Why is Knight E-cigs advertising on a free gaming website

Status
Not open for further replies.

kklogan

Sep 15, 2009
Washington DC
So I am killing time playing bejeweled online and there are ads that pop up from time to time. One time one about ecigs pops up with the phrase "can smoking really be healthy" and "fake cigarettes" in it. I click on the link and am brought to one of those ad pages designed to look like a news report and on the bottom of the page is a free trial offer from Knight E-cigs.
Bejeweled is not necessarily an adult specific game and the site that I was playing from clearly is geared towards a younger audience even advertising downloads of Nickelodeon and nintendo games. This is extremely irresponsible and exactly what the California case was citing that these products were being marketed to kids.
I was wondering if what anybody's thoughts were about this and if anyone thinks the forum members should try to pressure Knight Ecigs to stop this kind of marketing. It seems like this kind of marketing works against acceptance of ecigs as a a safe alternative to smoking for adults and adds fuel to the fire for those who would like to take this away. Imagine if a tobacco company was caught advertising on a site that is likely used by kids. If anybody wants links and and specific name of the game site I can give it later.

Fenix-T

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2010
NC
A guy I work with was interested in ecigs. I gave him a list of sites to check out (vendors and forums).

A couple of days later he comes to me with a grin on his face saying he bought a "Knight Cig". *facepalm*

I never even heard of them (that's what I told him). Then when he gets it, it's a cardboard cig charger pack (like the green one on DealExtreme) with what looks like a KR808 model with 510 threads. The cartomizer for it screwed perfectly onto a 510 and was the exact same width.

DeXTeR

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2010
Valley Head, Alabama
www.vaporjunction.com
One thing that you have to bare in mind with this is the fact that it is more than likely NOT the e-cig retailer pushing these types of ads. They have signed up for a CPA network and letting other's promote their product, of course for a % per sale.

There are some very sleazy IM'ers (Internet Marketers) out there. Some will use sites such as e-zine articles writing a huge article on the benefits etc. and at the bottom will be a link to their affilliate account. They take out ads on free gaming sites, facebook, twitter, etc. Other's purchase ads on sites like adbrite and blacklabel ads which is where you will find the ads on warez / torrent / adult sites, etc. Anywhere a cheap ad can be purchased.

Even though this is really no fault of the e-cig retailer, in my opinion e-cigs are one of those products that shouldn't be allowed into CPA networks. If they are allowed they should be a bit more regulated about what content / media types are allowed to be used.

I just woke up and I'm lazy this morning but here is a quick semi-example of what I'm talking about so you know where I'm coming from.

http://howtomake10kpermonth.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/warriorspecialoffer.pdf

Side Note: I am in no way affiliated with that link. It is only an example of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

lonercom

ECF Veteran
It seems to me that many sites just have open links. Some of the advertisers push random ads. Ex: I'm checking my RoadRunner email and see an ad for Verizon Fios... I'm sure that Brighthouse woud not like that. In fact, I work there so I know we don't. POOF, they are gone.

Other companies insert ads based on your internet history and cookie info. That probably explains all of the ...... ads that I get and may explain why you saw an ad for that particular vendor.

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
It seems to me that many sites just have open links. Some of the advertisers push random ads. Ex: I'm checking my RoadRunner email and see an ad for Verizon Fios... I'm sure that Brighthouse woud not like that. In fact, I work there so I know we don't. POOF, they are gone.

Other companies insert ads based on your internet history and cookie info. That probably explains all of the ...... ads that I get and may explain why you saw an ad for that particular vendor.

Sorry Bob...I can't help myself....

Are you sure that is why you keep getting a lot of ...... ads 8-o

Maureen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread