Appetite Suppression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwade01

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2009
Vancouver WA
This is an intresting question and I'm looking forward to see how others feel. I for one have'nt noticed a change in appetite one way or another. I enjoy the taste a lot more already. I can actually taste the difference between Wendy's and McDonald's all of the sudden but that's about it.
Bearing in mind that I have only been (foggy?) smoke free for going on my ninth day now. This just may be a demon I have to face in the near future.
Robert

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I have had just the opposite happen. I've lost around 5 lbs since I started (mid Nov) and I know it's because I haven't been eating as much. For me, I think it's because I get so consumed in the vaping. Picking up this pen, then that one, making this mix, then that one, etc. Like right now, I put something in the microwave about 15 minutes ago, checked my mail and found some new flavorings I ordered. The heck with eating now.....I'll get to it later...lol

I should add that I do still smoke some analogs....but I don't see that they, in particular, suppress my appetite any.

Lu

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
i have noticed that i am more prone to wanting to eat between meals... especially this sweet tooth that has developed.

when i "quit" before, i would stand in the kitchen and work my way from one end to the other, crying as i ate myself sick. with my e-cig, this is greatly subdued. i think i do eat more, but i also think it is because things are tasting better. (especially chocolate milkshakes... you'd think i was prego LOL)

either way, this time around, i am noticing the food cravings aren't as bad... but i also have decided that i am not quitting smoking, just the tobacco... and it took me six months to transition completely... so my tobacco usage wasn't just cut off...

but i also haven't gained any weight and do find that sometimes i forget to eat...

I guess I should have been more specific, I do believe I eat less than the few times I quit analogs (or tried) before this... and the e-cig definitely keeps me from shoving food in my mouth... BUT my appetite has increased significantly since I quit analogs altogether. I used to finish an analog and not be hungry for a while. Now... with vaping I find that I am hungry and it is not relevant to whether I just vaped or not.I am just hungry. Fun flavors certainly keep me from eating as much as I would without it... but the appetite is still there.

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
well, I was reading one of those nut-job websites yesterday (i forget the url now) that claimed that analogs had opium in them. So, maybe that's it? :D

Seriously, though, that's kinda scary to hear that it doesnt have the same appetite suppressant effect. That's one of the things I use analogs for :(

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
well, I was reading one of those nut-job websites yesterday (i forget the url now) that claimed that analogs had opium in them. So, maybe that's it? :D

Seriously, though, that's kinda scary to hear that it doesnt have the same appetite suppressant effect. That's one of the things I use analogs for :(

I admit, that was definitely a bonus for me. I have found though that admitting to myself that something in the appetite suppression realm is missing from the e-cig, I notice that I want to eat and stop myself by using my e-cig. I remind myself that whatever it was in the tobacco or smoke that did that for me, can be easily remedied with a piece of beef jerky or fruit.

The e-cig isn't perfect... but it's damn near close (when measuring the knowns about tobacco against the whatifs in the e-juice).

And the anti's say us "nicotine addicts" are weak minded. blah.

K.P.

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2008
United Kingdom
While there may be something (or multiple somethings) in cigarettes that suppress the appetite, nicotine on its own is an appetite suppressant. My doctor explained it to me in simple terms: nicotine replicates a particular neurotransmitter and bonds to a particular receptor in the brain. This effectively fools the brain into thinking that there is food in the stomach.

One effect of this is that the brain then tells the stomach to start producing acid for digesting the food. Thus a post-meal cigarette can actually contribute to efficient digestion, but between meal smoking just causes your stomach to have excess acid with no food to soak it up. And thus it can contribute to gastritis, GERD, hiatus hernias, and ulcers. And possibly even stomach cancer, even though nicotine itself is not believed to cause cancer with the tissues it comes into direct contact with.

Cage

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2009
Arizona, USA
I quit analogs, but I must stop eating before I look like a house!!!

I wondered about this too.
So far so good, no increase in appetite.

Smoke or get fat? Not a choice I would want to have to make.

This also reminds me of that prescription drug to cure baldness... Propecia.

From their website:
In clinical studies for PROPECIA, a small number of men experienced certain sexual side effects, such as less desire for sex, difficulty in achieving an erection, or a decrease in the amount of semen. Each of these side effects occurred in less than 2% of men and went away in men who stopped taking PROPECIA because of them.

Dennis Miller announced the sale of Propecia on his HBO show this way:

Propecia!!! Either way... you're not getting laid! :lol:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I can report going into month 5, I have no issues with weight gain. I never have had any issues with weight anyway so this does not surprise me. Other' s I know also report no weight gain. In my opinion, I concur with the theory that smokers who quite supplement the habit with increased food intake, but then again there are alway many theories out there!!---Sun

NicoNut

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia USA
lost around 5 lbs since I started (mid Nov) and I know it's because I haven't been eating as much. For me, I think it's because I get so consumed in the vaping. Picking up this pen, then that one, making this mix, then that one, etc. Like right now, I put something in the microwave about 15 minutes ago, checked my mail and found some new flavorings I ordered. The heck with eating now.....I'll get to it later...lol

Same here..I've lost 4 or 5 pounds since starting vaping a little over a month ago. I was amazed when I thought about it after the first week of NO cigs...how I had not attacked the candy jar, or everything in the kitchen like I had every other time I tried to quit! I agree that some of it probably is staying so busy mixing, filling, learning new tricks on this forum, etc. Today I noticed at 4pm, that I forgot to eat lunch. Said oh well, too late now and went on vaping. Also noticed the sweet tooth I've had most of my life is waning.

I had tried to quit analogs many times over the years. In a span of 24 hours without smoking I could eat several days worth of food.

I have been analog free since July 15th. I have not gained or loss any weight. I am not really paying attention to the eating, but I think part of it is because of the flavors. If I am vaping gingerbread and start feeling hungry, I don't end up snacking because nothing would match the taste already in my mouth. So I just have a glass of milk instead!

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
Well, when you get your sense of smell back, and your tastebuds regenerate, it's not unexpected that you enjoy food more. For me, I tend to munch mindlessly. So for me, the ecigs really help with the hand to mouth gotta have something sweet issue. Some people lose weight this way, some people gain a little. I find upping the nic a bit and choosing super yum flavors really does help. Of course, drink LOTS of water, this will also help avoid weight gain as you adjust to your new life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread