Getting headaches from vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austintatious

Jan 6, 2009
Hi everyone. I have been getting headaches lately when I vape. They are painful headaches in the back of my head down near my neck. It happens when I spend a lot of time running the battery down... I am wondering if this may be caused by the nicotine of if its from the PG. I don't have any 0 nicotine stuff to try so perhaps I should order some and see if that gives me a headache. any other suggestions? What about the non PG based liquid? the vegatable stuff.. any suggestions where to get it?

Keltrey

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2008
Olney, Illinois
yes but then what do I do? make my own juice? How do I get the nicotine in it?

Here is the link for the DIY E-Liquid section, most of your questions about how to make your own should be answered here. :)

SUSPENDED

Pay not attention to the SUSPENDED title, its just from the server migration.

Last edited:

riddle80

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2008
Nashville, TN
Could just be nic withdrawl. What mg are you vaping?

Taken from the common symptoms thread:
4.) Headaches, Nausea & Shakiness - These are common nicotine withdrawal symptoms. If you are using a low dose of nicotine and not taking in as much as when you normally smoked, you can experience these withdrawal symptoms. These withdrawal symptoms typically last only a few days to a week.

Could also be tension headaches. Are you under a lot of stress? See HERE

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Headaches are also caused by dehydration. I think our bodies get dehydrated with vaping, hence the reports of unusually dry skin, eyes, etc. Vapers really need to increase their fluid intake.

And I don't know about anyone else but I "forget" to eat quite often when vaping heavily. What reminds me? When I start getting a headache, I have to actually think when I last ate. I must get so consumed with all the vaping rigmarole that I don't even think about it. I've lost about 5 lbs already....without even trying! But as soon as I get that ache in my head, I stop and get something to eat and drink and it never goes any further....and I use 36mg.

So it's not the vaping itself that's causing the problems for me but neglecting other important things that go along with it.

Lu

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
You raise a valid point, Lu. Propylene glycol in our e-liquid is a humectant, of course, as is vegetable glycerine. These attract moisture to a 70% humidity level. Rubbed on skin, PG can "moisturize" by drawing water from the surrounding air.

But the mouth and lungs are supposed to be moist places. If you coat their surfaces with propylene glycol -- and then breathe in dry, cold or air conditioned air -- you are likely to draw moisture FROM your body to the air, which you then exhale as a cloud of vapor (some of it from your own body's moisture).

Since the lungs need to stay moist, moisture is taken from other parts of the body. You get dry skin, crusty eyes, itchies! And you get a sore throat that invites viruses to come on in and settle into tiny cracks caused by the drying out (your throat looks like a lake bottom after all water evaporated).

The best solution is to stay hydrated. The last chore before bed should be to rinse out the mouth and drink some water. (Head to the bathroom first; then drink a little water before lying down.)

That headache is a message from your body. See if hydration addresses that particular message.

Last edited:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Headaches are also caused by dehydration. I think our bodies get dehydrated with vaping, hence the reports of unusually dry skin, eyes, etc. Vapers really need to increase their fluid intake.

And I don't know about anyone else but I "forget" to eat quite often when vaping heavily. What reminds me? When I start getting a headache, I have to actually think when I last ate. I must get so consumed with all the vaping rigmarole that I don't even think about it. I've lost about 5 lbs already....without even trying! But as soon as I get that ache in my head, I stop and get something to eat and drink and it never goes any further....and I use 36mg.

So it's not the vaping itself that's causing the problems for me but neglecting other important things that go along with it.

Lu

Lu - Totally agree with you on this. I have noticed the exact same thing...

halopunker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
New Philadelphia, OH
Well the biggest problem is a lot of people don't drink enough water. Remember, drinking a 2 liter of soda/pop does not equal to drinking a half gallon of water!

I have experienced head aches when trying my clove cartridges, sadly they came in high. it was just too much nicotine for me.

So try increasing your water intake/lowering your nicotine strength.

I just started getting these headaches around day 45 of vaping, but they seem to be pretty consistent now. I can't figure out what changed. I'm vaping the same amount and the same liquid. It never fails though, about 15-30 minuets after I vape i get a slight headache, then when i vape again and the headache gets super intense. Has anyone found any solutions yet?

Civitasdei

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Just an idea, but if one takes any kind of medication to lower blood pressure, this may interfere with vaping since nicotine constricts blood vessels. For instance, if one is taking say an aspirin, one's blood vessels dilate, but if you vape, then your blood vessels contract... This is akin to taking an upper and a downer at once, i.e. something you don't want to do.

Contracting blood vessels cause headaches anyway. It could just be that you are/have become sensitive to nicotine's effect on blood vessels. If nausea is occasionally accompanied w/ headache, it would make blood pressure a more likely candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread