Vamo Shutting Itself Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
my vamo recently started doing this thing where it turns itself off after my draw. at first i thought the resistance of my genny was somehow below 1.2Ω, but nope, the vamo was reading it well above that. so i turn the device back on and have another vape. the device turns itself off. this cycle continues for a few more vapes.

i thought it was something to do with the rba, so i swapped it out for a carto-tank. a known working carto tank. boom, it happened again. the light flashes and the device turns off.

i cant figure out whats going on. the battery was 3.7v when the problem started, and went down to 3.6v as i was playing around with it. so the batt wasnt dead yet. perhaps it was shutting off early?

ive since swapped out the batt and the problem hasnt come back, but im fearful it will start acting up again once this batt is half-way depleted. has this happened to anyone else?

FTR, im using AW and EFest IMR 18350s.

media

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta
dude mine does this all the time. It's just a minor annoyance. I click it back on and i'm back to vaping again. I dont know what is causing it. I thought battery connection at first, but it does it with 18350s wheres theres definitely contact because it's a tight spring at that point. It does it with every battery I have.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, either you're losing connection with the battery, or it sounds like your center pin is shorting out. What happens if you press the button when no delivery device is attached? Does the vamo still shut down? It's possible that when you read ohms it'll be ok, but when you try to vape, you start drawing current and the vamo shuts itself down. I've seen this before!

Try this... pull the center pin up a little, use a small jewelers screwdriver or tweezers, and then fire the vamo with nothing attached to it. If it doesn't shut down... connect your delivery device again, but only tighten it so it barely makes contact... then try to vape it again. If you can vape it without the vamo shutting down, then you probably need to replace the rubber gasket under the center pin. See the Ohm's fix thread on how to do that.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
How old are your batterries? Is it happenning on both batts?

my AW batteries were purchased around the first of the year. my efests were purchased just a few weeks ago. i cant remember which battery this happened with. i think it was an AW.

Battery could be losing connection, do you have the new gold spring? Flat tops or button tops?

no, i have the original skinnier spring. button top batts. good call on the battery connection idea. you know, i think that could be it. the efests are slightly larger than the AWs. maybe the efests compacted the spring slightly, so when the AW got put in there, the spring wasnt quite as springy, creating more wiggle and less connection.

dude mine does this all the time. It's just a minor annoyance. I click it back on and i'm back to vaping again. I dont know what is causing it. I thought battery connection at first, but it does it with 18350s wheres theres definitely contact because it's a tight spring at that point. It does it with every battery I have.

its good to know im not the only one :blush:

Well, either you're losing connection with the battery, or it sounds like your center pin is shorting out. What happens if you press the button when no delivery device is attached? Does the vamo still shut down? It's possible that when you read ohms it'll be ok, but when you try to vape, you start drawing current and the vamo shuts itself down. I've seen this before!

Try this... pull the center pin up a little, use a small jewelers screwdriver or tweezers, and then fire the vamo with nothing attached to it. If it doesn't shut down... connect your delivery device again, but only tighten it so it barely makes contact... then try to vape it again. If you can vape it without the vamo shutting down, then you probably need to replace the rubber gasket under the center pin. See the Ohm's fix thread on how to do that.

no, the vamo does not shut down with nothing attached. actaully, nothing has shut down since i changed out the batt. i do have an efest in there now, which could be the solution. once this batt dies, i will try an AW to see if its the size of the batt creating the problem. if so, ill get the new gold spring.
i sure hope its not my center pin. ive always been careful not to compact it, but lately ive been getign annoyed at the loose 510 connection mine has. i end up screwing down my tanks tighter than i normally would in an attempt to sturdy-up the 510 connection and make the tank not wobbly.
thanks for the link.

Mine does the same thing with new 18650's...about once a day...I leave it as is.

glad to hear this hasnt developed into a major issue for you. i was beginning to get worried (for me, lol).

Another thought: The Vamo will auto shut off if you hold the fire button for over 10 seconds (I believe). I found that if you hold the button too long for a lot of vapor, the Vamo will shut off completely, and needs to be restarted with 5 fast clicks again.

hmmmm, maybe i was holding it down for that long. its not that likely, but certainly possible. ive never hit the cutoff before, but i did just load up a new flavor for my RBA and it was particularly delightful so maybe i was hittign the cutoff!

-------------------

thanks for the help everyone. i will report back if i continue to have the issue. :)

Last edited:

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
no, i have the original skinnier spring
You must have one of the older Vamos. Good idea to change the spring right away. And yes, that could very well be the problem. I believe peraspera posted some good links somewhere on where to get some replacement springs. Hopefully she'll show up and post those links.

EDIT... found it... HERE'S peraspera's post.

Last edited:

hellcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
GA
having the same issue here, adjusted the center pin and really didn't notice a difference. I have been rocking a vivi nova and from what I have heard on the grapevine is that vivi's are notorious for compacting center pins. going to try out my new AGA T and AGI to see if I continue to have the same problem. I have the Vamo V2 so in my case it is definitely not the spring. I would like to resolve the issue because its incredibly annoying. I was thinking about getting another one but after having this one for about 2 months-ish not so sure if I am already having issues even with brand new batteries. I have dropped mine a time or two but they haven't been major. I wan't to say that something has gone awry with the electronic side because it cuts off at random even when I don't hold down more than say 5 secs. I also have issues turning it back on after it cuts off. I give it enough time to reset and sometimes it still takes me nearly 5 tries to get it to turn back on. As long as it still works I am ok but am thinking it might be time for a new mod, perhaps something else. shame because I really love my Vamo.

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
Another thought: The Vamo will auto shut off if you hold the fire button for over 10 seconds (I believe). I found that if you hold the button too long for a lot of vapor, the Vamo will shut off completely, and needs to be restarted with 5 fast clicks again.
Incorrect.
It will stop current to the attached device, yet will remain on.

Close to the 401 myself OP, but it unfortunately sounds like a short/problem in and around the PCB and it's wiring...

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
having the same issue here, adjusted the center pin and really didn't notice a difference. I have been rocking a vivi nova and from what I have heard on the grapevine is that vivi's are notorious for compacting center pins. going to try out my new AGA T and AGI to see if I continue to have the same problem. I have the Vamo V2 so in my case it is definitely not the spring. I would like to resolve the issue because its incredibly annoying. I was thinking about getting another one but after having this one for about 2 months-ish not so sure if I am already having issues even with brand new batteries. I have dropped mine a time or two but they haven't been major. I wan't to say that something has gone awry with the electronic side because it cuts off at random even when I don't hold down more than say 5 secs. I also have issues turning it back on after it cuts off. I give it enough time to reset and sometimes it still takes me nearly 5 tries to get it to turn back on. As long as it still works I am ok but am thinking it might be time for a new mod, perhaps something else. shame because I really love my Vamo.

i have the same problem regarding the turning back on of the vamo. i click the button 5 times fast...nothing. this happens every so often. other times, i'll click it 5 times and by the third or fourth click, its back on. the thing has a mind of its own.
im always very careful of my center pin. i never tighten things down tightly. the vivi nova can damage a center pin just as well as any other topper you put on there- its just matter of how hard you screw it down. in fact the nova is more forgiving then other systems due to its adjustable center pin.
anyway, i got myself a new spring in the mail from Smoktek. it was only a buck fifty. i plan to jus tplace it right over the existing spring. i think itll help with my turning off issue. and itll probably help with the batt rattle too.
i really like my vamo, but if this doesnt cure my problem, i may end up putting the vamo in the reserves drawer.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I saw a video earlier today, and the reviewer said to stretch the spring out (On the battery cap?)

i saw that too. i tried it and it worked for a little while, then i think the spring just went back to its normal state. i didnt want to stretch it too hard. so i just got a new spring.

Incorrect.
It will stop current to the attached device, yet will remain on.

Close to the 401 myself OP, but it unfortunately sounds like a short/problem in and around the PCB and it's wiring...

right on! you must be near me for you to even know what in the heck "Roe Dylin" even means lol. good stuff, System. good to see you.

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
Thing is, if it was shutting off because of a loss of contact with the battery, it would not flash first. I am on my 3rd Vamo in 2 months. The first one had a problem with the left button not making contact with the PCB now and again. The second one though, it started giving me the same problem - would flash, then turn off. After a couple of weeks, it would alternate flashing 02, and just plain flashing, about every other time for some reason. I searched the web for hours looking for a solution. The only solution that people seemed to have success with was actually taking the head off of the Vamo and reseating everything, and not only do I not have the proper tools to do that without damaging the finish on my Vamo, but I really wasn't too enthused about the prospect in general, so I returned the Vamo for a 70% refund. In the meantime, I ordered another Vamo from another vendor because they were having a huge sale. I was shocked when I received it. It was gorgeous. It looked like it had been hand-polished almost, and the screen wasn't all scratched up. More investigation ensued. I found out that there is more than one manufacturer of the Vamo, and some (KSD) make a really shoddy version of it. So far, I have had zero problems with it. If anything develops, I'll post it, but I'm getting good vibes from this one.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Thing is, if it was shutting off because of a loss of contact with the battery, it would not flash first. I am on my 3rd Vamo in 2 months. The first one had a problem with the left button not making contact with the PCB now and again. The second one though, it started giving me the same problem - would flash, then turn off. After a couple of weeks, it would alternate flashing 02, and just plain flashing, about every other time for some reason. I searched the web for hours looking for a solution. The only solution that people seemed to have success with was actually taking the head off of the Vamo and reseating everything, and not only do I not have the proper tools to do that without damaging the finish on my Vamo, but I really wasn't too enthused about the prospect in general, so I returned the Vamo for a 70% refund. In the meantime, I ordered another Vamo from another vendor because they were having a huge sale. I was shocked when I received it. It was gorgeous. It looked like it had been hand-polished almost, and the screen wasn't all scratched up. More investigation ensued. I found out that there is more than one manufacturer of the Vamo, and some (KSD) make a really shoddy version of it. So far, I have had zero problems with it. If anything develops, I'll post it, but I'm getting good vibes from this one.

so the issue deepens. interesting. there are at least 2 manufacturers of the vamo. KSD/Rainbow is apparently the shoddier one. im guessign Vision's Vamo is the better one based on what you describe. there might be other manufacturers of the vamo too, ive seen them called ego vv/vw apv and also Bamboo- probably because of the segmented design.

my vamo might be the KSD/Rainbow one. the screen did come scratched and it was not all that shiny. but i got a killer deal on it so im not concerned. if it poops the bed, oh well, i wont be losing any sleep. its a great device and i hope it doesnt die, but i am prepared for it to eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread