ProTank - which coils work best (which resistance)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Hey guys, which resistance Protank coils (1.8, 2.2, 2.5) work best for you? I know this is usually a matter of personal preference, and I'm mainly asking those of you with variable voltage/wattage batteries..

Back when I was using T2's, I prefered low-resistance coils on my VV-battery, and usually vaped at around 8 watts; so I preferred the 1.8ohm coils and ran them at about 3.8volts (8 watts), they seamed to give me a stronger thicker vapor and definitely the best flavor than maybe the 2.2ohm coils @ 4.2volts which is the same wattage (8w).. Although when I got a Nova-clearo I seamed to like the flavor better on the standard 2.4ohm coil compared to the 1.8ohm coil, when I got the voltage right

Now I've had the ProTank for about a month, and I lovee it so far when it works right lol. I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed the 2.5-2.6ohm coils that came with the protank, amazing flavor and plumes of great thick vapor!! The only downside from the low-res coils I was used to using was that my Vision Spinner drains a bit quicker, but that's okay..
... But the reason I ask this question is because I just ordered a bunch of replacement coils, and wanted to see which coils you guys liked best for the protank?? I ordered a five-pack of the 2.5ohm coils, and 2 packs of the 1.8ohm coils; they also had 2.2ohms but I passed on those.

I haven't tried the 1.8ohm coils for the protank at all yet, so I'm anxious to see how I like them since I ordered 10 of them. I'm concerned that maybe the ProTank performs better with the higher-resistance coils and higher voltage to vape up the juice good, compared to the lower-resistance coils at the same wattage (lower voltage)

Thanks! :p

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
I've heard some people mention that it doesn't matter which resistance coils you get if you have a variable voltage/wattage battery, because you can just adjust the voltage to get to the wattage you like or vice-versa. (For example, if you usually use 1.8ohm coils at 3.8volts but are stuck with some 2.2ohm coils, you can just up your voltage to 4.2volts w/ the 2.2coils to get the same vapor)

But in my experience this isn't true, I may get just as much vapor with a different-resistance coil at the same wattage but the flavor definitely isn't the same. When I switched from 1.8ohm coils @ 3.7volts to 2.2ohms @4.2volts (both @ 8watts) on my T2's, the flavor was definitely not the same and maybe somewhat muted.. This is why I'm asking you guys, thanks again in advance!!
:)

TyrannyUnleashed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Mid-South
Hey guys, which resistance Protank coils (1.8, 2.2, 2.5) work best for you? I know this is usually a matter of personal preference, and I'm mainly asking those of you with variable voltage/wattage batteries..

Back when I was using T2's, I prefered low-resistance coils on my VV-battery, and usually vaped at around 8 watts; so I preferred the 1.8ohm coils and ran them at about 3.8volts (8 watts), they seamed to give me a stronger thicker vapor and definitely the best flavor than maybe the 2.2ohm coils @ 4.2volts which is the same wattage (8w).. Although when I got a Nova-clearo I seamed to like the flavor better on the standard 2.4ohm coil compared to the 1.8ohm coil, when I got the voltage right

Now I've had the ProTank for about a month, and I lovee it so far when it works right lol. I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed the 2.5-2.6ohm coils that came with the protank, amazing flavor and plumes of great thick vapor!! The only downside from the low-res coils I was used to using was that my Vision Spinner drains a bit quicker, but that's okay..
... But the reason I ask this question is because I just ordered a bunch of replacement coils, and wanted to see which coils you guys liked best for the protank?? I ordered a five-pack of the 2.5ohm coils, and 2 packs of the 1.8ohm coils; they also had 2.2ohms but I passed on those.

I haven't tried the 1.8ohm coils for the protank at all yet, so I'm anxious to see how I like them since I ordered 10 of them. I'm concerned that maybe the ProTank performs better with the higher-resistance coils and higher voltage to vape up the juice good, compared to the lower-resistance coils at the same wattage (lower voltage)

Thanks! :p

It's mostly the same for me with any of those coils on my VV PV. But latley I have been liking the 2.5 ohm better. I think I have like that resistance better due to the fact that I have a little more room to adjust the voltage to get the best taste from various juices.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply, yeah I'm the same, usually prefer low-res 1.8 but when I got the ProTank I really liked the 2.5ohm coil that came with it better. I haven't tried the 1.8ohm coils yet for the KPT but I have 3 five-packs of them about to arrive tomorrow from the mail, I hope I don't regret getting 15 1.8ohm coils and only 1 5-pack of the 2.5ohm coils!! :unsure:

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
But in my experience this isn't true, I may get just as much vapor with a different-resistance coil at the same wattage but the flavor definitely isn't the same. When I switched from 1.8ohm coils @ 3.7volts to 2.2ohms @4.2volts (both @ 8watts) on my T2's, the flavor was definitely not the same and maybe somewhat muted.. This is why I'm asking you guys, thanks again in advance!!
:)

Bottom coil clearos perform slightly differently to other juice delivery systems. Generally speaking, they vape better at lower wattages than a cartomiser (for example). I'm surprised you were able to push 8W with a T2. 8W is generally where I like my vape to be, but, when I was using the T3, I'd find myself at around 6W. The Protank comes with an instruction sheet which tells you what your voltage should be for the different heads. My advice: follow it!

With regard to the heads: there shouldn't be a noticeable difference when comparing one resistance with another at the same wattage, given that all the heads in the 1.8 ohm to 2.5 ohm range are low/standard resistances. The difference is more pronounced when you get into high voltage vaping (3.0 ohm +).

Also, you need to bear in mind that just because the product says 2.2 ohm on the box, it isn't necessarily 2.2 ohm in the box. I've had 2.2 ohm heads that have metered at 2.7 ohm. I suspect that the muted flavour you experienced was probably due to the fact that, whilst you thought you were vaping at 8W, you probably weren't.

JJ

TyrannyUnleashed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Mid-South
Bottom coil clearos perform slightly differently to other juice delivery systems. Generally speaking, they vape better at lower wattages than a cartomiser (for example). I'm surprised you were able to push 8W with a T2. 8W is generally where I like my vape to be, but, when I was using the T3, I'd find myself at around 6W. The Protank comes with an instruction sheet which tells you what your voltage should be for the different heads. My advice: follow it!

With regard to the heads: there shouldn't be a noticeable difference when comparing one resistance with another at the same wattage, given that all the heads in the 1.8 ohm to 2.5 ohm range are low/standard resistances. The difference is more pronounced when you get into high voltage vaping (3.0 ohm +).

Also, you need to bear in mind that just because the product says 2.2 ohm on the box, it isn't necessarily 2.2 ohm in the box. I've had 2.2 ohm heads that have metered at 2.7 ohm. I suspect that the muted flavour you experienced was probably due to the fact that, whilst you thought you were vaping at 8W, you probably weren't.

JJ

This is good advice to follow the cards guidelines. when I got my first Protank I was used to doing things differently with a carto tank setup. But once I decided to go with the card, the flavor profile was truely enhanced for me. Like I said in my first reply, I can now make adjustments in the suggested range and reach different flavors within the same eliquid. That is why I prefer the higher resistance. But I think you'll be fine with the 1.8 ohm as well. I don't mind when I put one of those in, as they tend to be closer to 2.0 ohm anyway.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Every thread I create about the ProTank, somebody tells me to use evod heads lol. When I first got my protank I got 2 five-packs of evod heads also to try with it, and every one of them made my protank leak juice into the battery connector!! My friend had a protank from a different store, and he had the same problem with my evod coils lol, leaked all over.. Maybe I'll try switching the post from the evod to the KPT.

Thanks everybody for the replies.. What would make this a lot easier for me is if I had an advanced PV that would show me the exact ohm-rating of my coils, gonna have to upgrade from my 1300mah Spinner soon to maybe an eVic!!

Deacon Aegis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
Marietta, GA
www.aegissteamcraft.com
Anybody wanna trade 2 five-packs of 1.8ohm protank coils for 2 five-packs of the 2.6ohm?? lol, still waiting on my mailman should be here within the hour

Hehe, stalking the Vapemail... Doing the same myself today actually... I have a Segelei Vmax that is supposed to arrive today.... Gonna plug in a new AGA-T+ onto the thing to see how well the combo works... Good luck and don't poopoo those 1.8 coils, you may find they do very well for you on the lower volt settings with some of your juices. I rock a protank on one of my Volcano Batteries and the 1.8 ohm is great for that. ;)

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Haha yeah waiting for vape mail, USPS says my package is 'out for delivery'!!
Awesome thanks for the reply.. I was actually verrryyy close to purchasing that Segelei Zmax V3 Telescopic APV when I placed my order with DiscountVapers (only $75 too, not bad), which would have arrived today with my protank coils!! What almost pursuaded me was when I met a vaper blowing out huge clouds from his Segelei at my softball game a few days ago
Sigelei ZMax Telecopic Variable Voltage/Wattage Mod - Stainless
Hope you enjoy it, let me know how it works.. :)

Maybe I should have just bought that Zmax the other day when I ordered my coils, but I've been spending way too much on vaping recently and figured I'd hold off for now.. My 1300mah Vision Spinner has been working fine, and I'm still undecided if I want to upgrade to maybe a ProVari, a Segelei Zmax or Vmax (or a Vamo or similar mod), or maybe an EVic which I've really been eying up.
.. I still want to grab a 510 cig-a-like to bring with me to bars and such also, I still feel pretty awkward busting out my huge Spinner/ProTank (or iClear30) when everyone around me is smoking cancer-sticks

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, please keep the feedback coming!!

Deacon Aegis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
Marietta, GA
www.aegissteamcraft.com
Haha yeah waiting for vape mail, USPS says my package is 'out for delivery'!!
Awesome thanks for the reply.. I was actually verrryyy close to purchasing that Segelei Zmax V3 Telescopic APV when I placed my order with DiscountVapers (only $75 too, not bad), which would have arrived today with my protank coils!! What almost pursuaded me was when I met a vaper blowing out huge clouds from his Segelei at my softball game a few days ago
Sigelei ZMax Telecopic Variable Voltage/Wattage Mod - Stainless
Hope you enjoy it, let me know how it works.. :)

Maybe I should have just bought that Zmax the other day when I ordered my coils, but I've been spending way too much on vaping recently and figured I'd hold off for now.. My 1300mah Vision Spinner has been working fine, and I'm still undecided if I want to upgrade to maybe a ProVari, a Segelei Zmax or Vmax (or a Vamo or similar mod), or maybe an EVic which I've really been eying up.
.. I still want to grab a 510 cig-a-like to bring with me to bars and such also, I still feel pretty awkward busting out my huge Spinner/ProTank (or iClear30) when everyone around me is smoking cancer-sticks

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, please keep the feedback coming!!

Yeah, I know what you mean about getting some of the other mods. I started into big battery mods with the ProVari, figured I just jump right to the best of bread first then compare everything against that. So far, I like most of the mods. The mechanical mod is not really my favorite as I tend to get two full days of vaping out of one 18650 battery on the ProVari. The Vamo eats the batteries quite a bit faster in my experience, lasting still a good full day on one 18650, but the ProVari seems far more efficient with the batteries than anything else so far. I suspect that I'll get pretty good battery life out of the Vmax, but we shall soon see... we shall soon see... mwahaha.

Now that current comparison of battery life is both using the Kanger ProTanks and both with the 2.6 ohm heads. I suspect the AGA-T+ will be a user mileage varies depending on the ohms of the coil, etc. So once again, we'll see how the performance goes. On the funner side of things, I can wrap my Vamo in a camo skin and thus have a camo'd vamo, which has a certain appeal to me... I like cheese... Now the ProVari came with a free membership to the ProVarinatti (a secret society of illuminated vapers who think they know everything, but really don't though they tend to be on the path of sacred vaper wisdom, but have yet to master such deep and abiding knowledge - also make great secret agents and drive fancy cars and such *I wish*) LOL We all know it is the mech mod gods of legend and lore that possess those knowledges and enlightenments... (or so they would also have us believe....) Anyway, I digress...

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Well my 'vape mail' came in about 10minutes after my last post. I'm about to screw on one the 1.8ohm Protank coils now and let it prime for a few minutes, than I'll see how it goes compared to the 2.6s and report back..

Haha Deacon, excellent reply! Thanks for the great feedback on APV's and mods, you may have just saved me a lot of time on researching when it comes time for me to upgrade from my Spinner.. I may just jump and buy a ProVari for my next battery when the time is right, but right now I've just been spending too much $$ lately and need to hold off for awhile.. I was smoking about 15-20 cigs a day (sometimes less) before I started vaping, and the brand I smoked was cheap, like $2.50 a pack (USD), so I've been spending wayy more on vaping than when I smoked cigs. It is worth it, but I need to hold off on my spending a bit

The eVic has really been catching my eye too, I may actually get that instead of the ProVari, or maybe even a Z/Vmax.. Let me know how your VMax compares to your others, in battery life and function, I'm pretty interested.

But yeah if anybody else has any feedback please keep replying. I'll let you know how my coils work out

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
I've also heard about the ProVarinatti haha.. If I ever get a ProVari, I'll gratefully decline membership lol

So I let the 1.8ohm coil soak up juice and prime for about an hour, gave it a couple dry drags, and just vaped it a few times.. It seems as there's definitely less vapor and flavor than a brand new 2.5ohm coil would give me, the flavor almost seems slightly muted maybe a slight plastic-taste that the T3 would give me?? Maybe I should've let the coil soak in distilled water and dry out before I fired it up..

Uggghh, I wish I didn't order 20 of these 1.8s and only 5 of the 2.6s..... I guess it's not that bad. Does anybody wanna trade?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread