM Standard Resistance

Also some other brands at Avid Vaper. Not all in stock. They might not be discount but the last a long time when you blow them clean a couple times a day and use clearer juices, not dark

Oh oh oh. Sorry. Most the places sell the adapter so you need an adapter 808 to 510
Ive been stuck on atties all week. Carto? I still recommend a 510 -kanger bottom coil. Let me check where those are and get back.

808 I dont know. But 901 fits 808. Google the 901 cartomizer 3.00 ohm or 808 and might find someone who sells. Do not buy if they dont say what ohms are. Imo those people cause more problems. They just want to sell stuff and dont care enough to put info out there

http://thevapestoreonline.com/index...com_virtuemart&Itemid=199&vmcchk=1&Itemid=199

This isnt where i got mine but same thing. I forget where i got mine and recently cleared my email trash and old emails. Sometimes you can find stuff just describing it. Ha ha i have described things i wish i could have and sometimes alibaba has it!

Double check these are horizontal coil. kanger cartomizer lie these is new to me since I just started that 5 volt passthrough a month ago. Usually i use atties

Last edited:

Arker

Apr 25, 2013
NC, USA
Interesting.

I had gone through several lists of adapters and only found adapters the other way - to use the 510 battery with the 808d1 cart but not the other way around. As you say, once I knew exactly what I was looking for it's a google away. Thread Adapter | 808D-1 to 510 - EVcigarettes.com Adapter for connecting a DSE901 or KR808D-1 battery with a Joye510 atomizer

I also did not know the 901 and 808 are interchangeable, but again a bit of googling seems to confirm it. Nice thread from only a few months back here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/kr808d-1/362069-differences-between-808-batteries.html

I appreciate the help.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
You are using a manual passthrough, right? If you're using an auto, 901 threaded atomizers will not fire on a "sealed' 808 due to differences in airflow. Also, if you use an auto then you need to get the proper adapter to get other devices working on your 808. I've had the best luck with the adapters from Mad Vapes.

Value Vapor is a good place to check out for high voltage 901 equipment.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Also, where they sell 808 pass throughs a long with 501 901 808 device choices on their site youll probably see the adapters. Remember not to drip an auto battery and be sure the wall charger adapter or cigarette lighter charger adapter is 2 amp for 5 volt passthroughs and that the car ( like if its old like mine, very old 25 years) has the right wiring to support 2 amp

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I should do it because atties are better taste. the Kanger horizontil coil when new tastes good though! i draw it a couple pre draws lightly and then a longnpull and they are very satisfying. My next venture is to put a tank on 510 tank atty for snapping tanks on and try out but havent seen a 3 ohm yet. Not looking hard. If that works out as well or better than kanger carto horizontal ill be having fun! I love love love auto batteries. Especially for that mindless puff puff past time type enjoyment rather than going for the goods.But you say the adapter I use must be auto friendly...correct?

Last edited:

Arker

Apr 25, 2013
NC, USA
Yeah, my pass-through is manual. I have that and two batteries going at the moment, my first was a cig20 auto which is still working fine though battery life is getting low. I also have a manual battery. My friend wanted to try the manual and was just sitting there holding the button down till it automatically turned off, THEN trying to drag and complaining it had nothing. :((

To be fair I find the auto a little more copacetic myself. I have been experimenting with cartomizers, refilling and using on all three devices, using syringe or dripping directly. I think I can handle keeping the autos safe while doing so, it really doesnt seem that hard so far.

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
Interesting.

I had gone through several lists of adapters and only found adapters the other way - to use the 510 battery with the 808d1 cart but not the other way around. As you say, once I knew exactly what I was looking for it's a google away. Thread Adapter | 808D-1 to 510 - EVcigarettes.com Adapter for connecting a DSE901 or KR808D-1 battery with a Joye510 atomizer

I also did not know the 901 and 808 are interchangeable, but again a bit of googling seems to confirm it. Nice thread from only a few months back here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/kr808d-1/362069-differences-between-808-batteries.html

I appreciate the help.

i recently got an adapter for an 808 batt to 510 devices. it worked with my manual 808 but not with my autos, perhaps because they are the "sealed" autos that SI sells

Last edited:

Arker

Apr 25, 2013
NC, USA
Kanger makes a good bottom coil carto for the 808. Smokeless Image also sells a good bottom coil carto for the 808, they may be kangers, i don't believe they have ever said

I have so far gotten cartos from myvaporstore and from a local store that manages crazy low prices and carries V2 and Cig20 branded cartos. The Cig20 branded ones are slightly different, 1-2mm longer, with a two-piece plug for the mouthpiece, but the others appear to be exactly the same down to every detail except the printing on the plastic wrapper. Think they are Kangers but cant seem to find the reason I think that.

Last edited:

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
i recently got an adapter for an 808 batt to 510 devices. it worked with my manual 808 but not with my autos, perhaps because they are the "sealed" autos that SI sells
Most 808 batteries these days are sealed. As I mentioned earlier, for an adapter to work properly on a sealed 808 automatic it must be slotted through the center post on the 808 connection in the same manner as an 808 cartomizer. Otherwise, air will not flow properly into the battery to activate the automatic switch.

I've used an 801 and an eGo adapter from Mad Vapes and both were slotted properly and worked flawlessly. I've even used the center pin from those adapters to modify other adapters to make them work properly. I have a 510 adapter on order from Mad Vapes now, and I'm sure it will be slotted properly as well.

Currently there is no adapter that allows you to use 901 atomizers on sealed 808's. There is a 901-808 adapter, but these are designed to allow slotted 808 atomizers to work on automatic 901 batteries. If the center pin is slotted, or you have one from another source, you can modify this adapter to allow 901 atomizers to work on 808 autos.

You can also use the center pin from an 808 cartomizer to "repair" your current adapter. However, in my experience, 808 cartomizers have a longer center pin than most adapters so you may have to be careful not to over-tighten your atomizer or you may damage the center pin on it or the battery.

I've even had a SmokTech 808 cartomizer which wouldn't fire on my 808. It was slotted through the center post, but I can only assume the slot wasn't deep enough because the battery wouldn't fire. Thankfully I had my modified 901 adapter so I was able to use it after all. I've since moved away from cartos, so I'm not sure if this was just a bad one or if it is typical of SmokTech.

My primary device is a sealed 808 automatic with a 510 adapter and an eGo-C atomizer. I did have to take a 1 mm drill bit to make a hole in the eGo-C base since they are only available sealed, but once I did it works like a dream. The 510 adapter is even hidden under the eGo-C base so I have a nice flush look with my Echo.

Do not buy adapters from Avid Vapor or Value Vapor for use on sealed 808 automatics. They are not slotted properly and will not work without adaptation.

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
an well thought out explanation Johnie. thank you. My only interest was in using my sealed 808 batts with 510 cartos as I make the conversion from 808 to 510. Do i understand that I can either have a slot in post of the 808 batt (as opposed to a slot in the theaded part, which would be much easier for me to create with a simple hacksaw i assume) or a slot in the adapter?

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
I have so far gotten cartos from myvaporstore and from a local store that manages crazy low prices and carries V2 and Cig20 branded cartos. The Cig20 branded ones are slightly different, 1-2mm longer, with a two-piece plug for the mouthpiece, but the others appear to be exactly the same down to every detail except the printing on the plastic wrapper. Think they are Kangers but cant seem to find the reason I think that.

you may be able distinguish the cartos by performance. the only sure way is to dissect the carto. With a bottom coil carto the filler material can be removed easily and you will see no wire or coil. I had a much harder time removing the filler material from a boge carto because it was packed more tightly but mostly because there is a wire attached to the bottom running up alongside the air tube with a wrapped coil. i had to break the wire to do it. the boge i dissected had a large burn hole in the filler around the coil which no doubt was the cause of the unavoidable burnt taste.

This construction is why i greatly prefer the kanger or SI carto to other cartos. While i may get some burnt taste when the carto is very low on liquid, it does not get a permanent burnt taste caused by actually burning the filler, which can occur much more easily when the coil is suspended vertically in the middle of the carto and there is not an ample amount of liquid in the carto. I suppose this could be mitigated by keeping the carto on it's side, assuming you knew which side of the carto the coil was on. With a bottom coil carto the usual position of the carto, bottom end down, keeps the liquid close to the coil. the filler shouldn't burn if it is wet.

you can get a 5 pack of 808 kanger cartos for $8 at good prophets or, with discount code SIVOLT50, about $7.50 at SI

Last edited:

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
an well thought out explanation Johnie. thank you. My only interest was in using my sealed 808 batts with 510 cartos as I make the conversion from 808 to 510. Do i understand that I can either have a slot in post of the 808 batt (as opposed to a slot in the theaded part, which would be much easier for me to create with a simple hacksaw i assume) or a slot in the adapter?
I imagine a slot in the battery would work, but I've yet to hear of anyone doing that to a working battery. Then again, I've yet to hear of anyone using a hacksaw to modify a center pin, so let me know how that works out for you. :)

Whether on the battery or the carto, the slot has to be there for the air to reach the automatic switch on a sealed battery. I believe the first sealed 808's had the slot on the battery rather than the cartomizer. I have heard of people who have slotted the center pin of a 901 atomizer to allow them to work on sealed automatics, so I know it will work. But since i don't own a dremel, I'm too lazy to put that much effort into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread