Do you vape cinnamon flavors? Read this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Why is it people always tend towards being alarmist at the least bit of negative news within the vaping community?

There's almost 2,000 food and other flavorings available to us, MOST of which have never been tested for inhalation safety.

I don't call it alarmist, I call it wanting to be reasonably concerned and also wanting to be informed about what goes into our bodies.

Why is it that the industry isn't more forthcoming when you just need answers to simple questions? Ever call or email a flavoring company, or juice vendor, to ask about ingredients? I have. I have talked to some earlier in 2012 who don't even know if their juice contains diacetyls......and some that say they don't, yet based on the flavorings I suspect they use, they ARE using flavors with diacetyls.

Why not band together, as an trade group, and use a small % of their profits to form an alliance to do testing, etc. ? I can tell you this. I can quit vaping just like I quit smoking, if I HAD to. Some people have had to. My livlihood/income does not revolve around vaping.

But since I am the consumer, paying for stuff, I feel entitled to ask all the questions I want.

If I don't get answers, I feel entitled to move on. :)

I understand where you're going, but I'm afraid that street goes two ways. I'm not willing to be anybody's guinea pig. I'm certainly not fond of paying for that honor.

I therefore feel it is utterly useful, to me at least, for people to share their experiences here......and don't consider that alarmist in the least. If a juice takes the varnish off my desk, eats into the formica on my kitchen counter, melts or etches a plastic bottle, I want to know about it, because chances are, I am NOT going to be vaping it. That is my choice, but I sure do appreciate being informed.

Last edited:

eddiezheadiez

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Boston
Why is it people always tend towards being alarmist at the least bit of negative news within the vaping community?
Cinnamon has many good qualities also and I don't consider the "Livestrong sites" one of the better informed "pseudo medical guides".
Of course I am not talking about those of you who've had some sort of reaction to vaping juices with it. On the flip side of the coin cinnamon also has beneficial health effects. Cinnamon offers anti-clotting and anti-microbial benefits, boosts brain function and contributes to a healthy colon. It may also help control blood sugar in people with diabetes.
Read more: Cinnamon Health Benefits | LIVESTRONG.COM
These "facts" also came from the same site the OP quoted.
I'm supposing these "facts" could be true perhaps of lots of organic or natural flavors we use we just don't know about the effects in our lungs or very little at best. :)
C.B.

There's a huge difference between ingesting CINNAMON and inhaling CINNAMON FLAVOR (artificial or natural). There's no doubt that INGESTING cinnamon is not harmful to the majority of people, whether its beneficial or not is for an expert to say. Anyway, there seems to be sufficient evidence that cinnamon flavoring is NOT GOOD for the lungs. It may not affect your digestive system, but it is far more likely that it would cause respiratory problems considering it is a flavor for consumption and not for inhalation. The tissue or membranes of the lung and digestive tract are entirely different. Also, you used the same website as evidence to back your claims that you basically said was unreputable...

Phoenix-AU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Australia
One night I was vaping a cinnamon juice and when I looked in the bathroom mirror I noticed a line of dried blood along the outer edge of my entire bottom lip. Though I found it strange at the time, since I've never had anything like it, I didn't think much of it and assumed it was due to dry winter lips. The juice also irritated my tongue so I put off vaping it for a while. A few weeks later I tried it again and after vaping for a few hours the dried blood around my lip came back. I threw the juice out and know I will be avoiding anything with cinnamon flavoring in the future.

OMG, I am experiencing this exact same problem / symptom, and guess what...I am vaping Cinnamon Roll and Sticky Bun cinnamon based flavours!

Time to give them a break and see if these issues go away!

Vaptor

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2012
sydney
I find that some flavors can be an irritant/allergen for me. It usually takes me 1-2 days of vaping a certain flavor to find out that it becomes very harsh tasting and my body tells me it doesn't want it anymore. With Cinnamon it took over a week and I also think it gave me light flu like symptoms but can't be sure I just didn't catch the flu which could be a coincidence.
So in about a year of testing I've found that fruit and bakery flavors can have an affect on me. I've never had any problems with tobacco flavors so I'm sticking to those. I vape those all the time and feel absolutely fine.

iamlenb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Cinnamon essential oil is known irritant. I've stopped using it in room freshener mixes and in any of my massage oil mixes. I know first hand that some people react to it. Ymmv.

I like the flavor and the smell, it's one of the things I include in my personal clove/orange/cinnamon body fragrance, but again, not for everyone. My ex can't tolerate it. My partner loves the smell but won't use it herself...

Like just about everything else to do with vaping life, try it carefully, monitor how it makes you feel, and keep in mind that you may have problems. Test it carefully.

GLWV!

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Cinnamon flavoring in e-liquids melting plastic tanks is not because it is caustic, it's because of a chemical reaction between the flavoring and the plastic. There is no relationship between this and human consumption or inhalation.

But the argument that we shouldn't vape something that "melts [polycarbonate] plastic" is a fallacious oversimplification. People eat cinnamon all the time, after all. The fact that certain flavorings have a destructive interaction with polycarbonate doesn't prove anything in particular about the safety of those flavorings OR the safety of polycarbonate in isolation.

I made no such argument. Simply stated that it was enough to stop me from using the flavor. You and everyone else can decide for yourself.

Personally my reason to quit analogs was to avoid damaging my lungs. When I see a chemical that can dissolve plastic it is enough to raise my suspicion about the damage it might do my lungs. That is enough reason for me to avoid it unless I see evidence that it is not going to damage my lungs.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Surely if cinnamon biscuits would be so dangerous to liver, there would be a warning on the box unless biscuit makers enjoy getting sued by every human that ever ate few cinnamon biscuits on a Xmas day.

There may not be enough evidence to warent such a warning or it could be politics.

Don't forget that most of us vape nicotine which is a deadly poison. We drink caffeine, another poison. Plain table salt can be deadly in large quantities. Just because a chemical is bad for one person doesn't mean it is harmful to everyone.

The purpose of a thread like should be to to tap the cumulative knowledge of this forums members. This is not a black and white issue and people have to make their own decisions on how much risk they want to take.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I have had burning reactions to cinnamon in my vapes, with cinnamon not being the main flavoring, just a secondary flavor. Talked to my Dentist and he was not surprised. Cinnamon is a common irritant. He has patients that can not use cinnamon gum, mouthwash, toothpaste or cinnamon flavored toothpicks. He advised that as a known irritant cinnamon should not be inhaled. Nutmeg is another irritant he advised against.

DRock

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Has anyone contacted Gremlin Juice about their cinnamon flavoring? I got some Horchata yesterday and have been using it as an ADV juice since then because the other flavors need some steep time. My tongue is starting to feel slightly raw, though I ate some rather hot pizza which could have irritated it further, amplifying the irritating effects of cinnamon. No lung or throat issues, just the tip of my tongue.

NorthWestVapour

Nov 20, 2013
Washington
Information is good, the more the better. I think safety with this is number one... But damn cinnamon roll from MBV is my favorite.. So this also sucks lol. I have noticed my guns have been sensitive since vaping this flavor though. Any suggestions on a new flavor similar? (Obviously something without cinnamon) I hear great things about Boba's Bounty. Does that contain cinnamon flavoring? Also thinking about 5 pawns. Give me some feedback please. I really need to replace my favorite all day vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread