RBA wicking material: Ekowool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rictic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Miami, FL
I just received my order of Ekowool from Stormy's today and got to work on building a coil for my Chalice. I always liked silica as a wick, but after all the info on it's potentially hazardous long term effects I figured it was worth giving the supposedly safer and ecologically friendlier Ekowool a shot. There's more info on other ECF threads and the Ekowool official website, and based on that info I decided to get the 2mm strands and gave it one loop. I used 32 gauge Kanthal A1 wire, about 5 wraps for a 2.1-ish ohm resistance.
ekowool 2.jpg ekowool.jpg

Just wanted to share with fellow REOnauts, even those that don't use silica for flavor or health reasons, that this stuff so far has exceeded my expectations as far as wicking material for RBAs. It wicks amazingly well, better than cotton or regular silica ever did for me, and it retains a remarkable amount of liquid between squonks. The flavor: some of the cleanest flavor I have experienced, even after having dry-fired the coil to check for hot spots.

The pic above (right) shows the coil with one squonks worth saturation after taking about five pulls with tons of vapor; it still looks very saturated, because it is very saturated. I though the fraying (shown on left pic) would be a problem when installing since I like leaving a least one longer strand to soak up residual juice. I ended up cutting it flush at the ends since it turned out the fraying creates like a super-mop of smaller wick fingers that sucks up any liquid in its path.

I highly recommend this stuff for RBAs on REOs. I personally feel it has improved what had already been the best vaping set-up I had tried. I can't say for sure whether it's safer than regular silica, but I can surely comment on its superior performance.

Rictic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Miami, FL
Are there any studies showing whether this type of silica is any less prone to shed fibers into the inhaled vapor than regular silica?

I haven't found anything yet, Plaz. Then again I haven't searched all that deep or been able to take more than 15 min to really try to find something. If anyone finds anything, please do share.

I never really worried too much about silica, since I'm not a chain vaper and always kept my wick saturated. I just liked the info on the site, specifically the quote from the link I put: "Ecologically clean materials Ekowool™ Supersil successfully replace cancer-causing materials based on asbestos, ceramic and basaltic fibers." Plus I feel it tastes cleaner and wicks better than regular silica. But I do understand people that want verified empirical data on its health effects.

Then again, I also don't know how "empirical" some of any info can be since vaping hasn't been around that long, and using Ekowool as wicking material for vaping no doubt much less long to compound observational data.

Last edited:

Rictic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2012
Miami, FL
How ya diggin that chalice Florida boy? :)

Diggin the draw, diggin the look, diggin the flavor, diggin the vapor.... there's only so much I can dig down here before hitting water ;)
But I have to say, since I've been using this new wicking material on my RM2 as well I'm having a very tough time finding justification for the immense price different between the chalice and RM2, performance-wise. It may also have to do with the fact that I'm getting better at building coil/wicks for different RBAs. Don't regret getting the chalice II at all though. Sold my hornet for sure; way too little space between the posts for my liking.

How well does it bend and/or expand? As in, how possible is it to stuff it through an existing coil?

I feel it's more flexible than silica, but I hadn't thought about threading it through an existing coil since I've been building my coils directly on the wick. In that case I think the fraying I mentioned before might be a pretty notable inconvenience, unless you wet the ends a little and twist them tight.

Edit: I have been threading a straightened out paper clip through the ekowool to wrap the coil since it has a hollow core. Maybe that could help to install it in a pre-existing coil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread